Music Fidelity X-V3 bundle thoughts?
May 10, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 15
I can only compare it to my Music Hall MMF CD25 w UW 1+ Upgrade, which 6 Moons suggests is comparable to $2000 CD players.

The MF X-Series is fast, clear, very detailed, warm, weighty, and textured with a big, airy soundstage - with a slight bit more of everything than the CD25 1+.

But, that slight refinement of the sound comes at a bit of a premium over the CD25 1+. If you're going to add the XCAN v3, and possibly the Phono Stage - which also use the X-PSU and X-10 Tube Buffer - then the combined synergy of the entire setup might justify the added cost over the very fine MH MMF CD25 1+.

There are several professional reviews of the XCAN v3 (often including the X Series) and the X Series specfically. I'd search for those, and check them out. You can start with those listed on the MF sight, and then do a Google search. If you can't find them all, I've got most of them and could send them to you.

I can say the X Series sounds magical with the HD650's, and the RS-1's.

GF2

May 10, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 15
With my experiences with the Xcan, I do not consider the XPSU to be worth it. Better sound can be achieved by improving the parts inside.

I'm not sure about the DAC but people have modded the tube buffer although I don't quite remember the results.

May 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
With my experiences with the Xcan, I do not consider the XPSU to be worth it. Better sound can be achieved by improving the parts inside.

I'm not sure about the DAC but people have modded the tube buffer although I don't quite remember the results.

Music Direct is pretty much throwing in the PSU for free in the DAC/X10 bundle. ($1300 for all 3)

May 10, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 15
I have had my X-DAC and PSU for a while now, and I agree with Gradofan2's comments. The X-PSU makes a big difference to the X-DAC - transforming it from merely a "good" source to an outstanding one - detailed, extremely low noise floor and very smooth. If you read the marketing stuff on their site, they mention that it is "measurably" one of the best dacs available, which my subjective impressions would agree with. I am suprised at how "unknown" it is on this forum.

May 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 15
I haven't heard the X-10 tube buffer yet, but I don't see the benifit on adding an link in the audio chain - no matter how you look at it, it will be adding *some sort of distortion. Whether or not it sounds "pleasant" is down to personal preference, but to the purist, it doesn't matter.

May 10, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_45
I have had my X-DAC and PSU for a while now, and I agree with Gradofan2's comments. The X-PSU makes a big difference to the X-DAC - transforming it from merely a "good" source to an outstanding one - detailed, extremely low noise floor and very smooth. If you read the marketing stuff on their site, they mention that it is "measurably" one of the best dacs available, which my subjective impressions would agree with. I am suprised at how "unknown" it is on this forum.

Quote:

I haven't heard the X-10 tube buffer yet, but I don't see the benifit on adding an link in the audio chain - no matter how you look at it, it will be adding *some sort of distortion. Whether or not it sounds "pleasant" is down to personal preference, but to the purist, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the further comments. All the reviews for the X10 have also been outstanding and none have mentioned dramatic colorations or fuzziness. The X10 is also limited to just under 5000 units being made due to the rarity of the tubes.

I'm going to call amusicdirect to see if they offer in house auditioning.

May 10, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the further comments. All the reviews for the X10 have also been outstanding and none have mentioned dramatic colorations or fuzziness. The X10 is also limited to just under 5000 units being made due to the rarity of the tubes.

I'm going to call amusicdirect to see if they offer in house auditioning.

I think this a good idea. From what I've heard, most people love the sound of the X10, although for me, I have reservations for the reasons already given. I really enjoy my X-series setup and I think a lot of people mistake the V3 as being direct successor to the "mid-range-ish" X-DAC v1 whereas it was actually intended to replace the Trivistor 21.

May 11, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 15
If you end up buying it you should visit PinkFloyd's website. He has done extensive mods to the buffer and the headphone amp. I have an X-Can V3 modified by PinkFloyd and the difference is amazing and relatively inexpensive. Good luck.

May 11, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I added X-10 to my audio chain pretty early due to not so good availability here in Finland. Later this summer I am going to complete the Small X-series with X-Can, X-Psu and X-Dac.

Atm. the X-10 is sitting between E-MU 1212M and Rega Ear. Few weeks ago I tested my setup by removing the X-10 from the chain and the sound changed noticeably. How I would describe the difference shortly is that the sound became less pleasant.

X-10 makes the sound fuller, richer and also less edgy. It does not lose detail, actually quite contrary. By making the sound fuller I actually feel an increase in details. If you feel that you do not want to add extra chain to your setup then the X-10 might not be for you. Though it is designed so that you "barely notice it is there" and how I see it the positive effects overcome the negative, which I actually don't even feel exist at least in my system.

I suggest you give it a try in your system because considering the price it is a bargain if you want to add tubes. On the other hand you need to get extra pair of interconnectors and that is where it will get expensive. For me X-10 is the soul of my system by bringing music life with more natural and pleasant sound.

May 11, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 15
I often use a MF X10-D v2 in my computer system. With a source like that, I am of the opinion the sound does not deteriorate dramatically. On the contrary: the X10-D does add the tube magic to the sound, i.e. “flesh and blood” to singers, perceived better spatial cues, a more engaging sound, et cetera. I warmly recommend this device for low to mid priced systems.

EDIT: Spelling of X10-D...

May 11, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lator
I added X-10 to my audio chain pretty early due to not so good availability here in Finland. Later this summer I am going to complete the Small X-series with X-Can, X-Psu and X-Dac.

Atm. the X-10 is sitting between E-MU 1212M and Rega Ear. Few weeks ago I tested my setup by removing the X-10 from the chain and the sound changed noticeably. How I would describe the difference shortly is that the sound became less pleasant.

X-10 makes the sound fuller, richer and also less edgy. It does not lose detail, actually quite contrary. By making the sound fuller I actually feel an increase in details. If you feel that you do not want to add extra chain to your setup then the X-10 might not be for you. Though it is designed so that you "barely notice it is there" and how I see it the positive effects overcome the negative, which I actually don't even feel exist at least in my system.

I suggest you give it a try in your system because considering the price it is a bargain if you want to add tubes. On the other hand you need to get extra pair of interconnectors and that is where it will get expensive. For me X-10 is the soul of my system by bringing music life with more natural and pleasant sound.

This is very interesting, but by no means suprising to me as I have read similar things in the past. If I get the chance to buy one at a decent price, I'll probably give it a shot (just out of curiousity). Supposedly the X-10 tube stages makes the X-DAC indistingiushable from the Tri-Vista SACD, which probably isn't a bad thing
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 15
great post. I recently purchased a "hi-fi" home setup and am using a Musical Fidelity A5 amp/CDP. I love the sound. I also just recieved the musicdirect catalog and noticed the sale price of the X-series stack which is intriuging. Currently, my headphone setup is headroom microstack and HD650. I cant help but wonder how the musical fidelity DAC/tube preamp/power supply/and xcan amp would sound with the 650s with the Mac as a source....or the xcan alone with the MF A5 CDp.......hopefully musicdirect has a return policy...keep us posted if you purchase..j3

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I recently completed my X-collection and I think I could post some initial impressions at this point. I still feel the sound has not completely "broken-in" yet, but some notes so far:

- Powerful and controlled low end. Drums have authority and strength. Bass guitar sounds controlled and very appropriate. Low end does not dominate the sound but goes with the flow perfectly (credit: X-Psu controlling power distribution.

- Involving vocals. Both male and female vocals sound very natural, the emotional message of the music and vocalists is very well delivered. Especially male vocals have improved dramatically over my old setup. (credit: X-10 and X-Can tubes)

- Overall increase in details, especially background details. I can hear new effects and subtle details from my records. The details also blend in very well which seems to be the quality overall with this setup. (credit: X-Dac making D/A conversion + overall synergy of products designed to work together)

- Natural acoustics. Even though listening with phones, some aspects of speaker setups are imminent. Echoes of acoustic guitars, cymbals, sax and other instruments are present. (credit: Not all clear, but I would think this might be result based mostly of the hybrid design of X-Can amp)

These things have come to my mind these first few days. Like I said at the beginning of this post I still feel the sound is not complete yet but the equipment still needs more break-in. I base this to the fact that when I got my X-10 it took many weeks for the sound to become constant. Level of distortion varied a lot at start but after about a month it toned down to a level of almost non existant.

I do not intentionally break-in my equipment and I won't make exception this time either. I want to perceive the changes in sound myself and so it will take a little time to give my final word with this setup. Alltough the beginning is very promising and I am enjoying music a lot with this setup. If I dare I could almost claim the sound is currently very "musical" and I only expect it to get better and better over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back