MSB Reference Headphone Amp Review or Impressions?
May 9, 2020 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RHMMMM

100+ Head-Fier
There is a thread here about the Select electrostatic amp, but it’s hard to find any info or reviews on the Reference amp for dynamic headphones.

I’m upgrading my Premier DAC to a Reference and am curious about the matching headphone amp. Any info appreciated, thanks!

May 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 16
There is a thread here about the Select electrostatic amp, but it’s hard to find any info or reviews on the Reference amp for dynamic headphones.

I’m upgrading my Premier DAC to a Reference and am curious about the matching headphone amp. Any info appreciated, thanks!
There is better amps for HP use for much less. The Formula S + Powerman for example. Way better for headphone use.
The MSB Electrostatic amplifier is way overpriced for the performance and parts used in it. There was a big discussion on the other forum about that. The BHSE for example for electrostatics, better sound for 1/5th cost.

My advice to break out of the brand mindset, listen to more amps and you will get more performance for less money.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 16
There is better amps for HP use for much less. The Formula S + Powerman for example. Way better for headphone use.
The MSB Electrostatic amplifier is way overpriced for the performance and parts used in it. There was a big discussion on the other forum about that. The BHSE for example for electrostatics, better sound for 1/5th cost.

My advice to break out of the brand mindset, listen to more amps and you will get more performance for less money.

Thanks! To be clear, I’m referring to the Reference amp which is not for electrostatics. Their Select amp is the model for Stax.

I’m looking for a good dynamic amp. If there are others, could you list a few recommendations, please? Sounds like I should look at the Formula you mentioned. How about the latest DNA amp? Any others?
Thanks!

May 10, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks! To be clear, I’m referring to the Reference amp which is not for electrostatics. Their Select amp is the model for Stax.

I’m looking for a good dynamic amp. If there are others, could you list a few recommendations, please? Sounds like I should look at the Formula you mentioned. How about the latest DNA amp? Any others?
Thanks!
There is no best HP amp.

It need synergy between HP and Hp amp.

May 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 16
For solid state I would recommend the Formula S and Powerman. It sounds superb with the Utopia, and has plenty of power on tab should you change to less efficient headphones later such as the Abyss or Susvara for example.

For tubed amps there is the Woo Audio WA33, DNA models, Riviera. But the ultimate headphone amplifier that beats all others to my ears is the Aries Cerat Genus. It is a SET (Single Ended Triode) integrated with 25W and a true headphone output directly off the output transformers. The Utopia, Abyss, LCD4, Susvara, Grados, they sound superb out of this amplifier, really top of the tree. Tons of detail, that incredible SET tube midrange that you cannot get with solid state, and huge dynamics thanks to the big bottle Kron 845 tubes it uses.

Genus-LCD4-night-web.jpg

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Anyone actually hear the msb reference head amp ?

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 16
Jul 5, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 16
He sells that Ares amp, so take his recommendation with a grain of salt
True. This was also before he was an MOT.

This member Julian, was a trusted person.

I don't recall why he was banned but I'm leaning towards shilling.

A shame.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks! Would you mind recommending a few high end amps for me? I am using Utopias.
I am getting Utopia tonight and Viva Egoista 845 tube SET amp later this week. I can compare it for you with dCS Bartók's solid state integrated amplifier. Unfortunately, won't be able to comment on other amplifiers, as it is quite difficult to get them on loan here.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 16
I am getting Utopia tonight and Viva Egoista 845 tube SET amp later this week. I can compare it for you with dCS Bartók's solid state integrated amplifier. Unfortunately, won't be able to comment on other amplifiers, as it is quite difficult to get them on loan here.

That should be a pretty epic face off. Will you use bartok as dac in both cases?

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 16
Yes, Bartok is my only DAC, and I also use its solid state amp (2.8W into 66 Ohm) while awaiting Viva.
I predict the viva + bartok combo will beat bartok alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back