MULTI TOOL-FI
Sep 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #76 of 96

Quote:
The Surge seems great, but one big problem is the price here in Europe, the SuperTool 300 would be good if it had scissors...

I am also thinking about the Gerber Flik, it has just everything I need, but I'm not sure if the pliers are good. 

My dad has a Gerber Suspension that he keeps as a light duty multi-tool. I believe the pliers are the same style as on the Flik except for they are standard folders and I believe the Flik has gravity drop pliers? The pliers on the Suspension are pretty darn good and if the current Flik models are like the older Gerbers of similar design, you should be in good shape. Incidentally, iirc, the Gerber Suspension also should have all the features you are looking for including scissors.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #77 of 96

Quote:
My dad has a Gerber Suspension that he keeps as a light duty multi-tool. I believe the pliers are the same style as on the Flik except for they are standard folders and I believe the Flik has gravity drop pliers? The pliers on the Suspension are pretty darn good and if the current Flik models are like the older Gerbers of similar design, you should be in good shape. Incidentally, iirc, the Gerber Suspension also should have all the features you are looking for including scissors.

For me the Flik is better than the Suspension, the Flik has bigger scissors and the blades and plier can be opened one hand.

It's not expensive anyway, so I guess I'll just get a Flik, and a Super Tool 300 or Swisstool with it:)

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #78 of 96
I carry my Leatherman Skeletool everywhere but I also have a SOG and Gerber for more serious tasks in my car 

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #79 of 96
Cool thread. 

I've had an SOG tool for years that I bring backpacking, but never thought to carry it around on a daily basis. There are plenty of instances where I think "boy it'd be nice to have a screwdriver right now" too. I'm looking at that Leatherman Skeletool since it seems a bit smaller. People are pretty happy with that? 

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #80 of 96
I've got a Leatherman Micra for EDC on my house keys. Never know when you'll need a nice pair of scissors handy. I think it was bundled with the Leatherman Kick that I got to have a compact set of pliers ... for you know, plying :p

Anybody have a good TSA (Airline) approved multitool?

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #82 of 96

This looks like something a transformer would use.
Quote:
I bought this to keep on me while at work:

TM_LeatherMan_Skeletool.jpg

Skeletool_Beauty.jpg

Leatherman Skeletool

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #83 of 96
That's the one I carry everywhere every day V2medic I just love it

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #84 of 96
Sup guys. Leatherman Core here. I like it, though I've not used it too much. It helped a bunch in the military for menial tasks and such. I used to have the Skeletool CX but I hated it. The bit would fall out, the knife was of shoddy quality and became dull VERY quickly, and the pliers were extremely fragile. They got all worn out and they would bend on the wrong axis. What I mean is that if I tried to apply torque, they would seem like they were trying to "scissor" on me. I suppose they are fine for light weight stuff, but the Core is a MUCH more heavy duty tool.

I only wish there was a leatherman designed for IT guys/electronics guys. Something with proper multi-sized wire strippers, nice small but heavy duty phillips head/torx/flat head screw drivers, standard knife and pokey bits, etc.

the core is having a small bit of a rust problem and I wish it was a bit easier to sharpen close to the bulk of the tool. Also wish there was something to lock the tool into an L shape and lock it in fully extended mode for those weirdly hard to reach places.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #85 of 96
anyone tried out that new Leatherman Crunch? vice grips? looks awsome

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #86 of 96
I have a crunch. I used it today to hold a piece of metal so I wouldn't burn my fingers while I ground down one end. Check it out in the store. The vise grip feature may seem a bit wonky in comparison to full sized vice grips but they do work well once you clamp them on something. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #87 of 96
I have a Leatherman PS4 that I keep with my keys and Fenix L0D flashlight.
I don't usually need to use it, which is why I don't carry larger multi-tools, but the pliers come in handy sometimes.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #88 of 96

Quote:
I have a Leatherman PS4 that I keep with my keys and Fenix L0D flashlight.
I don't usually need to use it, which is why I don't carry larger multi-tools, but the pliers come in handy sometimes.

Great setup! 
I totally understand you. I don't really need a multi tool or a flashlight with me since I live in a city, and I rarely find situations when I need a tool and I don't have one.

I have a few multitools including the Charge TTi, Swiss Tool & Swiss Tool Spirit, and a whole bunch of (rather large) flashlights.
I've just realized that I need to get something that suits my needs, the PS4 with a Olight i3 would be ideal for me. It's lightweight and easy to carry.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #89 of 96
I used to carry a Res-Q-Me, and Etymotic ER-20 earplugs as well, but they were way too bulky. I just keep the earplugs in my bag and leave the Res-Q-Me at home; though I should put them in the car.

Additionally, I also keep a mini screwdriver that you get with glasses for my glasses, and also a 6-in-1 Utili-key. The latter is barely used as well, but it's easier to grab than the Squirt PS4 haha

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #90 of 96
Got a squirt ES4, or an E4 ... I can't remember at the moment. I use it daily for all my circuit design - great piece of equipment I can't be without.
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_ES4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back