Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #946 of 1,181
I was able to check pretty easily, on the current version toggling the DAC off and on, even after a reboot, there was no pause or difference in sound.

With 1.31, there is a quick/short pause when I toggle the DAC off and on, so I think it’s doing something - hopefully unfolding properly.

With some luck, Tidal will just issue a proper fix soon enough making this moot.

Now I’m downloading my 4,400 songs to my SD card one more time, every time I downgrade I need to do so. It’s not that bad - 3-4 hours.

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #947 of 1,181
I was able to check pretty easily, on the current version toggling the DAC off and on, even after a reboot, there was no pause or difference in sound.

With 1.31, there is a quick/short pause when I toggle the DAC off and on, so I think it’s doing something - hopefully unfolding properly.

With some luck, Tidal will just issue a proper fix soon enough making this moot.

Now I’m downloading my 4,400 songs to my SD card one more time, every time I downgrade I need to do so. It’s not that bad - 3-4 hours.
All I can say is that hearing a little lag when you toggle the DAC has no bearing on whether it unfolds MQA or not. And I am pretty sure 2.31.0 plays through the Mixer. You would STILL hear that lag regardless, because the DAC is still activated. Those two are not connected.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #948 of 1,181
All I can say is that hearing a little lag when you toggle the DAC has no bearing on whether it unfolds MQA or not. And I am pretty sure 2.31.0 plays through the Mixer. You would STILL hear that lag regardless, because the DAC is still activated. Those two are not connected.

I’m not doubting you, I haven’t done the tests. It’s just strange that doesn’t happen on the latest version - maybe it’s a sign tidal is actually working on the issue and disabled it on the app.

I’ll just use USBAPP for now.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #949 of 1,181
Brief question. Would I get more enjoyment and value by purchasing LG V30 Silver for Verizon 64gb - LTE - 6in QHD Plus FullVision Display, LTE, GSM (Renewed) for playing my downloaded ALAC files and streaming Amazon Music HD or an android based DAP near the $300.00 price point? Thanks for assistance and I apologize if this topic has been covered or not appropriate for this thread which I have not read in its entirerty.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #950 of 1,181
Brief question. Would I get more enjoyment and value by purchasing LG V30 Silver for Verizon 64gb - LTE - 6in QHD Plus FullVision Display, LTE, GSM (Renewed) for playing my downloaded ALAC files and streaming Amazon Music HD or an android based DAP near the $300.00 price point? Thanks for assistance and I apologize if this topic has been covered or not appropriate for this thread which I have not read in its entirerty.

I think you would have to be a bit more specific about which Android based player you were looking at. However in general, I think you would be hard pushed to find a better sounding Android device at the sort of price you can pick up an LG V30, with the sort of connectivity flexibility the V30 (and the like) offer. With UAPP, my V30+ can access my JRiver DNLA server, stream music off my Samba shares, play music stored locally and connect to various streaming services (which I don't personally use) - all with the quality of sound of UAPP. Tweak the device a little, and you have great battery life. Its a real wolf in sheep's clothing TBH.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #952 of 1,181
Here’s a couple that wouldn’t play in 2.21 but do play in 2.31. I do wonder if 2.31 is playing MQA properly given I can toggle the DAC and hear a difference in that version but cannot in the current version.

Anyways, here they are.

https://tidal.com/album/77648209
https://tidal.com/album/145434532

I tested these, and on my phone, the first one (Rush 2112) plays in BOTH Tidal 2.21.0 and in the latest 2.35.0. Version 2.21.0 plays correctly (Direct mode, offloadable, with the MQA flag). Version 2.35.0 plays through the Mixer as 16/48 (resampled, resolution lost, all MQA gone).

The second link (Ride The Lightning) didn't work on my phone, but I was able to open it in a browser on my PC. Searching for the title in the Tidal app, I was able to play it in both 2.21.0 and 2.35.0. I didn't inspect audio_flinger for it, but I am sure the result is the same as above (2.21.0 plays correctly, 2.35.0 through the Mixer). The link I got for that album was different from yours (see below). So presumably it's two different listings.

https://tidal.com/album/166790246

I didn't test 2.31.0, but I would be very surprised if it offers any improvements. And so far I am still not seeing any reason to use a version later than 2.21.0.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #953 of 1,181
Thanks for testing. They all play for me in 2.31 but as you say no MQA.

I’ve kept 2.31 on my phone for now. At least I can download and have some offline music. It does sound ok, so maybe it’s still hifi, who knows. The majority of the time I’m listening online so I’ll just use usb app, and I have a back up for the odd time I’m remote. With this damn lockdown my use out of the house is pretty much nil now and hopefully tidal addresses in the next update. They should prioritize- it seems the partnership with LG was an important one.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #955 of 1,181
Love how this thread is still alive after so many years. I am due to replace my V30 LG and looking to get a Samsung s21 or something of the latest nature. I would love to know all your thoughts where I can get a phone with a good DAC. The use case is for car audio and goes like this:

TIDAL > 'Phone' TBC (Currently V30) > USB C > Alpine ILX 702 > Alpine amp > Infinity speakers

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #956 of 1,181
Love how this thread is still alive after so many years. I am due to replace my V30 LG and looking to get a Samsung s21 or something of the latest nature. I would love to know all your thoughts where I can get a phone with a good DAC. The use case is for car audio and goes like this:

TIDAL > 'Phone' TBC (Currently V30) > USB C > Alpine ILX 702 > Alpine amp > Infinity speakers
If you're playing through USB anyway, then the phone's DAC won't matter. Any modern phone should do, as long as it works with UAPP.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #960 of 1,181
I can confirm what you concluded as I just received the following answer from Tidal support:

"I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the bitrate through an LG phone! I understand how frustrating that must be.

Our Tech Team has looked into this issue and identified the problem with the DAC's within these phones and the TIDAL app.

Due to recent updates with the LG software it has caused issues with the internal DAC activating on TIDAL tracks.

Our team is aware of this and is working on a resolution and TIDAL update to help resolve the issues."
Have you heard from your Tidal contact if they have addressed the issue of resampling on LG phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back