Multimeter question between stock and custom cables
May 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nashking101

Head-Fier
Why when I test a stock cable in my headphones my multimeter beeps and shows the ohms but when I test my custom cables it shows the ohms but doesn't beep?

Sorry if its a silly question but It started when I was going to buy some faulty headphones as a project to fix so I wanted to get to grips to check if one of the wires was broken (as in break in the circuit) via the jack plug?

May 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 7
I would imagine if the impedance of the cable you are testing is 50 - 100 Ohms perhaps the continuity test will "fail to beep".  It may bring into question the quality of the cable, the solder joints, and the type of terminations, but chances are you will be fine unless you notice something awry.

May 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the quick reply, Well I get a reading of 62 from both the left and the right on the custom, it's mogami 2893 used with my hd 25.

Just out of curiosity i checked the right(ring) to left(tip) and got a reading of 124, should that happen?

May 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Is your custom cable attached to the headphone and the other isnt?

It seems totally fine if that's the case. Of you go left to right you measure the resistance trough both of the drivers, thus doubling right or left to ground.

May 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Cheers I'm all new to this so geting my bearings. One more thing then, when I try to fix the broken headphones should able to check if there's a loose wire along the cable via the jak plug before I take anything apart?

May 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes you can. If right to ground doesn't work it's either ground or right. Check right to left, if those two work it has got to be ground. 
You should be able to figure it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back