multi disc CD transport - any recommendations?
Oct 23, 2007 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
Looking back over past posts, the Sony XXXXX595 five disc cd player has gotten some respect. It is pretty cheap. Anybody use it as a transport and can provide some info? I will be using it with an aging, but good-in-its-day DAC, the Timbre TT-1.

Any other suggestions for a multi-disc transport that will result in good sound?

Thanks

Barry

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 17
I have had a lot of mechanical problems with multi disc CD players. Either the mechanism sticks and klunks around loudly, or the changer scratches the disks. If you want to have a lot of music in jukebox mode, it's a lot better now to do that with an iPod or computer.

See ya
Steve

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 17
I owned a 595 and suggest you don't buy one. Noisy and had issues eating discs, some of which were spat out weeks or months later!

Consider going digital - a PMP or PC will sound as good as many changers on the market.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Assuming you have a PC, rip all your files to your PC using Exact Audio Copy, add an 802.11G capable router, then buy a Squeezebox.
Why limit yourself to 5 or 6 CDs, when you can have all 500 available.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 17
The squeezebox seems like a great idea. Does anybody know how the sound is compared to a pretty good transport?

Thanks

Barry

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 17
You know that there is a search function on this board. (slaps self silly).

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 17
The 5-6 discs units are IMO still pretty good, more than that, those using vertical load is crap IMO, but the 5 discs uses the same trasnport as the single ones, and never scratches any disc, at least not in my almost 15 years using them, they just add the 5 disc capability/mechanism.

My Sony DVP-NC555ES works like a champ and uses exactly the same circuitry as their flagship single one the DVP-NS999ES that cost more than the double...

They are a little loud while exchanging, that is true, but if you stand up from you chair/sofa/bed/recliner, and replace the CD manually, you for sure, will do a lot more noise, and will take more time...

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming you have a PC, rip all your files to your PC using Exact Audio Copy, add an 802.11G capable router, then buy a Squeezebox.
Why limit yourself to 5 or 6 CDs, when you can have all 500 available.

How much time it will take to rip 1500 CDs (or 500) and also, how much more music you can listen a day over the one contained on 5 CD's, unless you do absolutelly nothing else of course, that is in some cases over 6 hours of music or more...

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 17
I can see some validity in both approaches - squeezebox and changer. I have already ripped my CD collection for my ipod, so that pain in the (ahem) is done. But I do see the simplicity of a changer rather than another piece of gadgetry that will be "outmoded" in a year or so. I am not sure which I will choose. Sound quality will have a lot to do with it, not that I can do a comparison.

One thing Sovkiller, it appears that your Sony changer is discontinued (Imagine Sony discontinuing a good product, who would have thought .....) Any ideas for a replacement?

Barry

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing Sovkiller, it appears that your Sony changer is discontinued (Imagine Sony discontinuing a good product, who would have thought .....) Any ideas for a replacement?

Barry

In order to keep a product in the maret, the product has to be profitable, not good or bad...if it is a good seller, it stays, if not, goes to hell...Usually those bradns do not ave too much luck selling the expensive stuff to the mass market who will get a BOSE instead, beleiveing that is superior, that machine was like $500.00, I got it for far less new, but almost at the time to be discontinued. It seems that it is my Karma, my Marantz PM7200 was also discontinued, the replacement is not even Class A, so go and figure.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much time it will take to rip 1500 CDs (or 500) and also, how much more music you can listen a day over the one contained on 5 CD's, unless you do absolutelly nothing else of course, that is in some cases over 6 hours of music or more...

It took me roughly 6 weeks as a background task to cut 500 CDs.
The functional benefits were huge. Most music lovers I know end up focused on a fairly small percentage of their collection. Having the whole collection available without having to mess around changing disks is ace. For one thing, "random" takes on a whole new meaning when you have 6000 tracks to run across. So a typical listening evening might begin within a straight random, often throwing up tracks I've not heard in a decade, then when you spot a path of music you fancy listening to, it's dead easy. It really is a complete change to how to listen to music.

Ref the sound quality, I'm told that a standard Squeezebox3 is about on par with a similarly priced standalone CDP. I don't own one, so can't comment. The unit I bought is pretty much a Squeezebox3 on steroids, and is on par with the old modded Meridian 500 transport that I used to use. The implications being that it sounds pretty damn good too.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 17
I've owned a vertical-loaded, 200 CD changer -- the cheapest one Sony ever made -- for nearly 10 years, and it's never given me any problems (except the time my 18 month old daughter got into it, scattered all the CDs all over the floor, and then tried to stuff them all back in). I've read of people having problems with these machines, but I haven't experienced any myself, and I bought the floor model from a local Good Guys.

I've had a Sony SCD-CE595 for a little over a year now, and it hasn't given me any problems either. I've nosed around inside a bit, and there's nothing about the carousel that would cause any sonic issues...the CD is lifted off the carousel for playing by a magnetic clamp. I use the analog outs for SACD and the digital out into a DAC for redbook, and have no complaints about the sound. There are more variables in a PC audio system.

For what you can get a refurbished 595 for these days, you could almost buy 5 of them for the price of a single Squeezebox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back