Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Apr 28, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #1,126 of 1,174
Hi all,
Long time LG VXX owner; a V10 sitting dormant on my desk, a V30 (A9) wired into an old Denon AVR-2805 (no HDMI capabilities), and my V60 (A12) daily phone. Really appreciate all the knowledgeable talk here.

2 questions (wrt the V30):
- This is wired from the headphone jack to a VCR input on the receiver. Is this the best connection I can make? I did try the phono input but it sounded like it needed attenuation. Very crunchy. Should mention there is a MIC input on the receiver but I only use that for Denon's room analyzer.

- UAPP is my preferred app, although I've also fooled around with Neutron and PowerAMP. Do I understand correctly that multichannel music will not pass through the 1/8" jack. It always shows up as "Analog" on the receiver, so I think I know the answer there. AFAIK, multichannel can only be sent through HDMI (or is it any digital connect, ie Optical?). I have pretty good hearing for detail (strong musical training background) and I know I hear the benefits of 24bit recording (given a good acoustic source) but I don't know what setting I should be using on the Denon regarding Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo - 6, Pro Logic IIx, and Widescreen 7.1 processing. Kind of a convoluted question, but any feedback would be appreciated.
Here's a succinct reply tonight: I'm assuming you're running a patch with 3.5mm on one end and dual RCA (L & R) at the other end - I think this is your most logical & best bet for connection to the Denon for music. It will convey ONLY stereo, although the V60 has some mish-mash audio settings native to the phone that will elicit an effect, but not true multi-channel. Phono is a bust, as it is a total level mismatch and skews the audio band according to RIAA curves to amplify vinyl: will sound like junk. Any of the CDR/Tape or unoccupied RCA pairs in the center "Audio" input column on the 2805 will do just fine. Since you're using the analog 3.5mm output, the Denon won't know anything about 24-96-192 renditions - it'll all just be good stuff already DAC'd through the 3.5mm. UAPP is great - just enjoy the V30 or V60 Quad DAC sound !! I have UAPP and Neutron (prefer Neutron) on all my V's - you won't go wrong ! I'm not familiar with the Denon, but once it get ahold of the analog signal through any of the RCA's mentioned above, I'd feel adventuresome in crafting the sound you like best with any Denon settings you punch up. JUST MAKE CERTAIN THE VOLUME SETTING ON YOUR V-PHONE IS AT MAX, in case it doesn't automatically run up to max when after you're connected and the phone's been turned on - you will otherwise be missing out on all the bits the V's are capable of converting to analog.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #1,127 of 1,174
Here's a succinct reply tonight: ...

Thanks for that. Pretty much confirms what I thought was going on. Also makes me ask myself, "Well what do you think Digital Analog Converter means?"
Duh

But the Denon remains the most mysterious component. I got it gently used in 2005 on eBay and printed out it's 100+ page manual, and I'm still trying to get my head around a lot of it and how these various coding/decoding algorithms affect sound that's not already encoded.
Thanks again.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,128 of 1,174
This is wired from the headphone jack to a VCR input on the receiver. Is this the best connection I can make? I did try the phono input but it sounded like it needed attenuation.

Never connect a line level input to the phono connector! "Needing attenuation" was likely more like need earplugs for how loudly distorted it would have been. That input has an amplification circuit to create full sound out of a tiny turntable voltage. Any other input will work (in case of that Denon vintage you'll find VCR and other outdated devices)--but they are all "line level" -just like the LG output.

You cannot get other than 2ch sound out of the LG phones... but in the case of an service like Qobuz you can get 24-bit 192khz high res 2-channel sound! Simply run UAPP (Tidal/Qobuz) or Neutron and hook in the headphone out (3.5 to rca cable) into a line level Denon input.

I actually go a little bit more high-tech and use the terrific free MConnect app (again has Tidal/Qobuz links) to wirelessly hook into my networked Oppo 205 DLNA player. That sends full high-res-audio over my network directly into my system...and it sounds fantastic.

Here's what I would suggest: after you wire from the headphone jack, as simple as on your Denon, try these two options in MUSIC mode: DTS Neo6 & Pro Logic IIx. You'll get a rather convincing multi-channel response I think you'll enjoy.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,129 of 1,174
This is wired from the headphone jack to a VCR input on the receiver. Is this the best connection I can make? I did try the phono input but it sounded like it needed attenuation.

Never connect a line level input to the phono connector! "Needing attenuation" was likely more like need earplugs for how loudly distorted it would have been. That input has an amplification circuit to create full sound out of a tiny turntable voltage. Any other input will work (in case of that Denon vintage you'll find VCR and other outdated devices)--but they are all "line level" -just like the LG output.
Yup, that was a momentary test, and no more.
You cannot get other than 2ch sound out of the LG phones... but in the case of an service like Qobuz you can get 24-bit 192khz high res 2-channel sound! Simply run UAPP (Tidal/Qobuz) or Neutron and hook in the headphone out (3.5 to rca cable) into a line level Denon input.
I didn't mention my NAS with just over a terabyte of mostly 24bit+ music. I've looked at Qobuz, but have been a RadioParadise supporter for over ten years and love their programming. Currently not better than flac, CD quality but they've been talking about high res content and I think they will at some point.
Here's what I would suggest: after you wire from the headphone jack, as simple as on your Denon, try these two options in MUSIC mode: DTS Neo6 & Pro Logic IIx. You'll get a rather convincing multi-channel response I think you'll enjoy.
Yes. It's inconsistent in how it handles different sources but those (and Denon's basic "5 channel" mode) are what I'm bouncing around in for now.
Thanks!

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,130 of 1,174
Keep in mind that "five channel" (also called "party mode") simply plays the same signal out of all channels, while the Dolby & DTS modes use some kind of logic algorithm to give you more typical 5.1 surround sound effect.

The Oppo 205 is a 2K blu-ray player...and it chose DTS Neo-6 as it's expansion curcuit...so consider that :)

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #1,131 of 1,174
I have a problem on my rooted V50. Tidal won't play some albums in it's highest-rez mode. Those who are rooted, would you be aware of any build.prop settings that might have caused this. When I press play just nothing happens. I can get the tracks to play by lowing the stream quality in the tida app settings. I'm not sure if this was always the case but I doubt it. I've diabled all magisk modules to bring the phone back to stock-ish state. Other than resetting my phone which I don't want to do I've no clue how to fix this.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,132 of 1,174
I have a problem on my rooted V50. Tidal won't play some albums in it's highest-rez mode. Those who are rooted, would you be aware of any build.prop settings that might have caused this. When I press play just nothing happens. I can get the tracks to play by lowing the stream quality in the tida app settings. I'm not sure if this was always the case but I doubt it. I've diabled all magisk modules to bring the phone back to stock-ish state. Other than resetting my phone which I don't want to do I've no clue how to fix this.
Just a stab, but is your V50 at Android 9?

I don't know much about rooting but many DAPs and smartphones that are Android 9 and below (with rare exceptions) have been reported as not able to, so far, play FLAC, like 24/96 straight FLAC, in the new Tidal app 2.87+. Your description fits perfectly. Do MQA tracks play?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,133 of 1,174
I am trying to use a Garmin Venu 2 Plus watch with my LG V35 and I can't use the ECG app. It works only in the US and my GPS location in Houston does not seem to be recognized with the function. Might be obsolete. It works with a new phone used to test.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,134 of 1,174
Just to clear up the Android scare first posted in response to your query: my Nougat & Oreo LG's both play 24/192 FLAC just fine. I'd make certain the music player you're using doesn't have some limitations under your latest root.

Aug 30, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #1,135 of 1,174
My rooted V30 plays MAX quality just fine, but I'm playing to Tidal connect device.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,136 of 1,174
My rooted V30 plays MAX quality just fine, but I'm playing to Tidal connect device.

Just a stab, but is your V50 at Android 9?

I don't know much about rooting but many DAPs and smartphones that are Android 9 and below (with rare exceptions) have been reported as not able to, so far, play FLAC, like 24/96 straight FLAC, in the new Tidal app 2.87+. Your description fits perfectly. Do MQA tracks play?

Thanks guys, I should have said specifically the V50, I use my rooted V20 as my main portable audio device and I know already there is no problem with that phone. FYI mine in the Korean on A12.

I found this on Reddit, same issue, no solution though. https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/oeh7id/cant_play_masters_on_lg_v50/ (says it's a know issue with the V50).

I've restored all the system partitions just n case I messed something up but didn't make any difference.

I know I can use other apps with tidal account but I like to download albums in max quality and you can only play them back in Tidal app.

edit: as an aside, there is no way to tell in Tidal's latest update whether "Max" titles are FLAC or MQA!
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-hi-res-lossless-flac-max-annoying/

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,137 of 1,174
Hi all,

I've been striving to optimize the audio output on my LG V30 Stock Pie 30D.

First, I wanted to determine whether the audio goes through the Android mixer or directly.

Here's what I discovered:

1. Enabling DTS:X or Normalize Volume on the Quad DAC panel results in audio resampling to 16-bit 48000kHz with the Android mixer.
2. Digital Filters and Sound Presets did not.

I used Neutron Music Player and PowerAMP to test various sampling rates with this device, particularly with PowerAMP.

1. 32-bit never worked.
2. The highest achievable rate was 24-bit / 352kHz, confirmed on both Neutron and PowerAMP (No DVC).

I initially believed that the device could handle up to 32-bit / 384kHz, but unfortunately, it cannot.
I attempted Legacy Audio Configuration and other mods from the forum, but no luck.
The highest sampling rate I could achieve was 24-bit / 384kHz with the mods, but no sound was produced.

Any suggestions? Or is the audio setup better on LineageOS 20?

Thank you all!

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,138 of 1,174
Hi all,

First, I wanted to determine whether the audio goes through the Android mixer or directly.

1. Enabling DTS:X or Normalize Volume on the Quad DAC panel results in audio resampling to 16-bit 48000kHz with the Android mixer.

I used Neutron Music Player and PowerAMP to test various sampling rates with this device, particularly with PowerAMP.

1. 32-bit never worked.
2. The highest achievable rate was 24-bit / 352kHz, confirmed on both Neutron and PowerAMP (No DVC).

I initially believed that the device could handle up to 32-bit / 384kHz, but unfortunately, it cannot.
I attempted Legacy Audio Configuration and other mods from the forum, but no luck.
The highest sampling rate I could achieve was 24-bit / 384kHz with the mods, but no sound was produced.

Thank you all!
How are you reporting bitrate ? Are you analyzing, or reading, values from an app or from merely knowing the resolution of source material in your music library that you've selected on your player ? I'm in love with my LG's, but I have known from the start that much source will be re-sampled to 16/48 somewhere in the circuitry prior to sending out the headphone jack. I settled on Neutron long ago, but admit not knowing how long Hi-Rez lasts before passing through the V30 amp. I guess I only know that I can depend on a great audio rendition from my 24/192 files. I "think" most Android Authority digital manipulation is preserved through Pie (my 2 V30's are sitting on Nougat forever).

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,139 of 1,174
How are you reporting bitrate ? Are you analyzing, or reading, values from an app or from merely knowing the resolution of source material in your music library that you've selected on your player ? I'm in love with my LG's, but I have known from the start that much source will be re-sampled to 16/48 somewhere in the circuitry prior to sending out the headphone jack. I settled on Neutron long ago, but admit not knowing how long Hi-Rez lasts before passing through the V30 amp. I guess I only know that I can depend on a great audio rendition from my 24/192 files. I "think" most Android Authority digital manipulation is preserved through Pie (my 2 V30's are sitting on Nougat forever).

@Dannemand posted here how to do it:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...-v35-v40-v50-v60.868978/page-67#post-16234750

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,140 of 1,174
Hi all,

1. 32-bit never worked.

Thank you all!
Can you hear the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back