Multilayer Board Awes
Feb 4, 2007 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tomo

DIY tube amps can be SHOCKING
Hey,

I just repairing my poor Web Radio.

KC280015.jpg

This thing is done on dual layer board. When I turn it on CPU/Memory etc were all down; occasionally it turns on normally to upset me. It took me 1 month to figure this out, but sometimes through-hole conduction doesn't work. So I soldered one side perfectly, but it didn't mean I had correct connection on the component side.

I essentially resoldered the entire board with a lot more solder and now it works perfectly. ... but you ought to look at my shoddy job.

KC280016.jpg

I upgraded to better electrolytics, but when I did it I burned the crap out of the board (black spots) and tore some patterns. It is amazing it works.

Anyways, the lesson is that when you solder multi-layer boards, you MUST spend extra time with your iron to make sure solder wet the hole completely through.

Tomo

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 8
Another lesson... desoldering small plated though-holes is a real pain in the ass compared to single-layer boards. So getting it right the first time is paramount.
plainface.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Fortney, are you an amateur radio operator, or just found elecraft on the web? I've built their T1 tuner kit so far, and I'm planning a K2 when finances allow.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, N5---

I built the 2 band CW only K1 xceiver and am very satisfied with it. The instruction book was excellent.

I am sure you will like the K2--many options on it--there are several real resident experts on the elecraft email forum to answer any of your construction or operation questions. I get the impression from the email list that the K2 is significantly more of a challenge to build than the K1. (That's good!!)

F

Feb 6, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 8
I find it's easier and more satisfying to use a tiny carbide rasp to drill the excess solder out of plated holes that don't want to desolder. you can buy these on ebay, or at harbor freight tools. They are the same bits that are used to drill pcb material.

Sometimes it's enough to saturate a length of solder wick with a good quality activated flux. You'd be surprised how much that can help.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Hehe,

This project is a STAND-ALONE internet radio. Yep. No computer required.

It is nice when I want to no computer fan noise or when I need to reboot often. (Blame MICR@S@FT)

Cool huh?

Tomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back