Music CDs for Headphones
Dec 15, 2006 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I saw a thread in head-fi recommending the CD titled "The Binary Universe" (by BT) for blissful headphone listening. I don't have this CD yet but I hope it will be good.

Please suggest some CDs, which contain selected tracks that are well recorded and have good sound and acoustics.

Note: I don't need test CDs that are used for pink noises, burn-in etc. I need music CDs.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 18
Some of my favorite well recorded albums:

Junior Boys: Last Exit + So This is Goodbye
Royksopp: The Understanding
Gwen Stefani: The Sweet Escape
Massive Attack: Collected
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells
The Chemical Brothers: Galvanise
Thievery Corporation: Versions
Ultrasone - Test CD

I have others but these ones stand out to me.

- Dan

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Junior Boys: Last Exit + So This is Goodbye
Royksopp: The Understanding
Gwen Stefani: The Sweet Escape
Massive Attack: Collected
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells
The Chemical Brothers: Galvanise
Thievery Corporation: Versions
Ultrasone - Test CD

I have others but these ones stand out to me.

- Dan

Man that galvanise song is nice on the ears

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 18
Friday Night in San Francisco
John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia

600smile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I saw a thread in head-fi recommending the CD titled "The Binary Universe" (by BT) for blissful headphone listening. I don't have this CD yet but I hope it will be good.

Please suggest some CDs, which contain selected tracks that are well recorded and have good sound and acoustics.

Note: I don't need test CDs that are used for pink noises, burn-in etc. I need music CDs.

I reccomended that CD... it is incredible In-ear.

Also great in-ear... Alpebetical order (just some that coem to mind)

Aphex Twin - Druqks
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
CAN - Tago Mago
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Lemon Jelly - Horizons
Lemon Jelly - '64-'95
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
The Mars Volta - Deloused At The Commatorium
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 1/2/3/Orchestral
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sigur Ros - ( )
Stereolab - Fab Four Suture
Trotoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Tortoise - It's All Around You
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Enjoy!

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Perhaps my favorite CD to listen to on headphones is Opeth - Ghost Reveries. You can hear every fret and detail like that. Good production, but not overproduced. Sounds so organic or something. I also like to listen to Porcupine Tree CDs on headphones. Especially In Absentia.

Wow, I just realized that both those Cds I listed were produced by Steve Wilson... SW Rules.

Oh, Ghost Reveries recently came out in a 5.1 channel recording, so you might want to check that out. Not sure if it's true 5.1 though. I would love to hear it
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 18

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live
Øystein Sevåg - Link
Øystein Sevåg - Close Your Eyes And See
Øystein Sevåg - Global House
Øystein Sevåg - Visual
Øystein Sevåg - Bridge

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 18
I believe that every album by The Microphones was specifically made to be listened to on headphones through a tube amp.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 18
Dec 17, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I just realized that both those Cds I listed were produced by Steve Wilson... SW Rules.

Ghost Reveries wasn't produced by SW. The previous 3 (Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation) were. Ghost Reveries was produced by the band and Jens Bogren. Just to clear that up

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Please suggest some CDs

Your favorite music.

That's the smartass answer. Truthfully, there are very few CDs from the popular music world that sound good. Some CDs, like the Bjork mention earlier, have a very intriguing, adventurous soundstage. But you're not going to get acoustically-proper or dynamic recordings from the pop world.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your favorite music.

That's the smartass answer. Truthfully, there are very few CDs from the popular music world that sound good. Some CDs, like the Bjork mention earlier, have a very intriguing, adventurous soundstage. But you're not going to get acoustically-proper or dynamic recordings from the pop world.

Coming from a classical musician, this statement about pop is very vague and simply not true.

You must recognize the inherent difference between the mediums before you go comparing the production techniques of albums.

EDIT: I see that you are also musician, and a sound engineer so I respect your opinion. However, I still disagree that the two types of production can be directly compared.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that every album by The Microphones was specifically made to be listened to on headphones through a tube amp.

To further expand on this idea, here's a quote taken from his Wikipedia entry:

"[Phil] Elverum is infamous for his manipulation of analog recording devices and unique recording approach. His records have a distinct, natural sound. Most of the Microphones catalogue was recorded on a broken 24 track reel to reel and 2005's 'No Flashlight' was recorded on reel to reel 8 track."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back