Multiple Microphone setup
Nov 6, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jewman

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm not sure this is in the correct forum, but here it goes:

I'm starting a podcast with some friends, a round-table podcast if you will. I would like to know the best way in which to record my friends and my having this discussion. I would like to record into my iBook, and if possible, through multiple channels.

So does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best way to go about doing this?

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget, and do you already have any recording equipment?

Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. I was thinking of getting a mixer and some headsets such as the Shure 512. I am wondering if it's better to have a regular mixer or one that can connect to my iBook through firewire or USB, because I'd like to record in multiple channels through Audacity or the like.

My budget is $200 and below if that's feasible.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment. I was thinking of getting a mixer and some headsets such as the Shure 512. I am wondering if it's better to have a regular mixer or one that can connect to my iBook through firewire or USB, because I'd like to record in multiple channels through Audacity or the like.

My budget is $200 and below if that's feasible.

At that price point, you'll have to decide between two different options. Either buy a recording interface (USB or Firewire), which is likely to have only two microphone inputs, or buy a less expensive sound card and a mixer, which will give you more inputs but won't allow you to record them to individual tracks.

I'm not sure if Audacity does multi-track recording... I can't remember if the signal routing is good enough for that. Either way, you'll probably want something with more and better editing features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back