Multi volume control thing, dont know what its called
Apr 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

shrimants

1000+ Head-Fier
I have 1 or 2 audio outputs without any sort of hardware volume control on them. I would like to turn this into a massive 4-6 audio outputs, each with its own volume control. I dont know what the device that does this is called. Is it still a multi channel amp? or is it a multiplexer? or is it a mixer? The idea is that I have multiple headphones, speaker, subwoofer all connected and each needs its own volume control. I would like the ability to turn each interface on/off as necessary.

I feel like this has to be an active component, so I guess I should plan on spending quite a bit on it, but I'm completely open to DIY options. I do have a rough schematic drawn up but I have such little experience with this stuff that without some heavy help and research I have no idea what i'm doing aside from placing opamps and potentiometers. I already have enough stuff to make a passive attenuator. i have like 8 RCA jacks and 2 alps blue pots but considering I would like at the minimum 2 outputs but preferably 3 (one can be selectable, i dont care) I need to get this taken care of in at least a temporary way if not a permanent one.

The device I'm planning on building is kind of like a headphone Y-splitter but its buffered so you dont get the one headphone is loud, one is soft problem. Furthermore, each has its own volume control. I dont really care if I have to plug/unplug from this 2-way active volume controlled splitter but I really need something as a quick fix, at least temporarily. I dont have parts, let alone an oscilloscope, at my disposal to test out a DIY version of this project.

BTW I can upload my schematic/drawings if you guys are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back