Music encoded with Windows Media Player incompatible with Rockbox?
May 10, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I copied on my rockboxed iriver some music encoded with Windows Media Player. The iriver does not want to play them. Is there any known incompatibility between Windows Media Player and Rockbox?
confused.gif

May 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Nothing supports WMA lossless, and Rockbox can't run WMA near real time.

If it's not WMA, I don't see why it won't work...

May 11, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 8
I know sometimes if I encode with WMP at high bitrates, they won't work on my Sony NW-A608. I think it's something to do with MPEG-1 Layer 3 vs. MPEG-2 Layer 3. Funny thing is, it doesn't do it all the time!

May 11, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Playing Windows Media format files requires a licensed player. Rockbox is "free". Thus the incompatibility.

May 11, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 8
WMP encoded files should work fine, if they are mp3's.

WMA is currently not supported by Rockbox, but last I heard, someone was working on it. as for WMA-Lossless, there are a few players that support it like iriver's and creative's old PMC players, I think Toshiba's Gigabeat S supports it as well.

May 11, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
Playing Windows Media format files requires a licensed player. Rockbox is "free". Thus the incompatibility.

Only for WMA files with DRM attached to it. You can record from Windows Media Player into MP3 which any MP3 player (should) be able to play. You can also record into unprotected WMA files which WMA players can play too - my mum uses a non-descript MP3/WMA player for her portable.

Also I believe that there is someone writing support for WMA files for use within Rockbox - it just won't be able to play WMA-DRM.

May 11, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 8
If I remember correctly Windows Media Player defaults to copying music into WMA formart and automatically adds its own DRM to any music you rip from your own CDs. If you go into Tools-->Options and click on the Copy tab (something like that - I can't remember off hand as I'm a Linux guy now) then there are options in there to NOT add copy protection to your own ripped music and (if you've got Windows Media Player 10) you can also change the files created into MP3 format as well.

However if your copying your files onto a player using Rockbox then I don't think that the support for WMA files is finished yet so whether or not they have DRM on them wouldn't really matter as Rockbox wouldn't be able to play them. If you create MP3s from your CD's then you should be alright though.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back