MS2i question
Sep 12, 2006 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

tyre

100+ Head-Fier
I have an (admittedly shallow) question about the Alessandro MS2i earcups. Is the entire earcup made of aluminum? I was looking at a picture of the SR325 and noticed that the only the outer section in made of aluminum while the inner section attached to the driver is plastic. I hope this isn't the case because this reminds me of the cheesy half-wood/half-plastic combo of the HF-1. It probably won't deter me from getting a pair, but I'm a fan of continuity and like the idea of solid aluminum throughout.

5.jpg

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 76
Yeah, the way I've always looked at it is the driver holder and the pad mating diameter may be plastic, but the resonating chamber and hardware mounting diameter, the important part, is aluminum.

Well,...at least that's how "I" see it!
smily_headphones1.gif

...to be honest, I wish it were all aluminum too.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

the driver holder and the pad mating diameter may be plastic, but the resonating chamber and hardware mounting diameter, the important part, is aluminum.

Well, in the HF-1 it's reversed. The driver holder, or the less important part, is wood while the outer section is plastic.

If I had a metal lathe and some skill, maybe I would make try to make a solid aluminum inner piece for the MS2's. That would be a mod I'd be willing to pay for (hint hint to the Headphile guy
wink.gif
).

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 76
Why don't you have the plastic portion of the MS2, replaced with wood. That way you would have a aluminum/wood hybrid. I don't think that has been done before, might sound nice.

- augustwest

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Why don't you have the plastic portion of the MS2, replaced with wood. That way you would have a aluminum/wood hybrid. I don't think that has been done before, might sound nice.

- augustwest

Because the driver is super glued to the plastic driver enclosure. I had planned on doing just that with my 325's when I woodied them... I was going to go with a one-piece wood enclosure, but there's no good way to separate the driver from the enclosure without causing damage. Hot-glue keeps the metal attached to the plastic enclosure, but the driver itself is in there to stay in my experience.

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Well, in the HF-1 it's reversed. The driver holder, or the less important part, is wood while the outer section is plastic.

If I had a metal lathe and some skill, maybe I would make try to make a solid aluminum inner piece for the MS2's. That would be a mod I'd be willing to pay for (hint hint to the Headphile guy
wink.gif
).

You could send a PM to Rhydon, he's done a lot of research on the inner workings of MS2's and might be able to help you out.

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

wink.gif
).

Trust me, I own the SR325 and SR325i and they are built like a tank. ABS is a tougher material than many people like to admit.

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
I had planned on doing just that with my 325's when I woodied them... I was going to go with a one-piece wood enclosure

glad you didn't, because i suspect you would have charged me more money
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

wink.gif
).

But with the HF-1, the wood housing goes right up to the end of the plastic touching the grille so to speak, so the plastic has no effect on the housing other than capping it off.

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 76
Yeah, I was dissapointed by that myself as well.

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
But with the HF-1, the wood housing goes right up to the end of the plastic touching the grille so to speak, so the plastic has no effect on the housing other than capping it off.

Oh, so that's what it's like internally. Was wondering about that. Interesting Grado trivia.

So it's mainly a mini RS-2 with a plastic cap! Fascinating!

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Trust me, I own the SR325 and SR325i and they are built like a tank. ABS is a tougher material than many people like to admit.

Bah, I need to have a solid chunk of metal against my ears, no more of this wimpy "plastic composite" stuff. Grado should metallize the entire MS2, from the earcups to the actual diaphragm. I want it to feel like I'm wearing a giant C-clamp on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Oh, so that's what it's like internally. Was wondering about that. Interesting Grado trivia.

So it's mainly a mini RS-2 with a plastic cap! Fascinating!

I am not sure if the MS-2 has plastic lining the whole chamber (from the front up) or has a short 'driver holder', with the aluminum cap making up the chamber. Still I photoshopped a photo of my old HF-1 (sold since):

wood.jpg

See the wood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back