MS2i with comfy pad of MS1i
Oct 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't have the MS-2i, but do the MS-1i. I imagine the MS-2i will respond with the comfy pads much like my MS-1i does: the bass viscerally improves as the comfy pad sort of "distributes" the bass more, but the bass also loses clarity and muddies some. The detail level of the MS2 may be able to overcome that, though -- not sure.

I gave up the comfy pads on my MS-1i long ago, opting for a mod of the MS-1000 mod -- see the MS-100 link in my sig.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 15
Still rocking the MS-100! Good for you, kmhaynes. There was a time, several months back, when I wasn't sure if you were going to remain content with that nifty idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 15
I thought the MS-1's came with bowl pads. Do the new ones come with comfy pads?

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the MS-1's came with bowl pads. Do the new ones come with comfy pads?

When I got one of the early MS-1i in Jan '09, and it came with comfy pads only. Had to buy the bowls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith
Still rocking the MS-100! Good for you, kmhaynes. There was a time, several months back, when I wasn't sure if you were going to remain content with that nifty idea.

Oh yeah! Every now and then I pull off the little extenders and try with bowls only, or put on the comfy pads, but within about 10 minutes, I'm back to the MS-100 configuration.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it and see,must be nearly the cheapest mod known to mankind.
popcorn.gif

Well, other than purchasing the bowls for $15 USD, the spray can lid was laying around in the garage (so maybe, $3 for the can of spray paint). Some blue painter's tape and black electrical tape -- that's it!!

(Sorry for hi-jacking the MS-2i thread -- back to it.)

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Hows the bowls? I heard some bad things about it , like shrill high end, no more bass, fatiguing.

Have to pay $40 to get it shipped so I'd want to know if i made the right decision

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it and see,must be nearly the cheapest mod known to mankind.
popcorn.gif

PS You got that tattoo yet Sampson?? We need pics...

I would love to enlighten the Head-fi community, but it's NSFW.

Just kidding... one of these days, though, I'll get a Grado-emblazoned skull & bones that's on fire with bat wings on my left cheek, I'm sure.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the MS-2i, but do the MS-1i. I imagine the MS-2i will respond with the comfy pads much like my MS-1i does: the bass viscerally improves as the comfy pad sort of "distributes" the bass more, but the bass also loses clarity and muddies some. The detail level of the MS2 may be able to overcome that, though -- not sure.

I gave up the comfy pads on my MS-1i long ago, opting for a mod of the MS-1000 mod -- see the MS-100 link in my sig.

Left a comment in that thread. I am using the MS-1 with distancers and bowls and it indeed sounds very good. Sounds like the MS-1 but better with some added soundstage.

As for the comfies.. I hate them. Hatehatehate. They sound very muddy.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't know about using comfies but flat pads were a big improvement to my MS2i. The flat pads really tame the highs and bass is much better.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i try both before on my MS1.
the clarity and soundstage really improved, but with a tradeoff of reduce the comfort and warm signature.
may be i used already the LM4562 in my sound card, so the improvement did not impressed me.
so, i still using the comfy pads.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about using comfies but flat pads were a big improvement to my MS2i. The flat pads really tame the highs and bass is much better.

comfy%20pads.jpg

is that wat u mean for flat pads?
i think flat pads = comfy since only 1 type of grado's pads can be say flat...
so, use the comfy MS2i is not really a bad idea?
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 15
actual pictures

(from Left to Right) comfy/soft pad >> flats >> bowls
1so02c.jpg

Grado Alessandro MS2i with comfies (sorry i forgot to tilt at least one of the drivers).. btw, all my Grados/Alessandros are comfies equipped as SQ quite pleasing for my ears through soft/comfy pads.. we have different ears and SQ taste, hence, YMMV

2cwo3g6.jpg

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flats are not comfies. Flat pads can be bought from TTVJ here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actual pictures

(from Left to Right) comfy/soft pad >> flats >> bowls
1so02c.jpg

Grado Alessandro MS2i with comfies (sorry i forgot to tilt at least one of the drivers).. btw, all my Grados/Alessandros are comfies equipped as SQ quite pleasing for my ears through soft/comfy pads..

i though it called holey pads.
now i understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we have different ears and SQ taste, hence, YMMV

2cwo3g6.jpg

i'm totally agree that..
different ppl has different definition for it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back