Music file encoding - help
Feb 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Ok - so I have set myself the goal of encoding my entire music collection to lossless or at the least 320Kbit.

My question is, should i choose aiff or wav? I know there is no sonic difference between the to, right?

So.. is the only thing I have to worry about is compatibility with OS'es(win., linux, mac) and DAP'ers(iPod, other)?

I was leaning towards aiff, simply becuase i am on a mac and already have some aiff files.

NOTE: if this is in the wrong forum - please move it
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 5
Between AIFF and WAV I would choose AIFF, since afaik it has metadata and artwork support. Which WAV does not.
But seriously I would pick Apple Lossless over any of them, since you get identical sound data in smaller files.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 5
Oh man, cool!

I never realized that aiff has support for metadata and artwork. I was thinking of using apple lossless for this sole reason - but that really clears it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much, i am going aiff since it is played by more devices then Apple lossless (i guess?) and because file size isn't really an issue. (yet :p)

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 5
the only thing I would say about using apple lossless is if you ever change platform and a different player there MAY be a need to convert them to something else, depending on your storage capacity and just how much you have you may want to look into .flac to use as a storage solution and then have a copy of those in to the format to load to your player. If you library is too big then this may not be the best option. This is just to put an other type of solution out there there may be even better but this may be 1 for someone to look at. i keep my music on an external HDD and move and convert music as I need it and always have a back-up to go to

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 5
What will you be using as play back? I would pick FLAC or Apple Lossless. You can always re-encode from the files later. There are programs that will do it automatically.

FLAC and Apple Lossless will be about half the size of AIFF or WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back