Munich High-End 2023 Impressions Thread (May 18-21)
May 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #46 of 67
Interesting. I wonder how many kidneys they want for that? And 'discrete' = R2R?
The MU2 is announced to be below 18k Euros. There is a technical explanation about the DAC on the Grimm website. I am also looking forward for first reviews. I’d be curious if MU2 sounds better than MU1 plus Cord DAVE.

May 27, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #47 of 67
The MU2 is announced to be below 18k Euros. There is a technical explanation about the DAC on the Grimm website. I am also looking forward for first reviews. I’d be curious if MU2 sounds better than MU1 plus Cord DAVE.
I’m trying to eliminate boxes and I’ve been really really impressed with the MU1. What it does with the Tambaqui is truly extraordinary and though I prefer the Tambaqui’s aesthetics more, if the MU2 can beat the MU1 + Tambaqui or get even close ( a tall order to be sure) I believe it’ll be worthwhile for me to explore.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #49 of 67

Went to a number of 2-channel demos too and the deVORE O/baby system was easily the most colorful and musical. John himself DJed.

IMG_0166.jpeg

It sure was a very nice sounding room and one year ago I've also enjoyed it.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 28, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #50 of 67
It sure was a very nice sounding room and one year ago I've also enjoyed it.

The other stand-out room was dCS with their Vivaldi Apex. They used Dan d’Agostino monos and Wilson speakers all cabled with Nordost. It did some things vastly better and others not as well. The insight into the music is truly wonderful and amazing. What it did not do is convey the colors of the music. I know the Vivaldi is capable of doing so as I own one – it was probably down to the combo of amp and Wilsons.

We are in a very different price bracket too...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #52 of 67
The other stand-out room was dCS with their Vivaldi Apex. They used Dan d’Agostino monos and Wilson speakers all cabled with Nordost. It did some things vastly better and others not as well. The insight into the music is truly wonderful and amazing. What it did not do is convey the colors of the music. I know the Vivaldi is capable of doing so as I own one – it was probably down to the combo of amp and Wilsons.

We are in a very different price bracket too...
I found the same. I was very unimpressed with all the dCS stuff I heard across the show.

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #53 of 67
I found the same. I was very unimpressed with all the dCS stuff I heard across the show.

Ah... Not what I wanted to convey. I love listening with my Vivaldi stack. The insight into the music it provides is otherworldly (not talking about resolution, different concept). How I can leave a long day behind and just sink into the music is priceless. Their DACs are something to appreciate over time. The longer you listen, the deeper the experience.

It is tempting for gear manufacturers to make a piece that jumps at you and makes you go ‘wow’ right away. Then? Wowowowowowowowowow gets boring or unlistenable. Sugar instead of food.

That said, dCS has a decades long history in pro audio digital conversion. Which gives their DNA a certain slant. They are not doing themselves a favor with the Lina amp. Also the system setup in the large room could have been phenomenal instead of impressive. They don’t voice their products. Which is good, as I can voice them later with my system choices. Their system choices beyond DACs are not my cup of tea. That’s all.

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #54 of 67
Ah... Not what I wanted to convey. I love listening with my Vivaldi stack. The insight into the music it provides is otherworldly (not talking about resolution, different concept). How I can leave a long day behind and just sink into the music is priceless. Their DACs are something to appreciate over time. The longer you listen, the deeper the experience.

It is tempting for gear manufacturers to make a piece that jumps at you and makes you go ‘wow’ right away. Then? Wowowowowowowowowow gets boring or unlistenable. Sugar instead of food.

That said, dCS has a decades long history in pro audio digital conversion. Which gives their DNA a certain slant. They are not doing themselves a favor with the Lina amp. Also the system setup in the large room could have been phenomenal instead of impressive. They don’t voice their products. Which is good, as I can voice them later with my system choices. Their system choices beyond DACs are not my cup of tea. That’s all.
I'm glad you really like yours. dCS systems were one of the things I was most excited to hear in Munich and I listened to them a lot, both in their "big" room with the Dagostinos etc and in their smaller headphone room. I really wanted to like them, especially since the team they had on site was so nice. I guess we just hear different things.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #55 of 67
I'm glad you really like yours. dCS systems were one of the things I was most excited to hear in Munich and I listened to them a lot, both in their "big" room with the Dagostinos etc and in their smaller headphone room. I really wanted to like them, especially since the team they had on site was so nice. I guess we just hear different things.

Let me ask, whether was there any other digital end you fancied more?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #56 of 67
Let me ask, whether was there any other digital end you fancied more?
My preference would be between the best Chord stuff which sounds very real and transparent (and at the highest end, starts to approach analog smoothness) and MSB which was all creamy analog smoothness and euphonic, but which also placed the music at a bit of a distance compared to the Chord gear. But on big orchestral stuff, wow, was it engrossing.

I spent a lot of time listening to the Wadax DAC too on all kinds of different material. It all sounded fine, but never really grabbed me emotionally like I had to keep listening, like the Chord and MSB did (I had a hard time leaving the MSB room).

Of course, just one person's opinion, and Munich High End is NOT an optimal listening situation, with the terrible room acoustics, awful leakage, vastly different speakers being used, etc. So take my impressions with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #57 of 67

I think I know where the difference is. Listening for sound vs. listening for music presentation.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #58 of 67
My preference would be between the best Chord stuff which sounds very real and transparent (and at the highest end, starts to approach analog smoothness) and MSB which was all creamy analog smoothness and euphonic, but which also placed the music at a bit of a distance compared to the Chord gear. But on big orchestral stuff, wow, was it engrossing.

I spent a lot of time listening to the Wadax DAC too on all kinds of different material. It all sounded fine, but never really grabbed me emotionally like I had to keep listening, like the Chord and MSB did (I had a hard time leaving the MSB room).

Of course, just one person's opinion, and Munich High End is NOT an optimal listening situation, with the terrible room acoustics, awful leakage, vastly different speakers being used, etc. So take my impressions with a SERIOUS grain of salt.

Chord is far away from MSB or dCS.

A long-time dCS community member has the fortune to own both a dCS Vivaldi and an MSB Select. He used the MSB for his headphone rig. Happy man. After the Vivaldi Apex upgrade he is selling his MSB and is integrating his headphone rig into the main room. That tells me it is close, and someone who lived with them for a long time made a call.

I spent under three minutes in the Kharma room, which was fronted by an MSB Select. So much for preferences.

And Wadax? What an abomination. I would never buy such an eyesore, although I would have the money for it.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #59 of 67
Chord is far away from MSB or dCS.

A long-time dCS community member has the fortune to own both a dCS Vivaldi and an MSB Select. He used the MSB for his headphone rig. Happy man. After the Vivaldi Apex upgrade he is selling his MSB and is integrating his headphone rig into the main room. That tells me it is close, and someone who lived with them for a long time made a call.

I spent under three minutes in the Kharma room, which was fronted by an MSB Select. So much for preferences.

And Wadax? What an abomination. I would never buy such an eyesore, although I would have the money for it.
Chord (at the highest end) is not far away from MSB or dCS, just different. For the "I'm in a smoky jazz club" experience, it's actually better (imho).

I listened to everything in the dCS room with every headphone they had and never got more than clean, clear and sterile. Nice, if that's what you like, but I couldn't engage with the music.

I don't get what the deal is with the Wadax. I was actually at the show to buy one of those or the top dCS if I loved it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back