Multi-IEM amp review challenge
Feb 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

soundbear

100+ Head-Fier
While Joker's divinely inspired multi-iem review is an awesome guide for newcomers I haven't seen an up to date portable amp review that is as clear as ljokerl's review.   I have seen numerous requests for "which amp for this iem?" with many answers, many answers in agreement.  Perhaps reviewing similar answers and putting the amps with certain IEMS in a chart, similar to the chart at the end of ljokerl's review would be helpful.  I would think that just taking a few popular IEMS from each of ljokerl's tiers and suggesting price comparative amps for each one in a chart would be very helpful.   It also seems that there is general consensus that certain IEMS do not need or respond in a barely noticable manner to an amp, somehow that could be included in the chart as well. Also, some sticky's about amps and IEMS like the ones in ljokerl's review would be helpful. (This could be a challenge for Headphone Addict or some others who collect amps and iems.)

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 5
I got too tired to keep the following thread going:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/338443/synergy-between-portable-amps-and-iems-9-iem-compared-with-9-portable-amps-81-chances-to-mess-up

I also tried the 13 amps in the following thread with many IEM and reported most of my findings:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/306883/updated-2-22-review-13-usb-dac-amp-predator-pico-2-3move-d10-d3-d2-viper-boa-d1-lyrix-microamp-vivid-v1-nuforce-xm5

I covered amp synergy with ES3X, JH13Pro and UE11Pro in this review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440051/review-three-flagship-custom-iem-westone-es3x-vs-jerry-harvey-jh13pro-vs-ultimate-ears-ue11pro

One IEM that is not listed in those reviews above, that I can quickly report on, are the Senn IE8 that I found sounded a bit boomy in the bass - they sounded best with my ALO Amphora, dare I say stunning.  But they didn't sound even close to that with any of my other amps and I didn't like them much with my mobile gear or right out of the iPod jack.  The bass was better controlled by my budget Nuforce Icon Mobile and Vivid V1 than with my better high-end portable amps, but these amps could not match the Amphora with the IE8.  Nor could the budget portables + IE8 match the W3 or UM3X paired with something like the P-51, 3MOVE or D4.  Only with the Amphora did I feel they were worth keeping.

Usually any amp or IEM review that I have done will include a lot of discussion about synergy.  Most of my reviews have the old forum links stored in my profile.  Some of those links need to be cut and pasted into a browser, after the forums changed a couple of times.

One of the things making my new reviews take longer to finish than in the past is the large number of IEM and headphones and amp combos that I have to try out.  It's become so tiresome that I have some reviews that are delayed because I feel compelled to test the review phone with all my amps or DAPs, and that's not as easy as it used to be. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks so much for the response!   Did you get this from the same mountaintop  ljokerl got his divine list? 

It would be interesting to hear your amp take with the latest "hot" IEMS , Sunrise and Fisher.   Some people it seems, including myself, wanted a bit more bass impact from the Xcapes without sacrificing clarity,dynamics and signature,   Similar complaints with the DBA's bass and concern of toning down the highs- many suggestions about changing tips, but amps?

Some have exclaimed the incredible synergy between the no longer made Fisher Mystify and The DBA's while brother Anaxilus, banned and banished to a deserted island hopefully with his DBA's, proclaims the virtues of the Headstage Arrow with both Sunrise and Fisher.  ( The other important factor is amp burn in, for example iBasso recommends 100 hrs for the T3 or any of their amps and they said after that no difference,  while you suggest at least 250hrs)

Also, how would a newcomer who only has a less than $100 determine if a less than $100 amp will do, or should one spend as much or more for the amp than the IEM in hopes of getting more expensive IEMS? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back