music/equipment spending ratio
Jun 24, 2002 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

prisoner #6

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm sure we've all heard about those audiophiles who have spent thousands of dollars on their systems, while only having fairly small music collections to play on them.

In that vein, I'd be interested in knowing how much everyone spends on music relative to what they spend on equipment. In my case, I'm probably a bit on the music-side: I'd say I spend $5 on music for every $1 I spend on equipment.

I realize many of you may go in the other direction, particularly on a site like this, which is dedicated to equipment. I've got over 1,000 CDs that I've accumulated over the years, and I know I could have a much better system if I sold a lot of them off, but I can't bring myself to do it! I guess for me it's about the music first and foremost.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers,
prisoner #6

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by prisoner #6

I've got over 1,000 CDs that I've accumulated over the years, and I know I could have a much better system if I sold a lot of them off................

1,000 Cds Hmmmmmm
Have you heard of the Mystery Box? See the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=11353

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 3
interesting topic. i also used to follow the logic that the true music lover has a lot of titles until i met a fellow with maybe 200 cds and lps, all high quality stuff that he loved. his train of thought was that there weren't many great albums in the first place, and while he had a very nice setup he didn't feel the need to spend an equivalent amount of money on software (just to get the best sound out of the titles he had). plus the sad fact is a lot of people with high title counts have really bad music that they keep simply to have guady numbers (not saying you do), and i think that's much more deplorable than a $20k spread with 100 quality titles and nothing else.

i happen to be a completist (i collect full artist/band catalogs including limited runs and multiple releases) and really don't want to think about how much money i've spent on music and software
wink.gif
i figure counting whats been sold equipment and music wise i probably have about a 2:1 music to equipment ratio, however a lot of the money i've spent lately have been for rare vinyl pressings so it skews the numbers a tad. factor multiple pressings out of the mix and i'm probably even.

regards,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back