Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #121 of 1,173
Just curious to know how many of you folks out there are using Android 8 (Oreo)?

I'm not having any luck with my tests. On Oreo, with both Neutron and the latest official UAPP update, my 44/16 files are again being re-sampled to 48 kHz, and all the nasty re-sampling artifacts are back :frowning2:
That's truly devastating news, considering we've only transitioned from alpha to full release a week ago. I hope it's a quick and easy fix. Are 44/24 files also affected?

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #123 of 1,173
Just curious to know how many of you folks out there are using Android 8 (Oreo)?

I'm not having any luck with my tests. On Oreo, with both Neutron and the latest official UAPP update, my 44/16 files are again being re-sampled to 48 kHz, and all the nasty re-sampling artifacts are back :frowning2:
Do you mean the new UAPP update can't acess directly the DAC bypassing Android? Is that what you mean? Thanks.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #124 of 1,173
Do you mean the new UAPP update can't acess directly the DAC bypassing Android? Is that what you mean? Thanks.
It's a bit confusing, but all of these apps (including UAPP running under Android Oreo) are accessing the ESS DAC. The problem is the DAC hardware can't natively process 44/16 files. I don't know why it was designed this way, but I guess it was a cost-saving exercise to have one pipeline that could handle multiples of common hi-res sample rates, e.g., 48, 96, 192, 384 kHz, and tnen one other 24-bit pipelne was needed for MQA, so 44/24 is supported, but not 44/16.

So now, when you play any 44/16 files (FLAC, mp3, AAC, ALAC, etc.) you have two options - up-sample to a supported mode (48/16), or bit-pad.to 44/24. The former causes nasty artifacts in the sound; the latter is totally harmless. So Neutron and UAPP were actually sending your 44/16 files to the DAC chipset as 44/24 streams.

Neutron just needs a few extra toggles set (see updated first post in this thread). I have not yet found a work-around for UAPP under Oreo - your music will still play through the quad DAC, but you'll get the same re-sampling quirks you get from the native LG music app.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #125 of 1,173
It's a bit confusing, but all of these apps (including UAPP running under Android Oreo) are accessing the ESS DAC. The problem is the DAC hardware can't natively process 44/16 files. I don't know why it was designed this way, but I guess it was a cost-saving exercise to have one pipeline that could handle multiples of common hi-res sample rates, e.g., 48, 96, 192, 384 kHz, and tnen one other 24-bit pipelne was needed for MQA, so 44/24 is supported, but not 44/16.

So now, when you play any 44/16 files (FLAC, mp3, AAC, ALAC, etc.) you have two options - up-sample to a supported mode (48/16), or bit-pad.to 44/24. The former causes nasty artifacts in the sound; the latter is totally harmless. So Neutron and UAPP were actually sending your 44/16 files to the DAC chipset as 44/24 streams.

Neutron just needs a few extra toggles set (see updated first post in this thread). I have not yet found a work-around for UAPP under Oreo - your music will still play through the quad DAC, but you'll get the same re-sampling quirks you get from the native LG music app.
Thanks for your reply. Did you try to say that to the UAPP developers?

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #128 of 1,173
So UAPP has been fixed for Oreo :) Kudos to the responsive dev at eXtream! Look out for an update in the PlayStore soon...

Not quite there yet with Neutron. I described a work-around on the first post which still sounds good (it is avoiding the Android mixer), but it's actually still re-sampling - just with better interpolation accuracy, as it's using 24 bit integer. Hopefully more good news on Neutron soon...

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #130 of 1,173
Just stumbled upon this thread. I've been strongly considering the v30 due to frustration with Android based daps. I have not been able to test it first hand but Tidal reportedly added mqa support for the v30 a couple weeks back. Anyone know if this is true?

Yes...the quick and short answer.
MQA files via Tidal can be streamed directly by the LG V30.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #131 of 1,173
Does this mean no more updates to fix upsampling issues once they're all fixed? ...assuming the v30 won't jump into a new version on Android anytime soon. I'm on the fence for a v30 but with all those caveats I don't know if my music will be better off just with a DAP

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #132 of 1,173
Just stumbled upon this thread. I've been strongly considering the v30 due to frustration with Android based daps. I have not been able to test it first hand but Tidal reportedly added mqa support for the v30 a couple weeks back. Anyone know if this is true?

Yes is it true. But one heads-up for you... Even though MQA files play back perfectly via the Tidal app, most of the music you're going to play on the V30 (local storage or via Tidal) is still going to be in 44 kHz, 16-bit format - and via most apps (including Tidal and LG's own music app) cause these to get re-sampled to 48 kHz, which can cause nasty artifacts, particularly if you're using sensitive IEMs. That problem is what motivated this thread.

The V30 is still a worthy purchase, IMHO. Its interface is better than any DAP I know, and it isn't riddled with bugs the way many Android-based DAPs are.
Also, and importantly - you can use third-party apps like UAPP, that allows you to playback basically every format natively through the quad DAC (including 44 kHz files without re-sampling, hi-res PCM, DSD) from local storage, Tidal, Google Play, etc., all from within one app.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #133 of 1,173
Does this mean no more updates to fix upsampling issues once they're all fixed? ...assuming the v30 won't jump into a new version on Android anytime soon. I'm on the fence for a v30 but with all those caveats I don't know if my music will be better off just with a DAP
Oreo has caused problems. It may take another week or two to straighten that out, but yes, Oreo is going to necessitate more updates to fix re-sampling issues.
Just set your V30 to accept automatic (app) updates and it'll happen while you're asleep :)

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #134 of 1,173
Yes is it true. But one heads-up for you... Even though MQA files play back perfectly via the Tidal app, most of the music you're going to play on the V30 (local storage or via Tidal) is still going to be in 44 kHz, 16-bit format - and via most apps (including Tidal and LG's own music app) cause these to get re-sampled to 48 kHz, which can cause nasty artifacts, particularly if you're using sensitive IEMs. That problem is what motivated this thread.

The V30 is still a worthy purchase, IMHO. Its interface is better than any DAP I know, and it isn't riddled with bugs the way many Android-based DAPs are.
Also, and importantly - you can use third-party apps like UAPP, that allows you to playback basically every format natively through the quad DAC (including 44 kHz files without re-sampling, hi-res PCM, DSD) from local storage, Tidal, Google Play, etc., all from within one app.
I see. Still, if I can run Tidal via neutron and use mqa, a definite upgrade in terms of an all in one solution. I'm rarely home so been looking for a better portable solution. I currently have a note 8 that I'm happy with, but even buying the v30 unlocked seems like a better option than most android daps out there.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #135 of 1,173
I see. Still, if I can run Tidal via neutron and use mqa, a definite upgrade in terms of an all in one solution. I'm rarely home so been looking for a better portable solution. I currently have a note 8 that I'm happy with, but even buying the v30 unlocked seems like a better option than most android daps out there.
An unlocked V30 would be a great choice! :beerchug:

P.S. Neutron doesn't support Tidal streaming, but UAPP does (unfortunately not in offline mode though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back