Music > Gaming > Movie All-round Cans
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FightCat

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Looking for a set of cans to use in gaming, I sifted through your typical "gaming headset" garbage and got nothing. Luckily I came across with Mad Lust Envy's legendary thread and I got myself a shortlist consisting of:

Philips Fidelio X1
Sony MDR-MA900
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
AKG K702 65th Ann. Edition

I love bass, I love immersion so bass is important -that does not mean I'm in for any kind of muddy lows. I just want to feel the beat as they would say, the depth (resonance?) and clarity is essential.

I'm not your pro gamer -but an avid gamer nonetheless- however I'd like to experience being able to hear the audible positioning clues from the environment. 

I've been told that the last two from my list are hard to drive without an external amp. That may be a game changer for me too.

Still, I want to purchase a quality headphone and at some other Turkish hi-fi place, they told me that hi-fi headphones may not be my thing and some recommended the new 9.1 wireless Sony HW700DS headphones.

What do I do? What would you recommend from the list or add into it ?

Thank you.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Philips Fidelio X1 Sony MDR-MA900
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
AKG K702 65th Ann. Edition
I love bass, I love immersion so bass is important -that does not mean I'm in for any kind of muddy lows. I just want to feel the beat as they would say, the depth (resonance?) and clarity is essential.
I'm not your pro gamer -but an avid gamer nonetheless- however I'd like to experience being able to hear the audible positioning clues from the environment. 
I've been told that the last two from my list are hard to drive without an external amp. That may be a game changer for me too.
Still, I want to purchase a quality headphone and at some other Turkish hi-fi place, they told me that hi-fi headphones may not be my thing and some recommended the new 9.1 wireless Sony HW700DS headphones.
What do I do? What would you recommend from the list

I would say to get the Sony MDR-MA900s.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 16
I own a set of DT990 premiums.  I'd say go for the DT990 pro.

I bought them after reading this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

I've been very happy with them.  They're very comfortable too, can wear them for hours.

HOWEVER, reading the updated MA900 review he added, I might go for those if I were buying today.  He seems to like them.  I'd have to go try them out. That said, I love my DT990 headphones, so I'm more than happy.

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 16
  Why no AKG K702s ?

I'm sure the AKG K 702s are great, but they cost a bit more then the MA900
and you really want to use the AKG K702 with a decent headphone amplifier.
The MA900 are easier to drive.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 16
  I'm sure the AKG K 702s are great, but they cost a bit more then the MA900
and you really want to use the AKG K702 with a decent headphone amplifier.
The MA900 are easier to drive.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

Mostly my laptop and portable music players would be nice too. So I can guess you're right to prioritize the ease of driving among other things.

However, that wouldn't mean that my headphone experience may not evolve either.

One question pops into mind: Why is Beyer 990 Pro cheaper than cans which perform worse compared ? Is it about age of the models or the need to drive is a divider on the value ?

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 16
  Mostly my laptop and portable music players would be nice too. So I can guess you're right to prioritize the ease of driving among other things.

However, that wouldn't mean that my headphone experience may not evolve either.

One question pops into mind: Why is Beyer 990 Pro cheaper than cans which perform worse compared ? Is it about age of the models or the need to drive is a divider on the value ?

I would assume the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are designed to appeal to younger people who go for the heavy bass, and loud music, and who may not be will to spend a lot of cash on headphones.
Where as the DT880 appeals to more serious and dedicated music crowd, who are more into clarity and a balanced sound and who are willing to spend more cash.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 16
  I would assume the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are designed to appeal to younger people who go for the heavy bass, and loud music, and who may not be will to spend a lot of cash on headphones.
Where as the DT880 appeals to more serious and dedicated music crowd, who are more into clarity and a balanced sound and who are willing to spend more cash.

Is it CERTAIN that I'd need amp for AKG K702 and Beyer (250 ohm) ?

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 16

You know what's weird, I really don't like too much bass, but I quite like the DT990 premium 250 ohms I own and I don't think it has too much bass..  Then again I mainly use them for gaming and movies so a bit more bass is good for those two things (explosions sound good). Also the larger (apparently) sound stage is perfect for movies and gaming with Dolby Headphone etc. I should try running some music through them and see how it appeals to me... usually I just use my Philips L2s for music these days.

I think I may have found an excuse to buy another set of headphones... not sure if I should thank you or not. :p

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 16
I got myself a pair of HD650. From what I've heard they have a vertical depth rather than a wide soundstage.

I'm not sure how bad of a decision I've made since my 2nd priority of headphone use would be gaming but I couldn't resist praises HD650 received for music listening.

Ultimately, I'm not sure if I had got myself a HE-400 or Ultrasone Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back