Music analyzer software
Jan 23, 2023 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mrbillz

New Head-Fier
Greetings all! New member and please forgive if this is common or wrong group but-

With all of the wonders that are available with electronics, I know there HAS to be software that can listen to my favorite music, analyze why I like some music but not other- new age not metal, etc..

I has to be fundamental it seems: we are drawn to certain patterns, tones, chords, instruments... Why?? What is common? What is common in what I don't like?

If I know what kind of music I'm looking for, I can explore more places! Why did this not exist? Or, why don't I know about it, and would your please enlighten me??🤗

Thank to all /any suggestions!

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Greetings all! New member and please forgive if this is common or wrong group but-

With all of the wonders that are available with electronics, I know there HAS to be software that can listen to my favorite music, analyze why I like some music but not other- new age not metal, etc..

I has to be fundamental it seems: we are drawn to certain patterns, tones, chords, instruments... Why?? What is common? What is common in what I don't like?

If I know what kind of music I'm looking for, I can explore more places! Why did this not exist? Or, why don't I know about it, and would your please enlighten me??🤗

Thank to all /any suggestions!
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I recall Pandora being really good for this. I think the secret was (is?) hitting the dislike button and leaving the like button alone. Maybe there was more to it, I can't remember. I haven't used Pandora in ages.

I remember them having descriptions of the music that were attributes like production value, tempo, instrumentation, etc., and then its recommendations would be based off of that.
When Pandora was bad, it was pretty bad. But when it was good, I liked it a lot. Like I said, though, there were tricks to get it to work in your favor. I discovered some great music that way.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion- I was hoping to understand better why it is that I like certain frequencies, rhythms, chords, etc. Is it the frequency or the tempo or maybe the combinations of certain elements that I am unaware that I find pleasurable? If like to look at where else those frequencies occur and/ or creating new "songs" just for myself. Trying to tune visualizations to the music data...... Fine tuning by artificially producing combinations and comparing like the eye doctor does...

The possibilities are wide which I have trouble with the fact I can't find it, other than maybe it's called something else or is in someone else's wheelhouse. I like to think I understand what I'm asking, and that it is likely very simple - and very complicated

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 9
The streaming services -- Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Pandora, Apple Music -- will all serve up recommendations based on what you've already played; that's their software. The trick is that you'd better serve them only your sure favorites for a long time, because once something bad gets into that stream it will also generate recommendations that resemble it.

There are musician-oriented analyzers:

http://anasynth.ircam.fr/home/english/software/asannotation
https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

And recording programs that show you the waveform:
www.audacity.com

And word-of-mouth: Google your favorite band and RIYL (recommended if you like).

And there's good old-fashioned sheet music that tells you melodies, harmonies and rhythm once you learn to read it.

But a larger question...do you really only want to listen to music that sounds like something you've already heard? Wouldn't you also want to find a surprise or discovery?

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I am looking to find a magic key that will let me find and differentiate the music that moves me as oppose to the noise that entertains / annoys me, which is so much more common. The streaming services annoy me even more by forcing me to listen too absolute crap that I can't skip through unless I pay. Seems every band and every album has 1 or 2 good songs , and the rest I'll never listen too again. Don't read music and can't really ( yet) translate waveforms to what I like... Will keep looking. I'll look at the two suggested analyzers - thanks!

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Streaming services pay musicians fractions of a cent per spin. If you care about musicians having enough to pay for tonight's dinner you should pay for one of them.

As for irritation, it is the grain of sand that gets inside the oyster that makes the pearl. You should look for that grain to find the new music that opens up what you want to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back