Music clubs?
Oct 27, 2002 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody ever join any of the music clubs like BMG or Colombia House? Just wondering if it ends up actually being a ripoff or if it is just too much of a pain in the butt to mess with. Thanks! --B

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 6
My experiences with Columbia House has been fairly positive. They don't carry most of what I like nowadays, but they do have a pretty big selection, and even I could probably find 12 CDs that I wouldn't mind having. My advice to you, however, is to fulfill your membership requirements as quickly as possible with the cheapest CDs that will fulfill requirements and then cancel your membership. The way CH gets money is by getting you on the monthly featured selections (if you forget to send in the response, they'll rape your arse with a $20 britney spears CD). If you check out Columbia House DVD threads, there are people (myself included) who have gotten many DVDs for about $10 a piece (usually expensive one too). I've heard of people joining and quitting as many as 35 times, and CH doesn't really care. They still make money so they don't inquire. I'm not sure about the CD club, but I know the DVD club allows you to have 2 memberships open at any one time. There is one caveat, however... and that is it usually takes them a bit of time to get you your first CDs out to you... like 6-8 weeks. If you have the patience, it can work out to be a very good deal, especially if you do like I say and join and quit.

My BMG experience was less satisfying, but that is because of my own fault. I did not join and quit quickly enough.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I joined BMG about a month ago. Just sent my cancellation on Friday.
First I ordered my 7 free CD's, for a total of about $20 shipped (they charge a LOT for shipping and handling). Then I ordered one CD for about $20 shipped to fulfill my requirement. Then I ordered my 4 free CD's for about $12 in shipping and handling. Total spent was $52, mostly on handling. For 12 CD's, thats not a bad price. They do take quite a while to be delivered so you have to be patience! Overall, my experience has been great...as long as they cancel it!

Oct 27, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 6
i hate them because they have that "bmg logo" thing printed on all of the cds and booklets. just a pet peeve of mine though. i was joining them when i was a kid.. now they don't carry any music that is worth buying, even for a penny (gee, have my tastes changed?
biggrin.gif
).

eh, to each his own. but join and quite quickly if you want to screw them over and get a deal.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Columbia House no longer requires you to reply to their mailings. I have been there for over a year now. The only thing I ever mailed to them is a check for payment of the stuff I order on line. Recently I ordered 3 cd's using the bonus points. They charge a little more than 2 bucks each for shipping and that is all you pay when you use the bonus points. I got 3 cd's for less than 8 bucks.

They don't have much of the music I have been listening to lately, but they have some.

The only trouble I have ever had was a mix up on a large order. It took a while but they finally issued a credit. I am satisfied.

Oct 27, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, guys. Sounds like I might be able to pick up some of the more mainstream stuff I have been looking to get at a pretty good deal. Thanks again for the advice. --B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back