Multi part question regarding recording a concert..
Apr 6, 2003 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the deal. If I have to sell either my body or furnature, Im going to THIS CONCERT. It's not so much the money for the concert I'm worried about, becuase If I fall short, my friend(s) will either buy me a ticket or just lend me the cash (I've got good friends like that).

Here's the thing..I really want to record this event..especially Radiohead, Beck, Blur, Theivery Co. and Tortoise...but I don't have a mic. I'm "planning on" using my Sharp MD MT 90 to record but I need to get my hands on a mic. Now, who here can tell me what the best type of mic to use would be for such an event...

Also, I'm more broke than a parent paying off their kids college loans and here's where I go for broke....And please excuse my form if this is out of line...

Would anyone here be willing to lend me their mic ? I'd be more than happy to let anyone hold some of my stuff, such as my iRiver iMP 350 and my PX 200's. I was going to say my drivers license, but I'll probably be driving that weekend at some point...I'd even let you (whom ever) hold one of my guitars ! I have a 57' Fender Strat re-issue, a PRS custom made model, (missing the bridge though..needs to be worked on) an Epiphone clone, and an Alvarez Acoustic...I know this is a stretch but I'm pretty desperate. Also, this is only if I can't manage to get my hands on one this month somehow...

Sorry to beg. I didn't run out on pride, it ran out on me.....
frown.gif

P.S. As far as credibility goes, only 2 people on this board have met me (Williamgoody and Tweis) but I couldn't say that we've gotten a chance to really get to know each other....so you'd have to take my word for it when I say that I'm an honest and honorable person. (pretty hard to do these days, I know.)

Apr 6, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Ok ok....I'll throw my cat Abby into the mix...you can hold er' hostage
very_evil_smiley.gif

come on now, how can one refuse a cuddley wuddley kittie cat ? She's all white except for this black spot on her head. No claws in the front and is gentle as a ....um....kitten ? By the way, this was all her idea...she really loves Radiohead and Beck, so this is more for HER than it is for me.
rolleyes.gif

(boy, I really am shameless aren't I ?)

Apr 6, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 7
the link doesn't work...but, i wonder if you can rent out a mic from a store? Worth looking into...you would also need a battery box with the roll off feature. Read about recording live shows here: www.soundprofessionals.com

Apr 6, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm...yeah, the web site was actually in progress, so it's probably being updated for content. Last time I was there, link buttons weren't finished so....I'm sure it'll be up soon. Renting one is a good possibility, specially since my friends would most likely contribute to the cause ...thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out that link..thanks.

Hey people...that doesn't mean that I won't refuse borrowing your stuff !
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 7
I mean no offence by this, and it may sound redundant to your ears, but for me it is a formality I suppose. Despite our close-knit community here at Head-Fi, this is still the internet, and I'm sure many of us have learned our lessons in devastating ways (I know I have) that there are very few people one can trust, especially if valuable items are changing hands. One might have honest intentions, but once the item is in your hands, you may decide to keep it, and since there is a greater sense of anonymity on this 'net, it is every-man-for-himself, you know.

Now I realize you are offering collateral, and that is good, but it's just the practice of "borrowing" that may turn someone off. I know you have the best intentions, and would not think of pulling a shorthand trick, but some may not be so trustworthy.

Again, I mean no harm or disrespect, but from my position, that is what it seems like.

Take care,

Trounce

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 7
If you are lucky, maybe some other people will be taping the show as well...if so, perhaps you can get a patch in with them?

Do record such a show correctly (with good results), you would have to invest a lot of money in your recording rig...a patch is much cheaper
biggrin.gif

Look for someone running Scheops or Neumann mics! There are others (AKG, Earthworks, etc), but these are the big hitters, IMO.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey Trounce,

Yeah, I guess I totally understand and agree with that perspective, since I'm such a cynic myself. I really hate not being able to trust people, but that's just the way it has to be "most" of the time. I guess that if I went to a couple of head-fi meets and traded stuff with people for a while, it would be a different story. Still, I think that in a community such as this one, it's more likely that there will be those who DO trade, borrow etc...

I'm a cynic, but i'm also very generous by nature, so it depends on who I'm dealing with. I'd like to think that the world could be a nicer place someday, and I usually treat others as I'd like to be treated so....

Anyway, I don't take offense to your post, I did state in my first post that I was sorry to people if I was stepping over certain boundaries by asking..yet still hoping that there would be people here who are somewhat like me...

As for patching in qutius, I'm gonna be far to concerned with listening to the music rather than bothering someone about that....they might be very uncomfortable with the situation as it's on the spot. Anyway, I went to that site linked below and listened to some samples of a Cranberries concert that was recorded with a sony MZR 900 , an in the ear stereo bi-neural mic and a battery pack. Sounded pretty decent. The pack has a bass roll off knob amongst other things..so I'm gonna try and swing that somehow. If not, then I'm gonna just try a mic at least. And If I can't get a mic, then Im gonna get totally ghetto and and use headphones as a mic !
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back