Multiple CD Players
Feb 9, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 26
I have started thinking about my situation on a different level. Should I consider a CD transport rather then a CD player? The reason I am consider this is because my Audio Video Controller accepts optical and digital inputs. I am assuming that the DAC inside, 24-bit Burr Brown PCM 1716 D-A converters, would be far better then what I would find in a CD player.

Should I just focus on a quality CD transport device or are the DAC’s inside my AVC junk and should get a better CD unit and run analog in?

Below are the specs of my Parasound AVC-1800 audio video controller.

Specifications
•Frequency Response:
Front (Large) 10 Hz-20 kHz Front (Small) 80 Hz-20 kHz
Rear (Large) 10 Hz-20 kHz Rear (Small) 80 Hz-20 kHz
Center (Large ) 10 Hz-22 kHz Center (Small ) 80 Hz-22 kHz
Subwoofer (LPF) 10 Hz-80 Hz Subwoofer (300 Hz) 10 Hz-300 Hz
•Harmonic Distortion: Front <0.008 % Center < 0.008 % Rear < 0.008 % Subwoofer < 0.008 %
•Input Impedance: Analog Inputs 10 kW Coaxial Digital Inputs 75 ‡
•IM Distortion: (1 kHz 1V Output) All Channels <0.06 %
•Signal/Noise Ratio: (Flat/A-Weighted) Front 90 dB / 93 dB Center 90 dB / 93 dB Rear 75 dB / 82 dB Subwoofer 85 dB / 93 dB
•Video Section: (Output 1 V / 75 W Load), Sensitivity 1 V + /- 0.5 dB,Frequency Response 0.3 MHz -10 MHz + /- 1 dB, Overload: 2.5 V P-P

Features
•24-bit Burr Brown PCM 1716 D-A converters
•24-bit processing
•Dolby Digital, DTS, LucasFilm Cinema Re-EQ, and Dolby Pro Logic
•Automatically Detects Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 flag
•Four Audio/Video Inputs with Composite and S-Video Connectors
•Three Separate Audio Inputs plus tuner
•Two Coaxial and two optical digital inputs
•Surround modes and digital inputs are assignable to inputs
•5.1 channel analog input for forward compatibility
•On-screen display, switchable for NTSC or PAL regions
•High quality FM/AM stereo tuner with 29 presets and preset scan
•Stereo bass and treble controls with bypass
•Remote zone audio with separate 12 Volt DC triggers
•External IR inputs, separate for main and remote zones
•Backlit Universal learning remote control
•High current encapsulated toroid power transformer
•FR4 glass epoxy mil-spec circuit boards
•Gold plated RCA jacks
•Removable IEC AC cord

Link to Parasound spec's

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 26
A transport is just a CD player, except without the DACs. From what I can tell, and I can be totally wrong on this, CD transport (if new) nowadays are going to be more expensive than most of the components mentioned so far in this thread. On the other hand, any CD player with a digital output, be it the Sony 595/C2000ES or even a DVD player, can function as a transport.

As for the Burr-Brown DACs used in your Parasound AVC, not sure how they sound. I've read somewhere the Sony 595 does use a custom-made-for-Sony Burr-Brown DAC.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 26
Just got my SCD-CE595 today and giving it a shake-down run. I can't tell too much yet, as I also got this simultaneously with a new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphones. Only a few hours on the headphones and running through a Nakamici RE-3 integrated receiver (temporary amplifier). Not too sure which component I'm hearing in this setup. However, I can say that I certainly agree that it's very nice to not have to change the CD everytime. 5 discs are about right for me. Very nice when working in front of the PC for hours on end (like now
icon10.gif
).

My first impression is that the changing mechanism is not a cheap design. Not great, but it appears OK. The unit takes some time to ingest / read the CD info when it first loads, and also when swapping discs. Nice menu. I have it running in 2-channel SACD mode. You can swap between normal CD and SACD modes for hybrid discs, but it will take you back to the start of the track.

Without much time on the player, I'm trusting on others for opinions. I get the impression this is a decent unit, so if I want to upgrade, I should just get the TRL mod. So far, sounds fine, but the redbook is a bit lacking. Maybe it's not the player I'm hearing. Another indication of quality is that if someone offers a mod, it's something that a lot of people like and want to keep.

Gorthon: What you really need are the clock jitter / timing specs of both the transport and the DAC. That's where the differences come into play. Check around on the other threads. Are you interested in SACD? No SACD without DRM support- you need a license. The torroidal transformer says much about the care they put into the power supply design. This is good. FR-4 (Fire-Resistant)-4 is G-10 glass epoxy with a better control of the dielectric properties and can be used up to RF frequencies. Good again. 24-bits is good. Filtering is usually the critical part of the design. It's what most companies keep as a trade secret and is probably why Sony has a custom DAC.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 26
I have no interest in SACD, at least not at this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekGirl
What you really need are the clock jitter / timing specs of both the transport and the DAC. That's where the differences come into play. Check around on the other threads.

I am not sure I understand what you are refering to When you say I need the "clock jitter / timing specs of both the transport and the DAC". Are you refering to my Parasond unit or what to consider on a new CDP purchase.

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 26
I just did a very limited mini-comparison of the CE-595. I needed to see if this unit is worth keeping so I can ship it back if there's a problem.

Sources: Sony SCD-CE595, Arcam MCD Alpha (6 disc changer), Denon DVD-2200 (DVD / CD / SACD / DVD-A)
Amp: Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (about 10 hours broken in)

All source outputs were interconnected via digital (optical for Sony / Denon, coax for Arcam) and fed into an appropriate Yamaha input. Headphones connected directly to the headphone jack on the front panel.

I used the redbook MFSL "Gold" Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. One CD does not constitute a review, but it's a good sanity check. The Sony was noticeably cleaner on imaging and had the least distortion than the other 2 sources. The Arcam seemed a bit on the bright side, but the Denon seemed to have the most distortion - not by much. (pmk - yes, the Arcam is a nice unit).

The Sony can stand up on its own and it's worth keeping. I really like having a changer and will definitely check out the TRL mod. Now to do something about the amp...

Feb 12, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #24 of 26
Any opinions on these?

Integra CDC 3.4 - buy here --> $269

Marantz CC4300 5-Disc CD Changer

CDC-3.4 Features
• 6-disc CD changer
• MP3 playback
• Multi-bit D/A converter
• 128-times oversampling
• VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)
• Direct Digital Path
• Change up to 5 discs without stopping playback
• Cue up the next track or disc with the Next
Selection function
• Repeat playbacks: All Discs, Entire Disc, Random
Tracks, Memory Tracks, Random Memory,
Single Folder, Single Track
• 40-track memory playback
• Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
• Analog outputs

CDC-3.4 Specifications
Signal readout system...................... Optical non-contact
Frequency response ................................... 5 Hz–20 kHz
SN ratio .................................................. ............... 98 dB
Audio Dynamic range ........................................... 96 dB
THD (Total harmonic distortion) ...... 0.005% (at 1 kHz)
Audio output (Digital/Optical) ......................–22.5 dBm
Audio output/Impedance (Digital/Coaxial)
.................................................. ......0.5 V (p-p) / 75

Audio output/Impedance (Analog)
.................................................. ... 2.0 V (rms) / 470

Power supply rating..............................AC 120 V 60 Hz
Power consumption ................................................ 10 W
Standby power consumption .................................... 4 W
Dimensions (W×H×D).....17-1/8"×5-3/16"×17-3/16(435×131×436 mm)
Weight ................................................. 15.0 lbs. (6.8 kg)
Operating conditions Temperature/Humidity.. 41–95 °F (5–35 °C) / 25–80%
Disc compatibility ...........................CD, CD-R, CD-RW
RC-553C (Remote Controller)
Transmitter .................................................. .......Infrared
Signal range.............................. Approx. 16 ft., 5 meters
Power supply ............Two (AA/R6) batteries (1.5 V x 2)
Specifications
notice.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 26
Don't forget the quality of the source material is the limiting factor. MP3 material is not the same as SACD. These units are optimized for MP3 and homebrew CD-R/W reproduction. Displaying the ID tags and buffering the tracks so you don't hear the gap between discs are nice features.

There's a bit of marketing in the specmanship here. Printing lots of numbers looks impressive. However, it's not necessary to list the power level of a digital signal (dBm is for a 50 Ohm system - coax is 75 Ohms impedance and optical is meaningless). As long as it meets / exceeds the standards, it will work.

24-bits should work fine in either unit.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 26
I'm curious about the CDC 3.4 as well. I have a CAL CL-10 changer that is awesome but getting long in the tooth. I need a replacement and second system changer. Cost isn't an object at this stage because I want the best CD sound I can get from a changer. There is time for me to shop around. I'm not interested in modding anything because it makes service over the long term more dicey. I'm a "fire and forget" kind of guy. Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorthon
Any opinions on these?

Integra CDC 3.4 - buy here --> $269

Marantz CC4300 5-Disc CD Changer

CDC-3.4 Features
• 6-disc CD changer
• MP3 playback
• Multi-bit D/A converter
• 128-times oversampling
• VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)
• Direct Digital Path
• Change up to 5 discs without stopping playback
• Cue up the next track or disc with the Next
Selection function
• Repeat playbacks: All Discs, Entire Disc, Random
Tracks, Memory Tracks, Random Memory,
Single Folder, Single Track
• 40-track memory playback
• Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
• Analog outputs

CDC-3.4 Specifications
Signal readout system...................... Optical non-contact
Frequency response ................................... 5 Hz–20 kHz
SN ratio .................................................. ............... 98 dB
Audio Dynamic range ........................................... 96 dB
THD (Total harmonic distortion) ...... 0.005% (at 1 kHz)
Audio output (Digital/Optical) ......................–22.5 dBm
Audio output/Impedance (Digital/Coaxial)
.................................................. ......0.5 V (p-p) / 75

Audio output/Impedance (Analog)
.................................................. ... 2.0 V (rms) / 470

Power supply rating..............................AC 120 V 60 Hz
Power consumption ................................................ 10 W
Standby power consumption .................................... 4 W
Dimensions (W×H×D).....17-1/8"×5-3/16"×17-3/16(435×131×436 mm)
Weight ................................................. 15.0 lbs. (6.8 kg)
Operating conditions Temperature/Humidity.. 41–95 °F (5–35 °C) / 25–80%
Disc compatibility ...........................CD, CD-R, CD-RW
RC-553C (Remote Controller)
Transmitter .................................................. .......Infrared
Signal range.............................. Approx. 16 ft., 5 meters
Power supply ............Two (AA/R6) batteries (1.5 V x 2)
Specifications
notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back