Music Fidelity A5......any other suggestions in price range?
Jan 28, 2006 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, my father is in the process of demoing the Music Fidelity A5 with his home theater (not headphone system). So far he can't believe how much better this sounds than the Integra 8.3 UCDP with redbooks. My only conscern is that he might not getting the absolute best unit for his money. If he were to go to the store where he recieved the demo, he would be able to bring it home for about $2500 USD. So, my question is, do you audio geniuses know of any other cd player that would have an overall higher soundquality on redbooks for the same price or less? The price could probably be pushed to $3000 USD. How about a fully modded Esound E5 from reference audio? Any suggestions are welcome!!!
eggosmile.gif

Also, the father figure has sacd's and dvda's, so another UCDP would definetley be an option as long as its pretty much within the price range and the redbook performance is equal or better than the mf A5........if this dream machine even exists
biggrin.gif

peace

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I own the A5...great machine! It's been in my system for several months now and I continue to be impressed by it. A lot of members here like the Meridian G08 (used around $2800). I actually bought my A5 used in the upper teens. I know audioasylum and audiogon both have a few reviews worth reading on the A5. I chose the player of a $4000+ Lector. Fact of the matter is that between 2 to 5k the players are all comperable and listening preferences sway the strongest...A5 neutral (striking the balance I like between warmth and detail)...Lector better bass but didn't fair as well with the rest of my system.

You can't go very wrong in this price point these days...

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I would disagree that you can't go very wrong in this pricepoint as I feel there is no pricepoint at which people will be safeguarded from let down.

I was very interested in the a5 at one point. I owned the Musical Fidelity a308cr and really loved how it sounded. The lower priced A5 came along and was supposed to be an even better sounding unit which I was on the verge of checking out, but instead made the mistake of buying the G08. I'm not gonna suggest you shouldn't audition the unit, but as a former Musical Fidelity owner I have my doubts that it will be up his alley. I found the MuFis to be legitimately musical and emotionally communicative--things I could not say about the G08.

That said, I am currently using a Berendsen CDP-I which I feel is something very special. Theres limited information on it, but I've seen it in a few head-fier's profiles so its starting to catch on. IIRC retail is ~$2600 and in my opinion it is the most enjoyable redbook I have heard. I'll conceed that some sources might do some things slightly better here and there, but I've heard some pretty high dollar units and nothing (in the digital realm) has brought me closer to the music.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I would disagree that you can't go very wrong in this pricepoint as I feel there is no pricepoint at which people will be safeguarded from let down.

I was very interested in the a5 at one point. I owned the Musical Fidelity a308cr and really loved how it sounded. The lower priced A5 came along and was supposed to be an even better sounding unit which I was on the verge of checking out, but instead made the mistake of buying the G08. I'm not gonna suggest you shouldn't audition the unit, but as a former Musical Fidelity owner I have my doubts that it will be up his alley. I found the MuFis to be legitimately musical and emotionally communicative--things I could not say about the G08.

That said, I am currently using a Berendsen CDP-I which I feel is something very special. Theres limited information on it, but I've seen it in a few head-fier's profiles so its starting to catch on. IIRC retail is ~$2600 and in my opinion it is the most enjoyable redbook I have heard. I'll conceed that some sources might do some things slightly better here and there, but I've heard some pretty high dollar units and nothing (in the digital realm) has brought me closer to the music.

so I guess it would be between the a5 and the berendsen from the recommendations so far. how would a fully modded esound e5 from reference audio compare?

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 7
I've had the chance to compare the www.modwright.com tubed (platinum) Sony999es to the MF last week. The Sony is still the king in this price range. Plus you get the option of sacd (very, very good) with it. My friend has also added the new clock to the machine and its even better than before, I think its as maxxed out as you can get with the seperate power to the tubes and whole nine yards. I have heard NOTHING that can compete under $4-5K new with this machine.

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I've had the chance to compare the www.modwright.com tubed (platinum) Sony999es to the MF last week. The Sony is still the king in this price range. Plus you get the option of sacd (very, very good) with it. My friend has also added the new clock to the machine and its even better than before, I think its as maxxed out as you can get with the seperate power to the tubes and whole nine yards. I have heard NOTHING that can compete under $4-5K new with this machine.

Say my dad gets a stock 999ES and also has modwright do the Platinum $1750 mod package, is that everything you can do to it? you mentioned your friend "added the new clock" is that something that is in the platinum modwright package or something completely different? same with the seperate power to the tubes, is that included in the plat modwright package?

Thanks for all the help.............my dad says gracias also

Peace
eggosmile.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
Say my dad gets a stock 999ES and also has modwright do the Platinum $1750 mod package, is that everything you can do to it? you mentioned your friend "added the new clock" is that something that is in the platinum modwright package or something completely different? same with the seperate power to the tubes, is that included in the plat modwright package?

Thanks for all the help.............my dad says gracias also

Peace
eggosmile.gif

I think the new super clock he uses is like 300.00 more. These players are on the level of the Cary 306/200, and Audio reseach CD3MKII redbook players both in the $5K plus price range. (acually better at redbook) And they shine with sacd. They are better IMO to any of the Meridians, Nuvistas, or trivista DAC. They also give dvd playback . I would order a new machine from modwright and have it done there and get the whole warranty and a new player. The tube power supply and special silver cord all come with the platinum package. Check on www.audiogon.com under sony or modwright for used model. I see them for used under $2K. And For under $3K dected out on a new machine with warranty is a steal in high end digital sound. I have also done head to head with my Sony SCD-1 and with large scale orcha. works, the 999es is much better than the scd-1 with this music. However for sweet, clean, and sexy vocals the scd-1 rules. MY friend just sold the Audio Reseach CD3 MKII and uses the modwright for redbook and some sacd and bought a SCD-1 for other sacd recordings.
This player has never come up short when compared to some of the better dacs and vinyl systems and other CDPs we have auditioned with it. Search here and online and read the reviews of the modwright players. Happy hunting!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back