music disappearing/ ways to protect it?
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nburge

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have a problem with music disappearing on me. I have a large collection of music on my computer. I sometimes lose albums or songs or occasionally an entire discography. Maybe its something im doing that's making it disappear i dont know but I would like to know if there is a way i can lock my music or somehow protect it from disappearing? Also maybe some type of monitoring program for my music files. Thank you

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 17
What software are you using to listen to music? Are you talking about losing the actual files or the entries in the music library?

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 17
You may have a corrupted OS system. I reinstalled windows to my laptop and it works fine now. I lost a lot of cool music.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Make sure you back up everything! But you do that already, right?
Then make sure you use the latest version of the playback software (whatever it is). If really needed, you can give yourself read-only rights to the audio files/folders.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 17
Okay,
Let me clarify i am talking about the files themselves not the library as i only recently started using the library . I have a back up drive of my music. I am using the latest media monkey and foobar. occasionally a file will go missing .
I dont know if it got moved into another file by accident or deleted or just disappeared,maybe lost during a transfer. Its just wierd i upgraded to a new 750 gig drive and will be buying another soon. I was wondering if theres any software to lock & protect or monitor my music?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 17
I have recently installed xp 64 as well. It is an occasional thing for me to lose a file but it has happened quite a few times

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay,
I have a back up drive of my music.

What software are you using to copy your music files to backup drive. I ask b/c I recently lost some music files right after I backed up my music files using freeware Allway Sync. I've never had a problem with this program before, but some kind of error must have happened last time b/c I found some of my music files in the trash can. I restored what I could, but some were gone permanently.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well -> media monkey - Google Search

I wasn't being lazy, more asking for a human response of what it is. Their site will tell you it's a great music app, but a person will tell you if it's sloppy, bloated, spyware, etc.

OP - if you're using media monkey to rip and convert, I'd suggest EAC and dBpoweramp instead.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 17
i just right click then copy paste. thats how i transfer.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 17
i use eac and i just got db power amp.

Fwiw media monkey is fantastic. In fact the top players i have tried are foobar,media monkey,winamp,jriver media jukebox which has the bonus of controlling all of your media extremely well photos etc.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Okay so there is no program i take it to monitor your files or safeguard them. My best bet is to back up the files on more than one drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back