Muse Model 2 DAC or Musical Fidelity X DacV3?
Nov 28, 2006 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
Would appreciate any recommendations here as I'm on the brink of purchasing an early 1990's highly rated classic $1700 at the time Muse Model 2 DAC for around $475 or the current Musical Fidelity X Dac V3 (used for around a year), for around $520 or so, both in very good condition. All the reviews I read of the Muse Model 2 were superlative & one said it worked great with my specific CD player while the reviews I read on the Musical Fidelity were somewhat mixed, or lets say not as superlative as I hope. I realize the Musical Fidelity is 24 bits & I think the Muse is 18. I play mainly 60/70's remastered blues & rock CDs & the DAC would be connected to my Pioneer PD-59 CD player which would be connected to my Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Tube Buffer which is connected to my receiver. Right now I'm leaning to the Muse because of the review which the reviewer said he tried it with the PD-59 CD Player & it sounded great. What would you people choose?

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would appreciate any recommendations here as I'm on the brink of purchasing an early 1990's highly rated classic $1700 at the time Muse Model 2 DAC for around $475 or the current Musical Fidelity X Dac V3 (used for around a year), for around $520 or so, both in very good condition. All the reviews I read of the Muse Model 2 were superlative & one said it worked great with my specific CD player while the reviews I read on the Musical Fidelity were somewhat mixed, or lets say not as superlative as I hope. I realize the Musical Fidelity is 24 bits & I think the Muse is 18. I play mainly 60/70's remastered blues & rock CDs & the DAC would be connected to my Pioneer PD-59 CD player which would be connected to my Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Tube Buffer which is connected to my receiver. Right now I'm leaning to the Muse because of the review which the reviewer said he tried it with the PD-59 CD Player & it sounded great. What would you people choose?

I'd get the Muse Model DAC.. I learned in HIFI that older seems to be better..Better build, less in cutting corners, & sturdier..Don't get caught up with 24bit, since regular CDS are only 16 bit..24bit is good to have but not necssary. Not totally impressed with the XDAC3 for it's retail price, but for 475.00 it would be good for the money.. But you need to buy accessories to really make it sing..

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 3
I've listened to Muse 2 DAC long, LONG ago (man, how did I hear all these things anyway?), and it sounds pretty good without glaring flaws. It's a bit dry without tubes somewhere in the system, though.

Also, that's not a great price for a 2. I've seen Muse 2 Plus DAC go for around the same price on Agon recently, and that one has the improved filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back