Music for small get together (what are my options)
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dpgriff

New Head-Fier
I don't know anything really about home audio but i'm looking for someway to set up a system that would work well for when I have people over like small parties. Most people I know use speakers like iHomes but they usually don't get that loud or don't have the best sound quality. I know more about car audio. I'm looking for good sound quality but don't have thousands of dollars to be throwing away. I've read that computer speakers aren't good for these kind of settings. What are my options? I think i'm looking for like two bookshelf speakers and a sub. Will I need a giant receiver though? I want something that can be hooked up easily to an ipod/zune. Ideally this system would be easy to move too. This isn't exactly "high-end" but I figured people on the forum would be able to help me out the most. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm not sure if this is the popular opinion, but if I were you, I'd look at Parts-Express, and build your own DIY home audio. I'd recommend looking into Dayton Audio specifically, as they're no-frills, performance-oriented drivers that sound great and are cheap. For instance, I'm planning on getting a few 3-4" fullrange speakers for satellites, and I plan on building bookshelves for the front, consisting of(most likely) an 8" woofer, 4" midrange, and 1" tweeter, or a 10" woofer, 6" and 3" midrange, and then a 1" tweeter. I don't know for sure if I'll be getting a 1" tweeter, or something slightly larger, but that's the plan.

A nice center channel would be easy as well, along with a nice subwoofer. I have a plan to go full Dayton Audio in my car, with a 4" midrange and tweeter in the kick panels, 7" woofers in the doors, with two 15" subwoofers placed in an infinite baffle setup on my rear deck. As you've just seen above, I've got a similar plan for my home theater.

But what do you mean by easy to move? Do you mean the speakers specifically, or the whole setup from room to room, or do you mean moving it entirely from one house to another, frequently? If that's what you're implying, then I'd just make two-four(depending on the size of the room, listening positions, etc.) bookshelves and a sub. You'll need a receiver(probably with USB, unless you're okay with using 3.5mm to RCA adapters) and an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back