MS2i: Good for electronica?
Aug 1, 2007 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Meloncoly

500+ Head-Fier
I listen to a variety of music. Whether it be rock, pop, piano solos, or even screechy anime music, I listen to them all. I plan to buy the MS2i but I'm not sure how the bass would sound when I'm listening to Industrial, Jungle, Drum & Bass, etc. Anyone who has the MS2i that can chime in? It would be very helpful. I used to own the MS1s /w comfies and that was fine enough for me. I will probably be getting some flats or tape mod the bowls.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 16
Generally I like the bass on the MS2i. I don't listen to much of the genres you listened to, but I just listened to some di.fm drum and bass channel, and roni size - railing, pt 2.

With the bowls I wasn't blown away, as there isn't quite enough bass. With comfies, I'd say it's pretty good. Tight, punchy, and enough bass for me, or close to it. Then again, I'm not a basshead, so ymmv.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 16
I see. Thanks for the input. Did you tape mod the bowls or is it just regular? I wonder how tape modded bowls sound like.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 16
I just got mine, so I'm still getting acquired to the sound along with letting them burn in.

But so far I do believe they are missing some bass impact I like for electronic.

They are amazing headphones though and loving every second they are on my head.

Should the flat pads help out with electronic?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 16
According to the reviews, it should. I believe that the MS2is come shipped with bowl pads right? Got some scotch tape Lowfront or Djarum? Just tape the outside of the bowl and then listen to it again. See how that sounds, since I'm interested!

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 16
My bowls are not tape modded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. Thanks for the input. Did you tape mod the bowls or is it just regular? I wonder how tape modded bowls sound like.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 16
My ms1 with tape mod was too much for me.

I'd expect more with the ms2i.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djarum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bowls are not tape modded.

Want to try tape modding it? It's very easy and VERY reversible if you don't like it ^_^

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ms1 with tape mod was too much for me.

I'd expect more with the ms2i.

Thanks for the input xnothingpoetic. I'm a basshead so that will probably be good news for me. Or I can just not use tape if it is too much.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion of the tape mod.

O MY WOW!!!!!
basshead.gif

I'm a big electronic guy and was really disappointed with these phones in the bass department. But holy crap they are perfect now.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 16
That's defintiely good to know. To make it look a little less ghetto, you could also use electricians tape (black) and have it match the pads, it's what I plan to do, and since the tape is thicker...the bass might be deeper...but don't take my word for it! Haha. Big thanks to Kramer for posting up the tape mod!

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 16
Has anyone done the sock mod with bowls on the MS2 or similar headphones? That should give a big healthy dose of 100% Head-Fi abhored bloated bass! I should hopefully be getting the MS2is soon, I can't wait!

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 16
Electrical tape, even the really good stuff, leaves behind a residue.

Just keep that in mind.

Maybe you could put down clear scotch tape down first and put the electrical tape down over it to hide it. or maybe they make black masking tape?

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 16
I can't decide if I should grab a pair of flats like my plan was or just stick to the tape mod.

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back