Multiple Micro SD slots?
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:
What you need is one of these, CF card to 4 micro SD card converter http://www.geekstuff4u.com/four-slot-microsdhc-to-cf-converter.html#.UOYGNW9NXh4

With 4 32GB SD cards you'd get 128GB of memory. Tragically they haven't been on sale since 2009 
mad.gif

Quote:

eek.gif
 this + iPod 5.5 
L3000.gif

That would be awesome!

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:
With 5.5g, you have so many choices for the drives ....

1. up to 240GB HDD ZIF
2. up to 256GB SSD ZIF
3. up to 128GB CF Card (with adapter)
4. up to 128GB mSATA SSD (with adapter)

Yep i know, but the 256GB SSD Drives still seem to be quite expensive, wich is the reason why I'm still using an old school drive with 240 Gigs... but the thing is that these are kinda likely to fail... i went thru 3 drives already btw. that's why i want CHEAP flash storage...

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #34 of 42
All I want-a DAP with a 2.5" HDD/SSD slot, and 3 outputs-headphone out, line out, digital out. Thats all. Oh, and really long battery life. Support for every format ever-or just shipped with RockBox. Not all that much to ask, really.

Seriously, is it really too much to ask for? Anyone able to do the math?
*ssD
*battery
*components (could be from a clip+)
*rockbox

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:
Yep i know, but the 256GB SSD Drives still seem to be quite expensive, wich is the reason why I'm still using an old school drive with 240 Gigs... but the thing is that these are kinda likely to fail... i went thru 3 drives already btw. that's why i want CHEAP flash storage...

From my own experience, none of the stock HDD's or swapped HDD's have failed on me so far. A couple of the ipods had free falls from 3ft to the tiled floor without any problems. Now I do understand the benefit of the ssd's - in addition to durability it will be much lighter with much longer battery life good for portability.

Yes the 256GB SSD ZIF is still pricy, but you can put in a 128GB CF card (not the brand name) with a adapter for about $160. Not bad. The option of using a mSATA (with an adapter) will cost less but so far it's proven only working with the stock apple firmware not Rockbox.

EDIT: My suggestion is you collect a pair of 5.5g's each swapped with a 128GB CF cards instead of having one 5.5g with a single 256GB SSD. Not only it will cost much less, also it's more practical (let's be honest 128GB is a lot for a few days' listening to your music) and you will not be left without music when one is gone for whatever reason.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:
Seriously, is it really too much to ask for? Anyone able to do the math?
*ssD
*battery
*components (could be from a clip+)
*rockbox

Yeah, really. Go for an HDD on a budget build-
1tb HDD-$50-$60
Battery-I don't know. Can't cost all that much.
Clip+ components-$30
Rockbox-Free.
Here you have the single most amazing DAP for well under $200. Need to learn how to build one. Maybe integrate a nice amp and DAC as long as I am making my own case, never have to figure out how to carry everything together. I have access to a 3-D printer, so...

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #37 of 42
Yeah, really. Go for an HDD on a budget build-
1tb HDD-$50-$60
Battery-I don't know. Can't cost all that much.
Clip+ components-$30
Rockbox-Free.
Here you have the single most amazing DAP for well under $200. Need to learn how to build one. Maybe integrate a nice amp and DAC as long as I am making my own case, never have to figure out how to carry everything together. I have access to a 3-D printer, so...
i think he meant a 2.5" hdd :wink: or ssd (probably $200-500). and probably also means you'd need an interface converter of some sort as well or drivers for RB to see it (if it's possibly at all for the clip components). This is probably primarily why people use old ipods that already support a similar interface for the cf cards or ssd and fits in the case and has a large enough battery to power it (and is still rockboxable )

YEAAAA let's kickstarter this b...tch :D. juuust kiddin.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #38 of 42
All you need is an android phone/pmp which can act as a usb host. Just hook up an external hard drive via a powered hub and you'll have as much memory as you want. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #39 of 42
All you need is an android phone/pmp which can act as a usb host. Just hook up an external hard drive via a powered hub and you'll have as much memory as you want. 

this sorta keeps going further and further away from portable. Plus many android devices are far from ideal for playing music. (playback time, dropout issues, hw controls, etc)

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #41 of 42
:frowning2: what happened to KISS?

I'm sure a few people are tickling with arduino or a similar all in one boards more suitable to portable glory (size, power consumption, price, display, android ports, etc) as we speak :D

That said, DIY Dap using those is probably not a simple endeavour at all :D and/or compromises on at least something somewhere

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:
I'm sure a few people are tickling with arduino or a similar all in one boards more suitable to portable glory (size, power consumption, price, display, android ports, etc) as we speak
biggrin.gif

That said, DIY Dap using those is probably not a simple endeavour at all
biggrin.gif
and/or compromises on at least something somewhere

I am considering trying something starting from a jailbroken iPhone and Apples CCK to get a digital out. I'm looking into getting a 30-pin splitter, and using two seperate CCKs. If I can, I could use a 2.5" SATA drive with a SATA to USB converter. Might have to do a marketed external drive, as I don't know how to power the SATA drive-or if the 30-pin could power an external drive. Then, once this whole stack is completed, 3-D printing a case for it. It would be thick, but probably sound pretty awesome. Thinking
iPhone
HDD
DAC
Amp

Might have to go with a DAC/amp combo if that ends up too thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back