much hate about bose?
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 26
When I was Christmas shopping I walked by one of their stores in a mall, and was tempted to go in and troll, but I'm not a dick.  I've listened to the Tri-Ports, QC-15, and some of their portable home setups.  They aren't awful, but you can do a whole lot better for the money.  One of their slogans is "better sound through research," which annoys me because their strongest features are their comfort and noise cancellation, not their sound quality. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
When I was Christmas shopping I walked by one of their stores in a mall, and was tempted to go in and troll, but I'm not a dick.  I've listened to the Tri-Ports, QC-15, and some of their portable home setups.  They aren't awful, but you can do a whole lot better for the money.  One of their slogans is "better sound through research," which annoys me because their strongest features are their comfort and noise cancellation, not their sound quality. 

yeah they do have really good noise cancellation, the noise cancellation is far better than my sennheiser

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 26
how to explain bose..... their speakers are ridiculous for the price, and sometime don't even look that cool. most of the time it is a life style brand rather than a true high-end audio one. what about their headphones, well, just like alot of people had mentioned, the AEs are not bad, but not for the price. The QCs are, well, interesting, since it is one of the best or the best ANC phones out there, other brand just don't get it quite like bose. But, a big big but, ANC=sub par audio quality, no matter how you look at it, and personally, I rather have my IEM than those QCs in noisy conditions. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 26
The hate of Bose is misguided and poorly thought out due to their poor home theater products and shiester marketing.  The AE2 and OE2 are unbeatable at their price for their comfort, portability and reliability.  The sound is more like a $100 pair of headphones instead of $150; but not all of us want to lug HD280 or ATH-M50 around in their bag, right?  The Bose hate here is quite misguided and I find it quite laughable because these people really don't know what their talking about, who hate Bose.  I'm working on setting up a double blind test at my university to prove my findings, and my university is full of music and RTVF majors who should know good audio, so I should get reliable results.  But when I post my findings I'll find "NO GUYS BOSE SUCK BECAUSE I'M AN AUDIO ENGINEER PART TIME"

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
btw, what do you think is the weakness of bose sound?

If you ask me, their stuff mostly sounds a little muddy and artificial, with no real strengths.  They don't sound outright bad, and are actually quite decent for the most part, but they tend to charge at least 50%-100% more than they're really worth.

That said, a lot of "respected" companies around here do that to and don't get any hate at all - a lot of Bose's hate is simply due to the brand name, I guess.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #22 of 26
Cannot imagine a situation where I would buy Bose headphones, but Ive always been a huge fan of their direct reflecting shelf speakers.

My father just got one of those wave radios, and I'm totally blown away by that. Size/sound ratio is unreal.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #23 of 26
I actually currently use the Around-Ear II 2's as my nighttime headphones for desktop computer use. Yeah, it's Bose, I know, but I've yet to find another pair of closed around ears as light and comfortable as the AE2 (If Bose indeed does any actualy research, most of it is in probably the comfort department...). I only bought it as the best balance of isolation/comfort was a top priority for me in headphones for casual computer use.

Are they good for music? hell no, I've got plenty of other headphones for that. They do fine for podcasts, youtube videos and such, but for music they just sound "weird". While I do think that there's been some improvements in overall clarity from the AE1's, they still got those metallic sounding synthetic highs, a weird boost then dip in the mids that I can't quite point out, and bass that does extend but has no presence in the midbass range. You could honestly do so much better at the same price range if sound quality is the utmost priority. But hey, that's not the reason why I got them and I did get 'em $60 preowned...
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
The hate of Bose is misguided and poorly thought out due to their poor home theater products and shiester marketing.  The AE2 and OE2 are unbeatable at their price for their comfort, portability and reliability.  The sound is more like a $100 pair of headphones instead of $150; but not all of us want to lug HD280 or ATH-M50 around in their bag, right?  The Bose hate here is quite misguided and I find it quite laughable because these people really don't know what their talking about, who hate Bose.  I'm working on setting up a double blind test at my university to prove my findings, and my university is full of music and RTVF majors who should know good audio, so I should get reliable results.  But when I post my findings I'll find "NO GUYS BOSE SUCK BECAUSE I'M AN AUDIO ENGINEER PART TIME"

ill be very interested in the blind test :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 26
While I haven't heard much of Bose headphones, except the QC15 which I was impressed with the ANC but disgusted by the SQ. It was very dark, not the slightest bit of detail, boomy bass, recessed mids and no highs at all. It's like listening to music in a small closet.
I do have their home theater setup. Don't flame me, it wasn't my choice, it was already there and I don't want to spend anymore money on Paradigm speakers and the lot. I wasn't impressed by it but I can see why people love so much their home theater setup. It sounds so artificial and coloured to my ears. Very bad for listening to music but okay-ish for Michael Bay genres of films where only explosions fill the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back