multi-role recomendation
Jan 29, 2010 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrgoodkat

New Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of headphones that are music oriented first, but also plenty capable for the little bit of PC gaming I do. I will mostly be listeing on my PC. All genres of music; classic rock/rock, some metal, hardcore punk, little rap...literally everything. I'm on a Russian classical binge right now..

I realize that best case, owning a pair for each application would be preferable, but it really is not an option given the lack of coin in my pocket these days.

I upgraded from onboard audio to an Auzentech Xfi forte SC last spring (specs), and it really got me back into music. Even with my $100 gaming headset (that finally died), I was hearing new things in songs that Ive listened to countless times.

So given that I live in Chicago, I was thinking of going local, with Shure and the SRH440, which is in my general price range of $100. If I ever need repairs, etc, I'm thinking that being close to there shop might be beneficial.

Originally, before my gaming headset died, I was kind of set on the Grado SR60i, however I'm kind of thinking that wont jive with gaming. I was also looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and the many Sennheiser options. All of these have been mentioned in various form threads pertaining to gaming and overall music performance, but with little actual answers.

Although, cheaper the better, I'm able to spend a bit above my price range if worth it.

thanks

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 5
FWIR the AD700 is better, but the A700 has more bass.

Both good phones if ~$100 USD.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Technica ATH-A700 if you want closed, AD700 if you want open.

They're the most commonly-recommended for gaming.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on Shure? Like I said, having them about a half hour away is nice.

The headset I had was made in Denmark, and after it broke, even if they did do repairs, I was looking at $40 to ship it back to them. That is almost half of what I plunked down for them to begin with...live and learn.

Why are the two AT models mentioned above, better than the ATH-M50? I guess I am just confused about what makes a good pair of gaming cans, and how that relates to music performance.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Any Shure owners that could possibly weigh in on either the 440, or even the 840?

I called them and they said that since I live maybe 20 minutes away, a repair could simply be dropped off, which is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back