Multi-Purpose Amp/DAC for HD598 Headphones and Denon D-M39S Microsystem
Dec 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cstriker045

New Head-Fier
I bought the HD598s from the Black Friday sale, and it's my first quality pair of headphones. While they sound great and are a significant upgrade to my old pair of headphones, they seem to be missing something, so I was thinking about buying an AMP/DAC combo in the $100-200 range (preferably $150 and below). However, I also have a Denon D-M39S Microsystem that I think would benefit from a DAC. Is it worth getting a combo unit, and would that even work with the Denon? Or should I get a separate DAC and Amp? I'm running both through my computer

Edit: As I'm typing this, I just realized my computer has an optical out. Do I even need a DAC in that case? Now I'm wondering if upgrading the sound board on my computer and just running an optical to my Denon would be comparable...

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 9
I would assume that as the unit is Denon, it's at least fairly decent when it comes to audio quality (DAC feature).
And as the HD598 are only 50-Ohm, should be fairly easy for the Denon to drive them.

Should not need an add-on sound card (for a digital connection), as the motherboard already has a optical output and the Denon appears to have optical input.

Is the audio setup for music or FPS gaming or movies or other?

Guess you could always try a Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC ($57 + shipping).
Connect the Sabre to the Denon's RCA inputs.

A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card would give you three different options.
Digital, optical from SB-Z to Denon
Analog, SB-Z Front Speaker jack to the Denon's RCA input.
Connect the HD598 to the SB-Z's own built in amplified headphone jack.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Sorry, i'm quite new at this so I definitely got mixed up and didn't realize my Denon had a DAC built-in. I thought I needed one because I noticed when I hook it up with a 3.5mm cable to my computer (old setup) the quality is noticeably worse than when I hooked up my phone to the USB port of the Denon. I haven't tried this yet due to my room setup, but if I hook up my computer to my denon (optical), and then my headphones to my amp it's the same as a DAC/AMP combo?

It's for music and gaming, but mainly music.

Thanks for the quick reply btw, just that post made me realize how naive I am about this subject lol.'

Edit: So I just double-checked, I have the Denon DM38S which doesn't have an optical input, just RCAs, USB, and Aux.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 9
  Sorry, i'm quite new at this so I definitely got mixed up and didn't realize my Denon had a DAC built-in. I thought I needed one because I noticed when I hook it up with a 3.5mm cable to my computer (old setup) the quality is noticeably worse than when I hooked up my phone to the USB port of the Denon. I haven't tried this yet due to my room setup, but if I hook up my computer to my denon (optical), and then my headphones to my amp it's the same as a DAC/AMP combo?

Thanks for the quick reply btw, just that post made me realize how naive I am about this subject lol.

So your a little naive on audio and I'm a Know It All :)

Have to leave for 20 minutes, but will answer more then.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 9

So your a little naive on audio and I'm a Know It All :)

Have to leave for 20 minutes, but will answer more then.

Haha, that's what makes these types of forums awesome, people like you!

Anyways, I did a bit more research. The USB port is type A and only reads folders, so I don't think I can hook up say a USB to Optical converter from my computer to the Denon. So my thinking would be maybe get a headphone DAC like the AQ Dragonfly (i'm sure there's better options) and than let the Denon just act as an amp for my headphones?

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 9
  Sorry, I'm quite new at this so I definitely got mixed up and didn't realize my Denon had a DAC built-in. I thought I needed one because I noticed when I hook it up with a 3.5mm cable to my computer (old setup) the quality is noticeably worse than when I hooked up my phone to the USB port of the Denon. I haven't tried this yet due to my room setup, but if I hook up my computer to my Denon (optical), and then my headphones to my amp it's the same as a DAC/AMP combo?
Thanks for the quick reply btw, just that post made me realize how naive I am about this subject lol.'
Edit: So I just double-checked, I have the Denon DM38S which doesn't have an optical input, just RCAs, USB, and Aux.

Guess you could connect a DAC between the computer and the Denon.
If you wanted to try a low cost but decent DAC, there is the ELE EL-D01, sells for around $15-$20 and ships from China.
Better DAC would be like the Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $57 + shipping ($8?).
Run a long USB cable from the computer to right near the Denon, then a short analog audio cable from the Sabre's 3.5mm stereo jack to the RCA inputs on the Denon
Here is the analog audio cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 9

Guess you could connect a DAC between the computer and the Denon.
If you wanted to try a low cost but decent DAC, there is the ELE EL-D01, sells for around $15-$20 and ships from China.
Better DAC would be like the Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $57 + shipping ($8?).
Run a long USB cable from the computer to right near the Denon, then a short analog audio cable from the Sabre's 3.5mm stereo jack to the RCA inputs on the Denon
Here is the analog audio cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the advice! I think i'll plan to do that. My last question would be just about the DAC, is there a big difference between the Sabre and say a $100-$150 DAC? I don't mind spending a bit more if it means better quality.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the advice! One last question, is there a big difference between the Sabre and a $100-150 DAC? I don't mind spending a bit more money if it'll make a noticable difference.

Edit: Sorry I lied, i'm a bit curious about the difference between a headphone amplifier and a stereo amplifier. I assume headphone amplifiers will sound better with headphones since that's their sole purpose, but what's the actual difference?

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 9
  Thanks for the advice! One last question, is there a big difference between the Sabre and a $100-150 DAC? I don't mind spending a bit more money if it'll make a noticable difference.

Edit: Sorry I lied, i'm a bit curious about the difference between a headphone amplifier and a stereo amplifier. I assume headphone amplifiers will sound better with headphones since that's their sole purpose, but what's the actual difference?

Can't really say what the difference is (audio quality wise) between the Sabre U2 $57 DAC and a $150 DAC.
I'm fairly sure your getting a good value from the $57 DAC and a $150 DAC is not almost three times better then a $57 DAC.
Could be almost no difference.

Really no difference between an amplifier that drives headphones and an amplifier that drives speakers.
Your Denon, like a lot of receivers (like over 95%), use the same amplifier to drive both the speakers and the headphones
You know when you plug headphones into a receiver and the speakers stop working, that because the amplifiers have switched over to driving the headphones.
Speakers use big diaphragms, headphone use small diaphragms, so might be a slight difference on how the power is delivered.

Some of the smaller and higher priced receiver manufacturers will sometimes built in a separate and dedicated headphone amplifier, in the receiver
For every coupe of hundred receivers sold in the world, one might come with a separate headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back