Music for babies
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jeffro

100+ Head-Fier
My wife and I are having our first baby this year and naturally I am interested in getting the little one hooked on music while still in the womb.

I heard people play music by placing headphones on mom's belly? Does anyone know of a good resource for music that a fetus would enjoy? (Never thought I would type that!)

I'm not sure if the baby will like the laid back soundstage of my Beyerdynamic 880's or the upfront stage of hy Grado HF-1's. Any thoughts?
wink.gif
I guess the Grado's will work best, since they fold nicely onto bellies.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't know about specific types of music but my baby absolutely loved my singing. Often times when she would get active I would start singing and she would settle down. I also ring handbells at church and those made her particularly active. If you like classical music I think that type is suppose to be good for babies to listen to.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about specific types of music but my baby absolutely loved my singing. Often times when she would get active I would start singing and she would settle down. I also ring handbells at church and those made her particularly active. If you like classical music I think that type is suppose to be good for babies to listen to.

I agree, I think connecting with the parents voices is probably the best thing.

Plus, it depends on how the mother is doing. I was spending most of my time taking care of her, because she had a very rough pregnancy.. make sure her needs are met.

My kids heard whatever we were listening to, I'm sure, it was a good mix of stuff, but we never played anything specifically for them.

These days (they're 4 and 8 now), they just gobble up any kind of music that I play for them.. They love Raffi, but they also love Mozart.

just do what comes naturally.. and take care of your wife
wink.gif

-jar

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I heard people play music by placing headphones on mom's belly? Does anyone know of a good resource for music that a fetus would enjoy? (Never thought I would type that!)

I'd advise consulting a doctor before doing so -- the human body and the amniotic fluid are very good conductors of sound, and the fetus might be subjected to an inappropriately high volume.

This said, perhaps you may want to sample Music for Babies by Howie B. Very laid back ambient music.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 13
I did this when my wife was pregnant with my daughter, Hana. I read quite a few resources and most said that any type of music was good, genre really doesn't make much of a difference.

I played jazz for Hana, and after she was born it seemed that she could recognize the music that I played for her.

She really loves music now (she's 14 months), but not so crazy about my HD600's. They don't fit her too well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard people play music by placing headphones on mom's belly?

Some people drink urine too. Doesn't mean its always a good idea.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two words:

Rockabye Baby!

Example: Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of Radiohead

oh just let them listen to Radiohead. it's not going to hurt them. it's like idiots who feed their babies that Gerber baby food crap.. it's like, they don't realize that it's OK to feed them regular food.. mash the food up yerself and feed it to them.. you'll not only feel better about it, you'll be doing your baby a favor by giving them food that has real flavor.. unless you want to turn them into picky eaters who hate everything.. um.. ok, this is a music board, not a parenting board.. oh well..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 13
My parents attribute my fondness for Annie Lennox to the fact that they played the Eurythmics so much while I was a baby. So on that tenuous proof, I'd say that what's played so young will have some degree of influence on future listening. I've no suppression's to recommend anything for your child though, another Mike Oldfield fan in the making would be no bad thing though
biggrin.gif
maybe the Hergest Ridge part 1 would be suitably soothing?

I hope that your baby is born healthy and well.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Thank you for the responses. I especially like Coltrane's response. I wasn't expecting a GWAR reference from that avatar!

I think I will just play whatever makes me and my wife happy. The little one can play his/her music of choice when he/she is a teenager. I can't even imagine what awful music will be around then. I'll have to direct the kid to this music forum.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 13
My daughter is now 16 months old and listens frequently to Mighty Sam McClain when going to bed!

The Give it up to love - CD shes seem to love!

When we put her to bed she exclaims "SAM!"

If I ask her "what does Sam play?" she exclaims "BLUUUUES"

Thats my girl!!! Loving the Blues at 16 months old!!!

She is beyond her years in may ways. 90% in height for her age, she counts to 16 and she knows all of her alphabet letters and can identify all of them at random! (proud daddy!)

I say get em started early!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back