Music and Gaming headphones under $250
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phillipj06

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for picking up a new pair of headphones to listen to music and play games on my computer.  My price range is under $250.  I was thinking about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, but am still looking around.  Would these be a good choice, or are there much better options?

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Can you use open headphones? Or do you need the isolation of closed headphones?

Also, what will you plug your headphones into on your computer? Do you have a soundcard?

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I prefer closed headphones for their isolation.  My computer is in the same room as the television my wife watches tv on.  My current sound card just died, so i will be plugging them straight into the motherboard audio until i get a new sound card.  

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Wow.  Talk about things changing fast.  A friend heard my sound card had died, so he gave me his old one.  So I will be using a sound card.  The sound card I now have is a X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Not sure what kind of headphone amp that card has in it, but it should have the advantage of providing surround sound for gaming, if I'm not mistaken. If it has a headphone amp, that sort of opens up more possibilities. For example, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 might be one to consider.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 8
I think I am going to get the DT770 Pro.  Is there a big difference between the 80 Ohm and the 250 Ohm?  I am going to get a the Soundblaster Z that has an amp for my Desktop.  

What would be a decent amp for these when I am using my MacBook Pro I use when I am at work?  Something under $50 preferably.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, the Fiio E11 is considered to be pretty good, but you can't use it while it's recharging. I'm not certain about what the best are below that in price because I haven't tried them. The E11 did well in this sub $100 portable amp shootout (rankings after the reviews).

The DT770 80 ohm might sound OK without an amp on your mac or even on a portable device. The 250 ohm would have to have an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back