MTA Strike in NYC.
Dec 21, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 44
Mr.Slacker:

You seem to want to completely ignore the problem here. While everybody else is losing huge bundles of cash and their lives are becoming a living hell, you seem to only care about missing school - of all things! You will get off for the holidays in, what, three days? Who the hell cares about my work? I don't quite understand the question, nor the context... however, if the MTA workers had any souls, THEY should care - along with caring for the other millions of people who were directly affected by this issue. And before you go criticizing peoples' education choices, I am not studying music at NYU, but instead am enrolled in a VERY exclusive department with under 100 kids in it a year, that I could only make AFTER going to MIT for two years to prove my academic abilities. Only the best can make it to where I am -- and I will not be humble about it, especially when we have uneducated (mostly) dopes working at the ticket stations, making pretty nice wages, who decide out of nowhere they should be treated like royalty and screw us all over!

immtbiker:

-Why do you say that their jobs are admittedly crappy. Because they ARE. The majority of the workers who are on strike are those that would have worked the ticket booths, making anouncements, and cleaning the stations. They were not higher-ups or people with any kind of true management positions.

-Why do you say that if they wanted that if they wanted security, they should have gone to college. How do you know that some TWU employees didn't go to college. And a college education doesn't offer anymore security than a union job. I feel that union jobs offer more security, than many people who go through multiple years of college and then can't get a job. Believe me... an educated college graduate will not be working as a TWU employee as a full-time job. You'd have to be crazy or stupid - or both. It looks like more political-correctness ******** has once again made it through to this topic. Truly sad.

-Why are you stereotyping by calling people "low end MTA employees" Because that is how I decided to describe floor sweepers and ticket punchers that work for the TWU. They work low-end jobs at MTA.

Quote:

...and most importantly, why do most of your posts have so much anger in them. This is a friendly community, and you seem to be almost always pissed off, so I don't think that the 30th will be a different day in your life than any other.

Anger? Well, this could be expected when you have been royally screwed over by these low-lifed morons who took the strike. I was unable to get to any of my classes today due to this strike, and I have very important things to do which I would rather not discuss in detail. The point is that I have very important work to do, which concerns both my livelihood and my education, that have been severely mishapen because of the inaccessible subways. Saying that all my posts have anger in them is most likely an exaggeration. But even if this wasn't the case, I find it incredible how you are able to tell about somebody else's personality by merely reading their posts on a headphone message board. I am a passionate person - I also happen to post a lot of really HAPPY and POSITIVE things, when the mood is proper. It goes both ways. Hell, do you think I'd have any friends if I acted like how you describe in real life? Almost certainly not.

hungrych:

No, I am not arrogant. I see facts and reality, and then react based off of those feelings, instead of what the norm does - reacting before thinking. Do you REALIZE the situation we're being faced with? New Yorkers understand that this is a tough thing we're up against, and that it will take a lot of struggle and sacrifice in order to return back to normal. The effects of this strike will be pretty devastating, even though most people won't be able to see it. I reflect upon this reality first, and THEN show my feelings. You people jump to conclusions and react against anything slightly politically-incorrect, or anything demonstrated in that kind of a tone, and then route your uncaring words to others who truly have a grip on the issue. As some philosopher said, "It is gravely important to find both the faults in Gandhi and the strengths in Hitler." Otherwise, your perception of things will be clouded. Realizing that the MTA workers have such an important job, I find these acts of strike to be an insult against everybody. If they didn't want a job serving the public on such a large scale level, they SHOULD NOT have chosen a job with the TWU. End of discussion!

And yes, I am above these people. I haved worked my ass off for countless years to get where I am, and I will most likely end up being a much more successful individual on many counts than the strikers at MTA. Sure, there's acception to every statement out there, but in my current position, it's hard to even give an example where my overly egotistical statements can be proven incorrect. Should anybody care about my job? No, because I will almost definitely never end up working in a field where peoples livelihoods, jobs, or health, will depend on me. I will probably work in a much different field, one where there's a lot more money. The people who work at MTA, on the other hand, are REQUIRED by New Yorkers in order to function properly. EVERYBODY must care about their jobs. This is why I am so completely outraged by the strike - it is simply insulting on so many levels.

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #32 of 44
Aman, I mean this only in the nicest way, and someone gave this to me when I started flaming here a few days ago. It really works, it's not a placebo!
chillpill.jpg

Let's all get along, ok? Happy Holidays!
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #34 of 44
I have one thing to say. I make over 100k, have two kids, a mortgage, and I am barely getting by. I am NOT a union member. I can be fired at any time if I piss off my boss. I know most of the other straphangers probably make less and so I say ****** the union. All of them. Unions had their place once in history, but I find very little evidence that they are needed in today's society. IMHO, privatize the MTA. ****** Kalikow. Only once it is a private enterprise will we NY'ers see the service we deserve on a regular basis.

Now I am going to bed because I have to get up at 4am.

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #35 of 44
Oh my.

A lot of people are saying 50k is a good salary per year for these workers, but isn't the cost of living in NYC extremely high?

Further, the fact that the entire city of New York is totally crippled without these people working just validifies their purpose and worth. So any sort of argument posed that these people are "below" anyone else, etc. etc. is crazy.

If they really were "good-for-nothing" you wouldn't even realize they were gone come strike time.

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
No.

Don't worry bout him, most everything he writes is about how everyone else is below him/how great he is for some reason or another. You just learn to ignore, and to enjoy chocolate pretzels.

Anyways, I wonder what would happen if this happened in say Boston. I'm positive some rioting/rampaging would ensue, even if just minor. Also, 50k is nothing if you have a family and live in a major metro area, seriously. We did a breakdown thingy in class, and 50k imay not even be enough if you try cover the essentials. (taxes, heat, gas, food, rent, etc).

Also, has anyone seen the walmart film they show new employees, about how union guys to get you to join? Freakin' hilarious. Almost as funny as the anti-shoplifting one . . . I never knew stealing a tire could be so easy.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Eww, chocolate pretzels are gross!
tongue.gif

You sir, are beneath me.
biggrin.gif
Just kidding. Chocolate pretzels rule!!!!!

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
Oh my.

A lot of people are saying 50k is a good salary per year for these workers, but isn't the cost of living in NYC extremely high?

Further, the fact that the entire city of New York is totally crippled without these people working just validifies their purpose and worth. So any sort of argument posed that these people are "below" anyone else, etc. etc. is crazy.

If they really were "good-for-nothing" you wouldn't even realize they were gone come strike time.

These union workers are PUBLIC SERVANTS. Their job is to serve the public. These individuals move a lever on a train, or push a broom. Most of the subway stations I have been in are dirty so I can't really say they do a good job. And most of the trains run slow due to antiquated signal systems. Broom pushers PENSION BENEFITS are the reason fares are $2 and the MTA will run a deficit next year. No one seems to realize the only reason the MTA has a surplus this year is due to a real estate transaction. The MTA should pay off some off the damn debt Pataki refused to retire when he had the chance and the money. Instead he ******** the city by rolling over the debt.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #42 of 44
I suppose since all of you like to make general statements about people... would somebody care to show me how right they are? How's about showing the 'angry' to 'normal' ratio of my posts? If I look in the "More Posts by Aman" feature of the boards, I find that very few of my other visible posts are anywhere near your description.

Until then, I stand firmly with both feet. I will continue to reject the personality that all of you seem to want to enforce - just like any group, this one also symbolizes the general population - being told what to think and how to respond to things. Did you ever consider the fact that sometimes a 'radical' may be right? As Emerson says... "To be great is to be misunderstood".

If you guys want to be wishy-washy and unoffensive to all, that's your choice - but don't tell me what to think. Or maybe a few of you should read Self Discipline, or any other number of transcendental books, and learn how to break free of society's restrictions. Appears a few of you here could carry through that with some success!
rolleyes.gif

Mr.Slacker: Grow up. It will take more than sarcastic tone and a photoshopped image with curse words in it to make me think any differently. In fact, your responses only further restate my points. Getting a realistic grip on life will help you better think for yourself. Then you can be concerned about real issues, instead of what days you will have off from school.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #43 of 44
aman, being direct with your words is one thing, but you have a real tendency of thinking less of others. I recall quite a few of your posts where you act very snobby, and if people were to look up your posts (as well as those made my members who replied to you) that you do have a history of being, well, you know . . . It's pretty hard to miss. We just want to get along with you, but if we're not even seen as equals most the time, how can we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back