Multiple soundcards in one PC?
Mar 1, 2005 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm planning on putting in another soundcard in my PC.
Is it possible to have my ol' Audigy to just play games, but use the other card for recording and playback?

Sorry if it has been asked before, but these keywords are hardly searchable, they are a bit too common...

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes, it is possible.
Windows lets you choose default playback/recording device in the control panel (Sound and Audio Drvices). Many programs also lets you choose the sound device, overriding Windows' default.

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Multiple sound cards usually work fine unless their drivers interfere with each other (has happened with Audigys and EMUs, since they're essentially from the same company and share some files).

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 11
my plan will involve 3 soundcards

Chaintech AV-710 (foobar)
Audigy [whichever i end up buying] (default playback)
Onboard (default recording [for the mic in on the front of the case])

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 11
i thought i was on to something, when i tried to run two av-710's..

this did not go over so well. windows decided it didn't want to play nice with the av-710 twins.

so yeah.. that's a lesson learned and passed on.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 11
duh... windows naturally has problems with 2 of THE SAME DAMN CARD

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75
i thought i was on to something, when i tried to run two av-710's..

this did not go over so well. windows decided it didn't want to play nice with the av-710 twins.

so yeah.. that's a lesson learned and passed on.

Well, imagine Windows (or any other computer, for that matter) go like "play through AV-710 card? but wich one?
confused.gif
ERROR: IRQ collision" or something else
tongue.gif

Anyway, why did you want two of the same in one PC... that's an interesting question. I can't see any advantage to it...

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 11
which one? it's easy.. pci slot 0, pci slot 1, pci slot 2.. makes sense to me.. it's not my idea that bad.. it's windows only recognizing what is in a slot, but not being able to recognize which slot it's in and which to interact with during different tasks.

does having two of the same hd's in a computer cause problems? NO.
does having two of the same monitors connected to one videocard cause a problem? NO.
does have two of the same optical drives in a computer cause problems? NO.

it makes sense to why it may not work, but that isn't a problem with what i was trying to have it do, but definitely a problem with the operating system.

anyhoo..

i wanted to run one using the hi-sample rate output for music and the other for it's surround capabilities for dvd playback and gaming amongst other things.

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
duh... windows naturally has problems with 2 of THE SAME DAMN CARD

Wrong.

Depends on the drivers.

I have used a Windows system with three identical soundcards in them and was able to switch between them perfectly in Foobar.

-Ed

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah I think the M-Audio Delta line supports having like 4 Delta cards in the same box. Or so I recall reading... I've got the Delta DiO 2496.

Just found some confirmation of that online, article stating "The Control Panel supports up to four Delta cards and ..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back