multichannel DIY output soundcard
Jan 17, 2007 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cougarz

New Head-Fier
Hello
i'm looking to a high quality DIY project DAC+PRE for 5 or 8 channels from pc multichannel source to my multichannel amplifier. I've seen a lot of usb to analog project but nothing on audiophile multichannel through firewire for example. I'm considering the buy of a pro-audio soundcard like MOTU ULTRALITE or RME FIREFACE 400 but i hate wasting money on A/D converters and other unwanted features and non audiophiles digital pre...
Anything interesting out there?
Bye
Paolo

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 4
Paolo,

I don't know of any audiophile 5-8 channel DAC projects here or anywhere else.
blink.gif
Most audiophile projects here deal with L-R stereo. What does exist here though is souping up semi-audiophile and pro audio gear to really make it sing, while shrinking the old wallet.

I'd suggest you search the DIY threads for modifications to EMU, MOTU, Soundblaster Audigy and M-Audio sound cards. Look especially for improvements to the coupling caps (or removing them where dc offset is okay), improving and increasing capacitance of the de-coupling caps, and OpAmp upgrades. Be prepared for a lot of reading.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Members have contributed a mass of stuff, some of it playfully contradictory and confusing.
confused.gif
Remember too that you might ruin a perfectly good sound card.

Good starting point for resources here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=DIY+Resources

Good luck and enjoy.
600smile.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Hrm, what about building multiple stereo USB DACs and integrating a USB hub into your project?

Does the software you are looking at using will allow to use different sound cards for different channels?

Rob.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 4
I just want to verify cougarz that you have properly researched those two products you mentioned and know what they are used for! Those are multichannel mixers essentially used for home or portable recording environments. (they could be used in a pro recording environment but wouldnt sound nearly as good as a proper protools setup). They ARE NOT consumer multi channel external sound cards such as those sold by Creative or Turtle Beach. In other words...they will not support multi channel outputs such as dolby digital or multichannel output built into some games.

So what is it excatly that you are looking for here? The MOTU retails for around $550 and the for $1000. This is a headphone forum, you migth want to repost your request on a proaudio web forum such as FOHONLINE.

Somehow I dont think this is really what you are looking for though...or you wouldnt be looking to make one yourself in a DIY forum!

If you ARE looking fro a multi channel USB based sound card that supports 5.1 dolby however....than thats another story altogether!

Let me know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back