Music Fidelity V-Link
Feb 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ITCW

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm wondering if I should get a Music Fidelity V-Link USB to SPDIF Converter. My current set-up is this:

PC---> DacMagic---> Woo Audio 3 tube amp (WA3)---> BeyerDynamic T1 Headphones

The DacMagic is connected to my PC via a USB cable. I've read that it's not the optimal connection, because of jitter and the lack of 24/96 file support.

I've read conflicting reports on whether the Music Fidelity V-Link will actually improve my set-up. Some say it won't make a difference for people who don't have 24bit/96khz files (I only have 16bit/44.1khz files).

But others say the V-Link's ability to get rid of jitter will improve my sound, even though I can't take advantage of the V-Link's 24/96 support.

Would getting a Music Fidelity V-Link give me a noticeable improvement in sound, even though I only play 16/44.1 files? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 3
I just got mine a week or so ago.  For regular 44.1kHz 16 bit files the difference is very slight if any from what I can tell.  I'd say the sound is "clearer" so it does change the sound a bit.  Biggest difference is a stronger(ei louder) signal through the s/pdif than the USB.  I've wanted one of these converters for my high resolution files and I did not expect a great sonic difference for the DacMagic since it re-clocks the input anyway.  I'm still evaluating mine so my view might change.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply, Bloodoath.

It seems some people say jitter will introduce distortion and artifacts that affect sound, while others say jitter won't have audible effects.

Anyone else have experience with the DacMagic and the V-Link, and whether the latter is worth getting to reduce jitter? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back