Multipurpose IEMs/ultraportables for active/portable setup
Mar 3, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

quidathhaderak

New Head-Fier
*I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF THREADS OPENED WITH THIS I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING, SO HEAR ME OUT PLEASE.

Ok,so I sifted through a lot of these. I don't post much/at all but have been reading these board for quite a while.

I got my K81DJ. Recabled and everything. I like them for general purpose decently well. They can take a beating of moving around, they give a decent bass, and I listen to very wide variety of things. I am in the market for something more refined in the ~$100 region, but as of now, they are my main rig.

I have used the EP-630's, but they broke, and so I am looking for IEM/ultraportables. I was not psyched about the 630's, but they fit their niche well. I used them when I didn't want anything really big on my head (general purpose, nothing serious in terms of musical listening), and mostly exercising: I run and bike a lot. I am in training for a triathlon/ironman, so I need something that can do that. My main considerations are comfort or more to the point how well they stay in my ears (630's were OK at this, but never great), microphonics (!!!), and to some extent durability. Sound is not necessarily a priority considering the use, but the better the sound the more open I would be to it, considering I do use them as a portable rig semi-frequently. I realize that for exercising a really nice setup is a waste, but that is what I am looking for.
Again, I need something that I can exercise with, and use portably when needed until I upgrade.
*By upgrade, I mean - in the future when I become much more sophisticated as a listener, and I have the need and resources, I want to go custom (just the entry line - livewires, freQ line, or just custom futuresonic molding); that is a different issue for a different day. At the time of my upgrade they would naturally be mostly for portable listening not so much for exercise.*

For their purpose, these would be used with upbeat rock, hip-hop, electronic...anything that seems like a good idea for exercise. Excess of bass is not a must, but some of it and its good quality would be appreciated. My budget is up to around $70 - $80 (anything much higher than that will be considered when I upgrade from these) given what I am thinking:
super.fi 3 - ATM my front runner. My concern here is that they stick out quite a lot, but if this is the consensus choice, I can get over that
ety 6 - durability seems to be a consensus issue there
X3/X3i - not crazy about them, but will listen to what you guys have to say
lower line shure - heard good things on fit, not so good things on sound
another 630?
other ear buds (marshmellows, jays, etc.)
KSC 15 - will consider because they seem pretty decent AND they are really cheap, but read below-

last thing on what I am looking for: I cannot deal with regular ear buds. I've been very frustrated with the stop-gap solution to replace the broken 630's - ibuds. They don't fit, fall out sound is terrible at best and I spend mast majority of workouts putting them back in. I used the OLD sony street clip ons when I was much-much younger, but they flopped around a tiny bit, and they irritated the back of my ear helix (pinna) so I am not so psyched about the Koss clip ons. Haven't tried them, but fear the worst. I am open to be proven otherwise.

I really don't mind going with something quite cheap and possibly inferior sound-wise, but if paying $60+ will give me something I can work with for a while, and even possibly resell once I upgrade; or worse, KEEP for exercising, its all a plus. I realize a lot of people are really turned off against using decent quality equipment for working out, but at this stage of my noob life, I need something for variable portable use as well and that's where good sound quality really kicks in for me. Bottom line though, I am not looking to break the bank in the least, so any reasonable, low-priced option is very much a consideration.
All that being said, I will (obviously) use these unamped, but if using an amp for portability will breathe some life into something like a shure or UE or Ety, I might take it into consideration...once I decide to get an amp.

That being said, please give me some pointers on what way to go. I am open to all suggestions.

Lastly, I don't mind experimenting, and am not afraid of trying things and reselling them. I would really like to try some stuff too, but can't seem to find a meet anywhere in the Philly region, so if there are people who know something I don't about that, and/or are willing to let me try out, possibly audition some equipment please PM me. I have a very good (perfect feedback) Ebay reputation, and very open rapport with people I deal with, and have never ripped anyone off or anything; and I would certainly do anything in my powers to make anyone letting me try stuff out as comfortable as possible.

THANK YOU

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Uh, I'm essentially a n00b too, but I've tried more than a few of the entry level canalphones so I may have some actual knowledge I can drop on you.

Would you be open to the idea of getting something quite cheap for working out, then using the other, say $50-$70 for something better? That way you have one pair exclusively for working out and another for on the go use with much better sound quality.

If you like this idea, then I would suggest getting the JVC Marshmallows for working out since then can be found for $10-$20 at Circuit City among other places. For the other set of phones, I would say either the superfi.3 or the Altec Lansing im616 or im716. I have absolutely no firsthand experience with any of these, but I just purchased the im716 based on what I've read on these forums. I think either one of these would be a great fit for you considering what you'll be using them for.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 6
The im616 is $39.99 on Amazon. I am in the same boat as you are. My EP630 got stolen. Some A-hole broke into my car and stole my gym bag and mp3 player. Personally I would get something cheap since you have a high chance of losing or breaking while working out. Secondly SQ really don't matter that much when you are working out IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back