Multi-use, Portable Amp
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zachw01

New Head-Fier
Hello again!

I am possibly in the market for a portable amp. Price range would be ~$100 or less and my headphones will most likely be a pair of Grado sr80is (I havn't fully decided on a pair yet). On a brief search I found that a Corda Headsix/Move or Fiio E11 might be pretty good for me. However, I would most likely be using this amp both for at home and portable use.

Also, a question that just dawned on me and is probably really stupid. If I was to get a portable amp could I use said amp to hook up to my computer and then instead of playing out of headphones, playing out of my Philips 5.1 HTS3565D home theater system.

Any kind of advise for a good multi-use amp would be great. Also some input on the above amps would also be great. Thanks guys!

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The fiio e11 doesn't work while charging, so it probably wouldn't be that great for home use. I would also like to see some responses as I am looking into an amp for these purposes as well.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I think it could be used at home as well as long as you charge it overnight. However if your home source sounds crappy to begin with, the E11 won't make it a ton better, as it doesn't have a dac.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd reccomend splurging and getting an E17. It's everything you want at 150USD. Although you can hook it up to a speaker system, it's not designed for that (no headphone amps are) so YMMV. The E17 is portable and works at home. It'll work as a portable amp for iPods, and other things that have LOD cables, and it'll work as a portable amp/DAC, too.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Well the whole hooking it up to my surround sound was more curiosity and would have been a bonus, but it sounds like I won't be trying to do that.
I will definitely keep that E17 in mind, I didn't even realize that the E11 lacked a DAC. I'll be paying more attention to that now haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back