Mullard M8161 for LD MK III
Sep 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lapwing

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I love my Little Dot MK III, it really makes my Senn 650s sing beautifully. I'm a tinkerer at heart so naturally I want to get into some tube rolling. I read through the MK III tube rolling thread (well, at least parts of the 100+ pages) and someone had mentioned the Mullard M8161 was a great option for the MK III. Does anyone here have much experience with these tubes? Could you comment on how the sound would improve over the stock tubes? With the stock tubes I have to turn the gain all the way up to about the 3 O'clock position for classical music, will the M8161 provide me with a bit more gain? Any other recommendations are appreciated too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
-Lapwing

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Lapwing

I hear they are great tubes for the LD. I have some on the way for my I+ when it arrives and my MKIVSE. In reference to the volume at 3 o'clock, that is a bit far IMO. I'm not familiar with the MKIII, but does it have a gain switch for high impedance phones? On my SE if I put the volume at 3 o'clock with my HD650s, I'll send my eardrums to my neighbor's yard...

I am finding out that rolling the SE (same tube complement, I believe, as the MKIII) is a very pleasant experience...I thought the EF92, EF95 and all their families had a limited selection, however, upon some research, I have found a great selection. I also notice, that different brands of 6AK5, for example, also have an impact...For the EF95/6AK5/M8100/403A/B....family, so far the Tung Sols 6AK5W are a slight winner. But not by much...I also got a hold of some 6096 that were really good...

Jes

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Yep. Sounds like your gain needs to be adjusted. There are two tiny red switches on the bottom of your amp that have two positions each.

I'm not familiar with the impedance of the HD650s, but I would guess you need to turn the gain to 10, so flick the switches to off on both red switches. And then turn down the volume knob before you turn your amp back on.

If that doesn't work, you are probably deaf.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 14
Yup, I have both gain switches in the off position which in accordance with the MK III manual is for high impedance headphones, level 10, (HD-650 is 300ohm, relatively high)... maybe I'm going deaf from all the rock shows! anyways, would the M8161 tubes provide a bit more gain with the MK III plus better SQ?

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mallethead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to FLAC files do you have your PC/Laptop output setting at max?

My source is a X-Fi card, Windows volume set at 80, Foobar2000 set at max... With most music the 3 0'clock gain is plenty loud, but with certain classical passages I'd like a bit more..

Would the Mullard tubes provide a bit more gain over the stock tubes?
How do the Mullard M8161 sound in comparison to the stocks?

-Thanks,
Lap

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 14
I think everyone is just appalled that you use a 3 o'clock position!

I didn't notice much gain when switching tubes -- if it's 3 o'clock now, it'll be 3 o'clock later. The clarity of the M8161 is much better than stock tubes though.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 14
x4 on the 3 o'clock. Get thee to an audiologist!

Heatfan, quick off topic question: of the four DACs in your signature, which do you like best? Big difference among any of them?

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Yikes, well I hope it's not my hearing diminishing!

The MKIII at the 12 O'clock gain setting is plenty loud for all of my rock, jazz, electronic and vocal music... maybe it's just the mastering of my classical music, but with my Chopin and Tchaikovsky I crank it to 3 O'clock... Hmm, I'll have to get a friend to listen to it at these levels.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 14
just got m8161s in my mk3. SOunds better new than the stock with 100+hours. It's liquid and tubey, like the amp should have been from the start, also I can hear deeper into the mix and the clarity is much better and the highs are silkier, the bass is tighter and no longer floppy. Cool upgrade IMO. Also they're not as "bright" as the stock tubes, and sound fuller. Hmmmm I think these should be the stock tubes that come with the amp.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Just popped in the M8181's into my MKII. Damn! These tubes are fantastic. Agreed that brand new they sound better than stock. Bass tone is for me the easiest way to hear increased resolution from an amp. Listening to Christian McBride I can hear much more in the tone of his playing. Highly recommended.

What power tubes would you guys recommend to compliment the 8161's? Am I correct that I don't need special power tubes now that I am running EF92?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back