mullard tube expert help
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Youthanasia

Head-Fier
anyone shed some light on this tube other that it is a cv4003 12au7 mullard. Year ?

000-403
cv4003
kqdd/k
84-44

r4f1

appreciated

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 18
thanks, are these tubes the same as those of the 60' ies, sound quality wise?
I'm currently not liking it. Is there any point in getting one of the sixties version?

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 18
I don't know... no soundspace, boring, not very clear, bass not as good I wished for and I like bass. I like the RCA clear top better with my amp. I thought I was going to like this better..

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 18
I've always known for Mullards to err on the warm side of things but they certainly should have plenty of sound stage. I'd say look for something from Amperex or Telefunken within your budget or try an earlier vintage Mullard. All three are known to be warm and welcoming.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjergji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have on way an Amperex Bugle Boy, I'll see how it sounds... Disappointed by this cv4003..
Anyone has a vintage cv4003 for sale?

Based on what you are saying you will like the Amperex. It is a little smoother than the cleartop and more holographic and it wont make your tube amp sound like a solid state amp like the cleartop can. The Amperex is very balanced and should not color the sound in any way (good or bad) like the Mullard or a standard RCA will. I don't have a clue what year your Mullard was made but I know its a box plate tube and will sound different than a ribbed plate or long plate version. The long plates are mucho dinero and because of that I have not tried one yet but I have the ribbed plate in my amp now and it is my current favorite, I like the Amperex but it does not add enough weight to the bass department for my liking, it is not as musical or fun than the Mullard ribbed I have. The Mullards seem to have a magic midrange that the others cant seem to duplicate, and once you have listened to those magic mids it is damn hard to go back to anything else. This doesn't mean you will feel the same way but I think there is a much better chance of making good purchases if people share sonic qualities when talking tubes.
wink.gif

BTW, if it were me I would try a Mullard of a different construction rather than go for another CV4003, your liable to find out the hard way they sound alike regardless of vintage. Try a standard ribbed (short plate) version.

Latin to me: http://www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

Im under the impression that if your Mullard was not made at the Blackburn factory in England then its not considered a true "Mullard", or one of the Mullards worth having.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 18
This was made at the Mitcham plant whereas alot of the earlier Mullards seen tend heve been made at Blackburn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back