mSeed / hornet / sr71?
Jun 25, 2007 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

dusk

100+ Head-Fier
mSeed / hornet / sr71?

getting an iMod 5.5g for primary source. Need something for work, home, and the travel in between. I have a big bag, so size of the amp isn't important.

Headphones include k81dj, dt880s, and soon be joined by darth v3s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check Skylab's review here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216903. But I don't really see how you can compare the mSEED to RSA given the fact that the mSEED is less than half the price.

price has nothing to do with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 27
XIN Reference, SR-71, Hornet ect.........

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
price has nothing to do with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well generally a 350$ amp is going to outperform a 150$ amp
wink.gif

Skylab's ranking
1. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2
2. RSA SR71
3. RSA The Hornet “M”
4. Xenos 1HA-EPC
5. RSA Tomahawk
6. Meier Audio Porta Corda III
6. Xin SuperMicro IV
7. Headamp AE-1
8. Portaphile V2^2
9. Storm B-4
10. mSeed Spirit
11. iBasso P-1
12. C&C XO
13. Practical Devices XM4
14. Go-Vibe 6
15. Xtra X-1 Pro
16. Xenos 0HA-REP
16. iBasso T1
17. Xtra X-1
18. C&C Box V2
19. Little Dot Micro+

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 27
Although being a great review, Skylab's evaluations do not seem to reflect any "after-burn-in" improvement, don't they?

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by toopeach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although being a great review, Skylab's evaluations do not seem to reflect any "after-burn-in" improvement, don't they?

his evaluation is set after the changing stages are over, i believe.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Lately I have been spending most of my time with portable amps and to me the top are:

1. Supermicro IV
2. LaRocco PRII Mk II
3. SR71
4. TTVJ Millet Portable tied with The Hornet "M"
6. Porta Corda MkIII tied with the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed w/ Black Gate and LT1210
8. Tomahawk tied w/ Xenos 1HA-EPC

Any of the above amps would make the user happy. Some have advantages like size, multiple power sources, or multiple type of imputs.

The TTVJ Millet and the Hornet "M" sound quite differently but in the right context/music are rated the same. The Xenos drawback is its size, if mostly for home this would be a top contender due to its price. The Portaphile's limitation is its battery life, however if used at home with a wall wart it would also be a top contender.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I have been spending most of my time with portable amps and to me the top are:

1. Supermicro IV
2. LaRocco PRII Mk II
3. SR71
6. Porta Corda MkIII tied with the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed w/ Black Gate and LT1210

Any of the above amps would make the user happy. Some have advantages like size, multiple power sources, or multiple type of imputs.

The TTVJ Millet and the Hornet "M" sound quite differently but in the right context/music are rated the same. The Xenos drawback is its size, if mostly for home this would be a top contender due to its price. The Portaphile's limitation is its battery life, however if used at home with a wall wart it would also be a top contender.

Where is the Xin Reference in the list?

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

1. Supermicro IV
2. LaRocco PRII Mk II
3. SR71

Exactly how I would rank it as well. Honestly I have not listened to LaRocco PRII Mk II, SR-71, TTVJ Millet or a Corda - BUT I did compared Xin SuperMicro-IV with RSA Tomahawk a little while ago - and until today I am convinced Xin SuperMicro-IV is waay superior than any other amp that I have ever listened to.

In fact my "virtual ranking" would be as follows:

1. Xin SuperMicro-IV (04/11)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
ALL other portable amps

Ok bring on the flames....
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 27
No doubt the Spirit is a great value in portable headphone amps - delivers a lot of amp for the money.

With portable amps, however, I think features play into the equation some in addition to just sound quality. You have to decide how you'll use the amp. I think the SR71 sounds noticeably better than the Spirit. But it's also quite a bit bigger, and has no more features than the Spirit.

On the other hand the Meier PCIII and now Move sound great, and have crossfeed, and a built in USB DAC. And the Xin SuperMacro has crossfeed, bass boost, as well as adjustable gain and impedance setting, and a battery charging circuit! If good sound and ultra-tiny and long battery life are key, the RSA Tomahawk and Xin Supermicro are tough to beat. But with Xin amps, you also have to factor in the very long wait time.

Complex decision making process, with portable amps. LOTS of choices with lots of options.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

1. Supermicro IV
2. LaRocco PRII Mk II
3. SR71

Just curious what opamp combos you are using with the supermini and PRII and with which cans? Also do you find the supermini to best the more expensive amps in Xin's line-up for SQ alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back