Multi-IEM amp review challenge
Feb 5, 2011 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

soundbear

100+ Head-Fier
While Joker's divinely inspired multi-iem review is an awesome guide for newcomers I haven't seen an up to date portable amp review that is as clear as ljokerl's review.   I have seen numerous requests for "which amp for this iem?" with many answers, in agreementPerhaps reviewing similar answers and putting the amps with certain IEMS in a chart, similar to the chart at the end of ljokerl's review would be helpful.  I would think that just taking a few popular IEMS from each of ljokerl's tiers and suggesting price comparative amps for each one in a chart would be very helpful.   It also seems that there is general consensus that certain IEMS do not need or respond in a barely noticable manner to an amp, somehow that could be included in the chart as well. Also, some sticky's about amps and IEMS like the ones in ljokerl's review would be helpful. (This could be a challenge for Headphone Addict or some others who collect amps and iems.) 

I realize that with great searching, there is a excellent portable amp roundup by Skylab, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b  but doesn't seem to include the fiio and some of the lesser expensive amps that one would buy if only buying a $50 to $100 IEM.   Nor does it give practical applications to IEMS.

I originally posted this in the portable headphone amp column,  but I think the people who would be interested in this would be reading this forum.  (I understand that I may be asked to remove this by the powers to be and leave it in the amp forum only, and I will do so if requested)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back