MuFi Tri-Vista DAC?
Sep 27, 2005 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shplorgh

Headphoneus Supremus
Well "Pinkie" is on the way, and I've narrowed down my can choice to either HP-2's or PS-1's (probably HP-2's but I dunno yet), and I need a DAC. I've read some nice reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC, and it actually seems pretty good for my setup. But I haven't really heard any opinions of it here, other than that of the Tri-Vista SACD player, which uses a similar DAC. What do you guys think?

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Well "Pinkie" is on the way, and I've narrowed down my can choice to either HP-2's or PS-1's (probably HP-2's but I dunno yet), and I need a DAC. I've read some nice reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC, and it actually seems pretty good for my setup. But I haven't really heard any opinions of it here, other than that of the Tri-Vista SACD player, which uses a similar DAC. What do you guys think?

The Tri-Vista DAC21 is a pretty good DAC but it was a limited run when it was released. I am not sure if they are still available.

If you do in fact like the MF DAC sound, you can do better for less money by buying the new X-DAC v3 which uses a DAC that is 2 generations newer than the Tri-Vista, pair it up with the X-PSU v3 and the X-10 v3 Tube Output Buffer and you will have the same setup as the Tri-Vista but with an updated DAC and isolated boxes for power, output buffer and psu.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

I'll admit to a bit of vested interest here as I own a Tri-Vista dac so bear that in mind.

I have not heard the newer MF kit so it may well be superior to the Tri-Vista but it will be more expensive as you might struggle to find the newer kit used (the Tri-Vista can only be bought used now). The fact that the newer gear is 2 generations newer does not guarantee it will be superior. The Tri-Vista dac was at the top of the MF product line, 2 levels (I think) above the X-Ray dac, it has choke regulation of the power supply and was called an improved version of the Tr-Vista SACD player by MF themselves. The Tri-Vista may still be the better unit.

Newer digital kit often sounds better than older stuff as the technology is still maturing but here is an example to think about. One of the most highly regarded dacs on the market regardless of price is made by Zanden and costs $10000; it uses old stock 16 bit dac chips as opposed to the 24 bit chips of most modern kit but I have never heard a bad word about it.

Listen to the kit if you can and then decide (and if the new MF gear is better let me know ASAP!).

Cheers,

Col

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 11
I've heard the tri Vista DAC alot and think its good. For the used price of around $1-1.5K its a very good buy. a nice, full, powerful sound that is easy to listen to for long periods of time. Not the last word in detail but very good. Very well made, and good looking too.
icon10.gif
(no balanced outputs if you need them though) Good Luck!

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 11
All interesting comments as I was considering a MF DAC myself.
I've lost a bit of interest in my computer based rig as I'm quite happy w/ my now somewhat old Meridians. I may still go w/ a couple of lower end (ie micro dac) dacs for my iTunes, compressed file use.
CPW

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 11
I thought I would post my opinion here because I think I'm one of the few people in these forums that has owned the so-called MF "triple threat", that is, the X-PSU, X-DAC, X-10 V3 and even the X-CAN V3. These were the first audiophile-type products that I had ever owned, and while I was satisfied with them for a while I found that I wasn't satisfied with the MF house sound. I bought into the whole "separate box" idea that they're pushing with the mini-X series (look at their stuff on Musicdirect, it is advertised very well) but when I really thought about it I kind of felt that I had been duped by those shiny silver casings and such. I also found it kind of weird that I found so many of the X-series V3 products for sale on Audiogon and eBay. Granted, I was listening to all this gear through the X-Can V3 to my HD650's, which I think were not really up to driving them (but I wouldn't have thought that after reading all these reviews about the X-Can having slamming bass and really driving the HD650's well) so that must be taken into account. Perhaps I would have really liked the X-DAC/X-PSU/X-10 going through my Singlepower, but I didn't have the patience or funds to find out. In any case, my best advice to anyone interested in the X-DAC and that whole setup is to audition it and then decide for yourself. All I want to say is that I wasn't satisfied with the X-series and that I think there are probably better products out there for the money...

Oct 5, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 11
I think there are some very good points that were brought up in this thread.

The MF has a very distinctive house sound. You have to like it or you will be better off with something else. The Tri-Vista DAC is good for its price but it is far from the best unless you appreciate the MF sonic signature. I personally love it. I have the older A3 24 DAC and the Tri-Vista DAC 21.

I agree that a newer generation DAC may not be better than an older one, it can really go both ways depending on implementation.

At the end of the day, it is what you like that matters and you will only know if you spend some time auditioning it.

Oct 6, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 11
My Tri-Vista finally shipped today
biggrin.gif
I'll give it 100 hours to burn in then post some impressions compared to the A324.

In my opinion, DAC generation means nothing. The A324 and Tri-Vista are top products and as such are good for the cost. The X-DACv3 even paired with its dinky power supply and tube buffer are bottom of the line products. They were never intended to compete favourably with the kW series, nor do they, which is what the Tri-Vista family spawned.

Now if we were comparing Tri-Vista to kW then DAC generation would matter since we'd be looking at apples to apples.

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 11
I've had this dac for over a year now. It really is a nice dac and I've been very happy with it. It is capable of putting out a very nice sound, and you can pick them up for a good price second hand these days.

I find the dac to be quite a neutral one, its not overtly warm in the same way as the nuvistas and most other tubey products, but is certainly more so than, say the benchmark dac 1. Its quite a powerful and punchy sounding dac, and well extended at both ends, albeit with still a slight emphasis on the midrange (just what I like, really). Because the sound is very 'middle road', its not the sort of dac which really 'grabs' you at first, it more grows on you over the first few weeks of ownership, you start to notice little things, like how nicely instruments decay etc. It plays all music well, but its' strengths really come into their own with classical and minimalist instrumental music.

A few things I've noticed about the dac:

It likes to be left on. It starts sounding good when the feet turn blue, but the longer it is left on (particularly with a signal running through it) the better it sounds. I tend to leave it on all weekend (which is when I get a chance to listen to it more often)

The blue leds on the front can get quite annoying. They are far too bright, and if there is no cd in the drive they flash incessantly at you. Need to open it up one day and throw some resistors in there or something.

It really likes to be fed a good source. Don't believe the hype that this will sound brilliant with any old cheap dvd transport feeding it..it won't (well, it well sound better, but no where near its potential). It sounds brilliant being fed from my laptop via iTunes-aiportXpress-optical cable though. The highs become sweet and smoooth, and overall everything becomes less harsh and fatiguing.

It puts out plently enough power to run my HD580s directly from the lineout, using iTunes to control the volume. Sounds pretty damn good too! (not that I do it often)

Its neutral enough that you can flavour the sound any way you wish further down the chain. By switching tubes in my amp I can make it sound sloppy and wet, or warm and dry.

I have a really nice TT setup (scheu Premier Mk2) and when switching from the TT to the dac I'm not really left dissapointed. In fact, i like having both options - they really complement each other

hope this helps!

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drminky
It puts out plently enough power to run my HD580s directly from the lineout, using iTunes to control the volume. Sounds pretty damn good too!

The A324 makes a pretty good amp too
biggrin.gif
As good as the HeadAmp Lite, though not quite the Reference. With a PC source an external amp is really nothing more than an attenuator for the most part. Still pretty nice to not have to adjust the trim pot in PatchMix every other song though
wink.gif

The Tri-Vista 21 is rated at 5W output. Maybe I should mod mine to have a DACT between the DAC and the tubes
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back