Music Hall CD-25 upgrade: DAC or mods?
Jan 5, 2005 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I've been doing some research in anticipation of upgrading my source a couple of months from now. I first considered adding a DAC to my system, looking especially at the Bel Canto DAC2 and the Benchmark DAC1. More recently I've considered having my CD-25 modded.

I find the Benchmark DAC1 very appealing for several reasons. First and foremost, the reviews are glowing, and it seems to have the neutral sound I favor. It would also provide an "interim" amp upgrade until I can afford something more appropriate (or perhaps I would need no upgrade at all? I've been able to find little about the DAC1's capabilities as a headamp.) This is a major point for me, as I suspect my Cmoy is severely underpowered for the rest of my system. Lastly, it has balanced outputs, which I'd like to have even though I have no immediate plans of using them.

Modding is the other obviously option for the CD-25. Since I already have the player, the PS3 mods from Sound Odyssey would presumably be about half the price of a DAC1. However, this would leave me with no amp upgrade and no balanced outputs.

Above all, I'm going for "high-end value." In light of that, which option is best? I'm envision pairing either of the above with a Prehead and possibly making an incremental headphone upgrade (HD650 or similar,) at which time I'll essentially have reached the limit of what I can afford for the near future. Would the DAC1 have further viability for upgrades, for example, if I wanted to use it with a Blockhead and balanced headphones? Or would a more modest mod upgrade to the CD-25 be prudent, with the intention of replacing it altogether in the future?

Any advice is much appreciated!

- Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back