Multiple Source Headphones / Headset for Gaming
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheJester

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on a new pair of headphones that I can use for both PC and Xbox at the same time (i.e. I could listen to YouTube videos on my PC while playing games on Xbox). I do have an Astro Mixamp and Turtle Beach DSS2 to help with that, so mainly I need a headset that's compatible with either of those as well as Xbox One chat. I do know that gaming headsets are prevalently low quality, which is a big part of the reason I'm asking here. Here's some info -

Budget - Preferably under $150, but some lee-way is possible.

Type - Full size, open back preferred.

Mic monitoring / side tone / voice feedback - This is important to me, and also pretty limiting so far. Since headphones without a microphone won't have mic monitoring, it makes many high quality headsets pointless for me.

In the past I've used a Turtle Beach Spectre with the DSS2, and I loved that both sound and comfort wise. Unfortunately, the headset just has too short of a life span. I'm currently using an Astro A40 with a Mixamp Pro, and frankly, it just does not live up to its price. Audio seems muffled and altogether not particularly high quality.

That's pretty much it as far as what I feel would be relevant information goes. I'm open to any recommendations headphone wise - not just gaming headsets, though whatever I get needs to have some kind of microphone monitoring with it. Obviously, if there's any information I can expand on or make clearer, I'd be super glad to do so. Thanks so much for your help!

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on a new pair of headphones that I can use for both PC and Xbox at the same time (i.e. I could listen to YouTube videos on my PC while playing games on Xbox). I do have an Astro Mixamp and Turtle Beach DSS2 to help with that, so mainly I need a headset that's compatible with either of those as well as Xbox One chat. I do know that gaming headsets are prevalently low quality, which is a big part of the reason I'm asking here. Here's some info -

Budget - Preferably under $150, but some lee-way is possible.

Type - Full size, open back preferred.

Mic monitoring / side tone / voice feedback - This is important to me, and also pretty limiting so far. Since headphones without a microphone won't have mic monitoring, it makes many high quality headsets pointless for me.

In the past I've used a Turtle Beach Spectre with the DSS2, and I loved that both sound and comfort wise. Unfortunately, the headset just has too short of a life span. I'm currently using an Astro A40 with a Mixamp Pro, and frankly, it just does not live up to its price. Audio seems muffled and altogether not particularly high quality.

That's pretty much it as far as what I feel would be relevant information goes. I'm open to any recommendations headphone wise - not just gaming headsets, though whatever I get needs to have some kind of microphone monitoring with it. Obviously, if there's any information I can expand on or make clearer, I'd be super glad to do so. Thanks so much for your help!

I fear that your requirement for microphone monitoring is going to markedly restrict the number of headphone options for you. I can't find a third-party manufacturer of microphone monitoring technology. Are you aware of one? Most gamers here on headfi purchase traditional (open) headphones (ATH-AD700X or HD558 or 598) and add a Modmic. You might check out Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide here on headfi--there could be useful info there for you. There are a number of good options for you if you don't need microphone monitoring.  The only two I found that look like they have mic monitoring are both closed-back and very expensive.- -(

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I had a feeling that might be the case. If it's going to be that much of an impediment, I suppose some super open back headphones will have to suffice, and I can try to figure out another way to get some kind of mic monitoring effect. I think the wisest thing would be to just do the traditional headphones with a mod mic, because going for mic monitoring headsets basically points me straight into gaming marketing territory.

I do have a couple ideas for mic monitoring. I believe there may be some few options for PC applications, and I know that there is an Xbox controller accessory that adds it to essentially any headset (the reason I was avoiding it is because that would obviously only work when my controller was on + chat cord was in). But the most important thing is audio. Maybe the HD 598's?

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 4
  I had a feeling that might be the case. If it's going to be that much of an impediment, I suppose some super open back headphones will have to suffice, and I can try to figure out another way to get some kind of mic monitoring effect. I think the wisest thing would be to just do the traditional headphones with a mod mic, because going for mic monitoring headsets basically points me straight into gaming marketing territory.

I do have a couple ideas for mic monitoring. I believe there may be some few options for PC applications, and I know that there is an Xbox controller accessory that adds it to essentially any headset (the reason I was avoiding it is because that would obviously only work when my controller was on + chat cord was in). But the most important thing is audio. Maybe the HD 598's?

I think for both gaming and music taken together, the 598 js probably your best bet in your price range. It really does sound terrific for its price (I have one, among many others). I listen to mine regularly. It doesn't have mega-deep bass, but the bass is more than adequate with a good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back