Music are helpfull in making good asociations instead of stress
Feb 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gamerphile

500+ Head-Fier
You remember the movie crank where that special nokia tune is used as a main characters ringtone on his cellphone? I have resently noticed how much difference ringtones can do to the respons people are having when a cellphone is ringing. Of course I work with like 50 different handsets on a given day so I geek it a little. Also I'm a audiophile so music matters. So here I am finding a new ring tone - for once I'm taking a serious tur down my music collection lane. Then I'm hearing some jazz and I'm going "Hey what was that?". Not that I didn't know the track - it was the instant asociations of pleasure and a relaxed atmosphere. It was Norah Jones with the classic Don't know why.
Okay. That can't be all bad I'm thinking and its also pretty good sounding on the cellphone speaker - guess its why used at so many presentations - its good in even the worst sound conditions.

The most interesting part is how its starts so smooth that instead of other people turning heads they kinda swim in when that ringtone is playing and everone relaxes.

My conclusion is that the ringtone on your cellphone does matter. It can help both your self and people around you relax and asociate the calls with something good rather than stress full. Interesting right?
popcorn.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 16
Even more relaxing for you and others would be to take the cell phone and throw it to the bottom of the sea.
icon10.gif
Or just turn it off until you happen to get into some sort of real emergency.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even more relaxing for you and others would be to take the cell phone and throw it to the bottom of the sea.
icon10.gif
Or just turn it off until you happen to get into some sort of real emergency.

I get your wibe
L3000.gif

Well here in Denmark it has been the defactor for years for most people to SMS text messages for anything thats not urgent. Heck I even got urgent text messages lately from work that was in "Turn around ASAP, the **** has hit the fan and we need you" level. So when people call me it is urgent the wast majorities of times.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 16
Interesting, being a Psychology major this makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I hadn't thought about it before. However, I was noticing just the other day how much I HATE my ringtone because its also my alarm sound ("time to get up for [insert unpleasant obligation] you lazy _____") I think its time to switch my ring tone.

On another note: Go Danmark! My grandparents are Danish and I've wanted to visit for so long. How is it over there? I hear from my mormor's brothers/sisters that there's some sort of mass invasion by muslims and other foreign nationals (I'm not insulting muslims, those were their words) and that they're trying to change Danish culture and customs. Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, being a Psychology major this makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I hadn't thought about it before. However, I was noticing just the other day how much I HATE my ringtone because its also my alarm sound ("time to get up for [insert unpleasant obligation] you lazy _____") I think its time to switch my ring tone.

On another note: Go Danmark! My grandparents are Danish and I've wanted to visit for so long. How is it over there? I hear from my mormor's brothers/sisters that there's some sort of mass invasion by muslims and other foreign nationals (I'm not insulting muslims, those were their words) and that they're trying to change Danish culture and customs. Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there.

Also yeah I got the Nokia N73 which only has standard ring tones for the alarm.. Every morning I wakeup stressed over that.. Its like my really noisy egg timer - I instantly run up and out to get it to ****** like back when I was the com's man in the defence and an officer was calling in.

Well yeah last year there was periodes so bad that I think nationalist on the ultra right wing was about to activate their sleepers in defence forces to take out some ring leaders! - I'm telling you there was so much gang related shootings I several places in america could not top it at the time.. Unfortunately that was mostly between 2. and 3. generation imigrents groups and we are not use shootings other than say the rare ocational Hell Angels shootout. So it gave quit a negative light in on a large part of the imigrent population dispite its really only the same 300 people doing their own internal criminal activities out bulling the rocker crowd by being more brutal.
Pity really - but most people can see beyound the vail luckly.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

I instantly run up and out to get it to ****** like back when I was the com's man in the defence and an officer was calling in.

Haha, yeah, I'm a Marine so watch alarms or the alarms I used to wake me up for duty or firewatch stress me out, just like they do for you. I think I'm gonna have to find a nice calm way to wake up when its not for a military reasons.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 16
I keep my phone on vibrate most of the time, but when I need to hear it I have it play the big breakdown/chorus from Nightwish's cover of Pink Floyd's High Hopes. Makes me want to... rock out a bit, actually. Sometimes It takes me a few seconds to answer due to the aforementioned rocking.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, yeah, I'm a Marine so watch alarms or the alarms I used to wake me up for duty or firewatch stress me out, just like they do for you. I think I'm gonna have to find a nice calm way to wake up when its not for a military reasons.

Yup I was a in the Royal Guards protecting queen and people with funny bear hat and all.. then after what while I started studieing I had a kinda relapse into some spec'ops/special training unit stuff with our frogmen (training us) and home guard maritime units (the ones needing training) on a part time basis. But then my job in audio kicked off and I decided that I really wanted to have time to use all my stuff again and see my lady. Haveing this sweet job in audio and all that sweet gear at home was simple so much better than being a coporal even with all all the neat spec ops gear, speedboat license (Which I could keep of course - audiophile speedboat anyone?) etc. Also they kept using me for POW training on the wrong side of the MP and spec's hands so I'v heard enough colored noise types in my life
atsmile.gif
Of course that was for me getting the course my self which they of course as such things goes never got around to give me before I left. Also if people think old school is cool they should really start using Mil. spec radios - damm such 40-50 pounds of 80'ties tech. radio will make you man in the long run.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep my phone on vibrate most of the time, but when I need to hear it I have it play the big breakdown/chorus from Nightwish's cover of Pink Floyd's High Hopes. Makes me want to... rock out a bit, actually. Sometimes It takes me a few seconds to answer due to the aforementioned rocking.
biggrin.gif

Nightwish has a High Hopes cover? Is nothing holy?
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 16
No wonder I am always (very few exceptions) relaxed and in good mood!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nightwish has a High Hopes cover? Is nothing holy?
frown.gif

Yes they do, and it's surprisingly quite good. Which is more than I can say about Scissors Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb.
confused.gif

If you can't tell, I collect bizarre Pink Floyd covers.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup I was a in the Royal Guards protecting queen and people with funny bear hat and all.. then after what while I started studieing I had a kinda relapse into some spec'ops/special training unit stuff with our frogmen (training us) and home guard maritime units (the ones needing training) on a part time basis. But then my job in audio kicked off and I decided that I really wanted to have time to use all my stuff again and see my lady. Haveing this sweet job in audio and all that sweet gear at home was simple so much better than being a coporal even with all all the neat spec ops gear, speedboat license (Which I could keep of course - audiophile speedboat anyone?) etc. Also they kept using me for POW training on the wrong side of the MP and spec's hands so I'v heard enough colored noise types in my life
atsmile.gif
Of course that was for me getting the course my self which they of course as such things goes never got around to give me before I left. Also if people think old school is cool they should really start using Mil. spec radios - damm such 40-50 pounds of 80'ties tech. radio will make you man in the long run.

Sounds like you've had some fun times as well. I'd hoped to run into some Danes in Iraq but no dice. I think I recall a Norwegian flag once or twice while gunning for our convoys. Gotta love any licensing/certification the military will give you. Too bad I never got speedboat training haha. Oh, and old radios, yeah, gotta love em. PRC-119's in a backpack are finally being replaced with some smaller tech... but the range is reduced so its mission dependent. However, it's probably lighter than carrying a SAW with a 200round drum on the weapon, and 400-600rounds strapped around your flak and in your pack. That was my pleasure for most of a year.
ph34r.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they do, and it's surprisingly quite good. Which is more than I can say about Scissors Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb.
confused.gif

If you can't tell, I collect bizarre Pink Floyd covers.
biggrin.gif

I guess I will check it out.
redface.gif

EDIT: Yep it blows.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I will check it out.
redface.gif

EDIT: Yep it blows.

tongue.gif
Different strokes and all that. At least you checked it out instead of bashing it sound unheard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back