Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #676 of 1,174
Please check if you are turning off HIFI DAC mode.
HiFi Quad DAC is definitely on :)

I check the logcat and when playing 16/44,1 fiile with UAPP( 24 bits file format in DIRECT flag) logcat show that UAPP is playing in compress offload mode and show sample rate at 44100. For another formats it shows correctly also.
I too can get 44.1 kHz played correctly with 24-bit packing. However, I cannot consistently get hi-res PCM to play back like that. Are you able to consistently get the track I listed above playing back at the correct (96 kHz) sample rate?

P.S. Try hopping back and forth between the LG app and UAPP. I think you'll see the problem.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #677 of 1,174
HiFi Quad DAC is definitely on :)

I too can get 44.1 kHz played correctly with 24-bit packing. However, I cannot consistently get hi-res PCM to play back like that. Are you able to consistently get the track I listed above playing back at the correct (96 kHz) sample rate?

P.S. Try hopping back and forth between the LG app and UAPP. I think you'll see the problem.

Oh, yes..

Sorry, I am setting file format at 32 bits and it will fix your problem.

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #678 of 1,174
Sorry, I am setting file format at 32 bits and it will fix your problem.

Great suggestion @ctheanh! :) That's actually working for me! So far... (32 bit integer packing). I'll need to test some more to see if that behavior is consistent. I've been experiencing this problem intermittently. Which is the worst kind of problem, because you could go away and think it's fixed and then a bit later it isn't. And unless you're listening carefully on sensitive headphones, you might not even realize there's a problem.

I still cannot get the LG music app to play that 96 kHz file properly.

The one bit of good news here is that Poweramp appears to be always able to grab exclusive use of the HiFi DAC; it is always playing back correctly for me, so there's hope UAPP can be fixed (the UAPP dev is aware of all this and is working on it).

P.S. I also logged a support ticket with LG, but I suspect we'll all die of old age waiting for LG to fix anything.

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #680 of 1,174
Been following this with keen interest. Thank you, both.

Going back and forth between UAPP and LG Music always caused unpredictable behavior, in my experience. Maybe do a reboot between them to get consistency.

@csglinux: I assume you're testing Pie on your V40, right?

@ctheanh: I gather from your posts that V10 had problems keeping HiFi mode (Quad DAC) active for apps other than LG Music. (Hence that DAC Fix app you linked, which I tested, and it has no effect on my V30). I've never seen that as a problem on V30: Once HiFi mode is enabled, the Quad DAC really is active, regardless of which app you're using. It may be re-sampling, but the DAC is active and being used, which is clearly audible.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #681 of 1,174
Profuse apologies to Neutron! After uninstalling, clearing the old NeutronMP directory, installing and rebooting, Neutron is working for me on Pie.
It's playing back everything at the correct sample rate for me. Even DSD is working.

@Dannemand speaks wise words of wisdom here:

Going back and forth between UAPP and LG Music always caused unpredictable behavior, in my experience. Maybe do a reboot between them to get consistency.
It definitely helps to clear all background apps and do a re-boot prior to switching to a different audio app. But curiously, Poweramp doesn't seem to need any such shenanigans. (BTW, yes, all my Pie testing so far is on the V40.)

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #682 of 1,174
love my V30 so much ! especially when I plug in a pair of DT770/80s :)
the resampling distortition aritfacts are definately audible when using sensitive IEMs tho ...
bought a pair of fiio FH1s recently and this phone does not do them justice if you don't follow the cslinux guide first !
TIDAL offline playback through UAPP would be a very welcome addition for a lot of us ! I keep switching between between apps all the time lol, TIDAL app (offline mode) for my bluetooth car stereo / UAPP for downloaded music + tidal streaming when using headphones AND there is a wifi hotspot nearby - ~ 9mbps downstream is good enough according to my findings.

edit : after reading all those MQA related articles in the first page, I now plan switching back to google play music after my tidal subcription ends.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #683 of 1,174
love my V30 so much ! especially when I plug in a pair of DT770/80s :)
the resampling distortition aritfacts are definately audible when using sensitive IEMs tho ...
bought a pair of fiio FH1s recently and this phone does not do them justice if you don't follow the cslinux guide first !
TIDAL offline playback through UAPP would be a very welcome addition for a lot of us ! I keep switching between between apps all the time lol, TIDAL app (offline mode) for my bluetooth car stereo / UAPP for downloaded music + tidal streaming when using headphones AND there is a wifi hotspot nearby - ~ 9mbps downstream is good enough according to my findings.

edit : after reading all those MQA related articles in the first page, I now plan switching back to google play music after my tidal subcription ends.

Regardless of whether one is a MQA fan or not, I doubt that anybody would seriously claim that Google Play Music's 320kbps compression is superior. Or even comparable.

And even if one believes that MQA has no quality advantage over uncompressed, it does have the benefit of playing flawlessly from the Tidal app on V30 (including in Offline mode) with no upsampling or other molestation.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #684 of 1,174
Regardless of whether one is a MQA fan or not, I doubt that anybody would seriously claim that Google Play Music's 320kbps compression is superior. Or even comparable.

And even if one believes that MQA has no quality advantage over uncompressed, it does have the benefit of playing flawlessly from the Tidal app on V30 (including in Offline mode) with no upsampling or other molestation.
Haven’t been following this for a while, but I thought the big advantage of UAPP over the Tidal native app was that at least for online play UAPP was playing the stream without any upsampling, while Tidal was mucking around with the stream... did I misunderstand or has something changed?

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #685 of 1,174
Haven’t been following this for a while, but I thought the big advantage of UAPP over the Tidal native app was that at least for online play UAPP was playing the stream without any upsampling, while Tidal was mucking around with the stream... did I misunderstand or has something changed?
You've understood correctly. And if you're still using Android 8 (or earlier) then all is well. Unfortunately, under Android 9, UAPP has several issues right now.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #686 of 1,174
You've understood correctly. And if you're still using Android 8 (or earlier) then all is well. Unfortunately, under Android 9, UAPP has several issues right now.
Thanks, yeah, I’ve been monitoring the Android 9 saga (hey, maybe a good name for a Sci-Fi show...)... won’t upgrade until I see an all clear from this thread...

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #687 of 1,174

Actually no. The Tidal App does NOT upsample or otherwise murk up when playing MQA, only when playing 16/44. MQA played in Tidal app is exactly the same as when played in UAPP.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #689 of 1,174
Sorry, my bad. I assumed @jsmiller58 was taking about 44/16. @Dannemand is correct about MQA playing back correctly in the Tidal app. The problem is, the proportion of Tidal's catalogue that supports MQA is only currently about 0.06%.
Actually I intentionally did not specify the sampling rate/bit depth... bottom line is that if I am streaming it is safest to use UAPP as it won’t do any upsampling under any circumstances (while staying on Android 8). If I am off-line I have no choice and it will be what it will be (according to my eldest son that is our unofficial family motto)...

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #690 of 1,174
Actually I intentionally did not specify the sampling rate/bit depth... bottom line is that if I am streaming it is safest to use UAPP as it won’t do any upsampling under any circumstances (while staying on Android 8). If I am off-line I have no choice and it will be what it will be (according to my eldest son that is our unofficial family motto)...

I understand. And you are entirely right about the fact that streaming Tidal from UAPP is the safest way (as long as you remain on Oreo) since anything you play will be bit-perfect and unmolested.

The post of mine which started this debate (here) was specifically about Tidal and MQA. That's why I felt compelled to point out that those do, in fact, play correctly in the Tidal app.

For my part, I only have Master (MQA) albums downloaded in Tidal. So when I use Offline mode, that's what I choose from -- and I know they will all play correctly.

Among Tidal's classical catalog, there really are some excellent Master/MQA albums. To mention a few:

1) The entire catalog of newly transferred Everest Records' recordings. This label distinguished themselves by making very high quality 3-channel recordings on 35mm film tape back in late 1950s-1960s. For example, check Copland: Symphony No. 3 (the composer himself directing London Symphony Orchestra). But there are many, many others, both popular and more complex works. Search in Tidal for "Everest Records Master Tapes" and Show All Albums. They are $40 a pop on HDtracks.

2) Brahms: The Symphonies (Berlin Philharmonic, Simon Rattle). I know some people dislike Rattle for his earlier Mahler cycle, or even his personality. But to me these are the all-time best Brahms performances. Better than the BPO/Abbado cycle, which was my favorite before the Rattle cycle. For example, check the Andante movement from Symphony no. 3. I challenge anybody to show me any music, of any genre, more beautiful than this performance. I am serious, that was a challenge.

3) Bruckner: The Complete Symphonies (Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim). When it comes to Wagner, I am out. But I do appreciate Bruckner's symphonies, and these are great performances and recordings.

4) Dvorák: Complete Symphonies & Concertos (Czech Philharmonic, Jiri Belohlavek). Excellent performances and recordings of these romantic era favorites: These musicians have Dvorák in their blood. (Growing up with Josef Suk's definitive 1976 performance of Dvorák's violin concerto, I have a hard time enjoying other performances of it. Frank Peter Zimmermann does a fine job on this MQA set; and sound quality is infinitely better than the old Supraphon recording, even with its latest 2011 re-release.)

5) Mozart Violin Concertos (Trondheimsolistene, Marianne Thorsen). If you like Mozart, you will be hard pressed to find recordings with higher sound quality than these.

6) The Nordic Sound (2L Audiophile Reference Recordings). Many of these can be downloaded on http://www.2l.no/hires in a number of different resolutions.

Of course there any many others, but these come to mind as particularly excellent.

In short, I easily have hundreds of hours of top quality MQA music to choose from when playing offline Tidal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back